Aging and crying

Looda

My 15 year old husky is doing amazingly well for her age, she can still go on long, slow walks and can be playful and even bust out a run now and then when she feels sassy. She is on Rimadyl for her hind legs and Tramadol for general discomfort. The main problem is she will lie down and just cry and cry and cry, until I get mad at her or give her a massage. I have found advice for excessive howling (spray bottle with water) but I feel bad doing that to her at her age. Any advice? Do I just need to stop the behavior dead on with the spray bottle advice? I have taken her to vet and she is as healthy as she can be for her age but she loves to cry about it constantly!!!!

Lucky you to have had your husky to this age. I too, was one of the fortunate ones to share my life with my first husky for over 15 years. Cathy is another.

I strongly disagree with using the spray bottle. At 15, there could be many reasons for the crying. I would be interested in seeing a video of the crying. I think that would provide us with a better opportunity to see what's going on. (I'm no vet by any means, but sometimes seeing what's going on makes it easier to understand.)

My boy developed some interesting side effects to aging. From an absolute hate of being brushed (his skin became more sensitive to the point that grooming just plain hurt!) to more frequent dreaming (including some crying). He too was on Rimadyl.

Like the others said, I wouldn't use a spray bottle. She's probably crying for a reason - not for attention! I'd take her to the vet to check her out...maybe she's developing a tumor or cancer? They can be painful...

More on cancers/tumours: http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/canine-cancer-what-are-the-warning-signs.35926/

Welcome to the forum!

Is it anywhere she lays down that she cries? Or just on her bed? A new bed might be the solution either way - something firmer and supporting, but still comfortable to help alleviate any aches associated with laying down. Soft, cushy beds can actually be quite tough for older dogs to get out of, but so can just hard floor.

Over the years I've noticed that while some dogs get flinchy and dislike too much contact as they age, others go the opposite route and want constant contact and reassurance, even if they weren't overly affectionate before. It may be just as simple as that, in which case the crying is just another pain in the ass behaviour that does need to be corrected.

So once physical issues have been ruled out and if you determine she's just crying because she wants contact and attention (since she stops when you massage her), then you can incorporate some corrective training. If she stops when you correct her sharply, then teach her that when she's lying on her bed/chosen spot crying is not acceptable. If she wants attention, select a place to invite her to for pets or massage. Go here, you get attention, go there, you get left alone and no amount of complaining is going to get you anything, so be quiet about it!

My boy was 15, and would cry quite a bit when laying down. I didn't know what it was for the longest time (he moved great as well, loved to run and play with other dogs, walk, etc), I thought he maybe just wanted attention because he would settle when he got it. It started getting worse and I found out he had hip dysplasia, which I'm thinking was more than likely the underlying cause for the crying while laying down (the last day, he couldn't even lay down at all). I would definetly have her checked out again, just in case there is a problem. Siberians are such a stoic breed and can definetly push themselves, despite what they may be going through, so it's definetly worth looking into some more!

If she is crying for attention, spraying her might backfire, particularly if she moves suddenly, trying to escape the spray. If it is an attention-getting behavior, get yourself a pair of earplugs, and work at ignoring the behavior (difficult, I know - I have a couple of drama queens who can be very vocal and loud!). Massage has to help her in much the same way it helps us humans - gets the blood moving and loosens up sore muscles, joints an ligaments, so I'm not surprised she asks for it. Ravenwolf's advise above regarding teaching her that the crying doesn't get her what she wants, and appropriate behavior does get her what she wants is great! Good luck, and enjoy her as long as you have her!