need help from computer boffins!

Page file is not excessive in the slightest for a Vista OS. And in fact would not be supprised if it raised higher than this due to the amount of phisical RAM available to the machine.

I meant excessive as in Too large to function nicely.

Rule of thumb is Ram x 1.5 time physical ram size, If your page files massive your computer will just take free reign and fill your RAM up with crap leave it there and use the page file which is excessively slower. If your system thinks it has plenty of room to boot things into, consequently programs not managed correctly by garbage collection will just stay occupying the space because it can. Personally I got rid of my page file a while ago as it just slowed my system down.

also FYI Safer- Networking checks the checksums of all mirrors from their sites they are all perfectly safe.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant excessive as in Too large to function nicely.

Rule of thumb is Ram x 1.5 time physical ram size, If your page files massive your computer will just take free reign and fill your RAM up with crap leave it there and use the page file which is excessively slower.

OK if your after a technical answer instead. There are far to many factors to say that there is a rule of thumb for page file size. Your operating system, the architecture of your operating system, the speed of your ram, the amount of ram you have, what processes are running on your system on a perminant basis, the speed of the hdd in which the paging file is stored, whether or not the graphics chipset has any dedicated memory.

There is indeed however a situation where the x1.5 rule applies and this is where a business critical application usually running as a service on a perminant basis, would cause serious issues if it were to run from a paging file. For example a windows server machine that is run primarily for a SQL server implementation as the page file being any larger than this could cause serious disk contention issues and grind the reading of data to a steady halt.

If your system thinks it has plenty of room to boot things into, consequently programs not managed correctly by garbage collection will just stay occupying the space because it can. Personally I got rid of my page file a while ago as it just slowed my system down.

Sorry but bad programming is what usually leads to bad garbage collection by the system. Along with unfortunatly .NET, java and other memory managed applications at times. However I do agree than it can be advisable to reduce the size of your page file or even get rid of it completely. This should never however be recommended to a user who does not know what they are doing. Me and you may speed up our systems considerably by tweaking performance in this way, however your general user will more often than now cause more harm to performance than good. Especially with that amount of memory on a windows vista machine.

also FYI Safer- Networking checks the checksums of all mirrors from their sites they are all perfectly safe.

I know this already, however didnt know that the site you posted was a safernetworking mirror. Neither did the user and therefore should have been pointed to the safernetworking site where they could chose a mirror for themselves IMO.

Dont get me wrong, Im not arguing with you. You clearly have a lot of knowledge behind you. However you do at times seem to assume that others dont and this may not always be the case.

wow i need to stop reading this thread you're hurting my brain cell!!!!!:huskyfall:

Lol...yeh it may as well be latin for all I understand! So far i've gathered....explorer is pants avoid like the plague...there are no vicious bugs attacking my laptop...blue is the colour of death...and my laptop is at that age where its ready for its pensioners bus pass so be prepared for early onzet laptop alzheimers....oh and back up all work a million times...it might not survive the night!

Lol...yeh it may as well be latin for all I understand! So far i've gathered....explorer is pants avoid like the plague...there are no vicious bugs attacking my laptop...blue is the colour of death...and my laptop is at that age where its ready for its pensioners bus pass so be prepared for early onzet laptop alzheimers....oh and back up all work a million times...it might not survive the night!

:doglaugh::doglaugh::doglaugh:

OK if your after a technical answer ...

At least you also know what your talking about too, the depth of this thread comes down to upgrade your ram IMO.

Yea, you can't recommend that to another user, page files bah...

In any case I can know as much as I like but can still be proved wrong, and it's always a good thing really. I mean it's possible things change over time and someone just says ' not the case now it changed here etc.

Yea the amount of people I saw going through uni not using good garbage collection for their games for example was awful, funny when it blue screened though.

Did you scan with Malwarebytes or Spybot ?

In my experience as I use 3, they find things the others don't, as Me and Marc said it does look like their is some nasties there.

Agreed .. there are toolbars there at least that would more than likely be picked up. I saw you used malwarebytes. Did you update it before scanning? Also did you do it with full scan?

4 hours lol. I went to training and came back and it was still going. And then came up empty anyway.

As I say theres certain factors Processor speed Hard drive Speed, How many cycles it gets on the cpu ( Time its using the cpu ) if you have other programs running they will take time and so on,, on slower comps I usually disable the active Antivirus scanner while it scans, but always go offline. And as Marc has said you have pretty low RAM for Vista Just a thought to add a little speed turn off all the visual effects that Vista adds.

As I say theres certain factors Processor speed Hard drive Speed, How many cycles it gets on the cpu ( Time its using the cpu ) if you have other programs running they will take time and so on,, on slower comps I usually disable the active Antivirus scanner while it scans, but always go offline. And as Marc has said you have pretty low RAM for Vista Just a thought to add a little speed turn off all the visual effects that Vista adds.

Erm....soooo...how do I do that then? Is it in the control panelly bit?

Erm....soooo...how do I do that then? Is it in the control panelly bit?

Sorry should have said *slaps self*

Pasted from windows Site

362325ab-443c-4fec-988b-530f0a809cd6_16.png

To adjust all visual effects for best performance:

1. Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47.png, clickingControl Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Performance Information and Tools.

2. Click Adjust visual effects. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_41.png If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click the Visual Effects tab, click Adjust for best performance, and then click OK. (For a less drastic option, select Let Windows choose what’s best for my computer.)

Pasted from windows Site

[*]Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button , clickingControl Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Performance Information and Tools.

[*]Click Adjust visual effects. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

[*]Click the Visual Effects tab, click Adjust for best performance, and then click OK. (For a less drastic option, select Let Windows choose what’s best for my computer.)

Thanks! You must've figured out by now that i'm pretty dim on the computer front haha.

Pasted from windows Site

[*]Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button , clickingControl Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Performance Information and Tools.

[*]Click Adjust visual effects. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

[*]Click the Visual Effects tab, click Adjust for best performance, and then click OK. (For a less drastic option, select Let Windows choose what’s best for my computer.)

Woah...it looks proper old school now! Haha!