need help from computer boffins!

Okay so having a mare with this stupid essay i'm writing...lost 1000 words on saturday (remaining 1700 retrieved using wordpad) then today...laptop showed a blue screen that said -windows has encountered a problem'...couldn't read more it shut down too fast. So, lost an hour of work then (just putting references in so not tooo bad).

Since that been saving about every ten mins under same name and under new name. Now have discovered that I can save a piece...close it...then when I go to reopen the formatting is gone...any bold, italics, underlining, double spacing...font size....all gone. Currently have a fully intact piece saved and sent to my hotmail cloud so it can stay there until I go back to it tomo.

But...can anyone tell me...based on this (very little info I know) if its the software thats screwing everything up or my laptop. It especially seems to struggle if I have any internet pages open and gets reeeaaaalllly slow (its painful).

Any ideas? Laptop is about to get up close and personal with my hammer!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you tell me the specifications of your computer?

CPU speed ?

Ram?

Windows Version ?

Do you have an antivirus?

Have you scanned for spyware?

What browser do you use ?

Bleddy hell now your asking.

Antivirus...yes and scanned.

Its running vista.

Think the RAM is...small...erm.1gb maybe from what I can remember...possibly smaller according to the OH.

Browser....its internet explorer 7...or 9....not sure it updated not too long ago and I think its running google chrome.

Oh and I have noo idea what CPU usage means.

Its pretty old...bought in 2008...and its a samsung r60 I think. (i'm pretty useless sorry)

Right Lets try this then ^_^ Press the windows key + R

Type 'DXDIAG' Press enter...

When the box appears press Save all information

then upload that file it will show the computer info so I can help.

Alternatively paste it into here http://pastebin.com/

On another note ---

what antivirus is it ?

Have you scanned for spyware

dont use Internet explorer ever it sucks, use Chrome.

Right Lets try this then ^_^ Press the windows key + R

Type 'DXDIAG' Press enter...

When the box appears press Save all information

then upload that file it will show the computer info so I can help.

Alternatively paste it into here http://pastebin.com/

On another note ---

what antivirus is it ?

Have you scanned for spyware

dont use Internet explorer ever it sucks, use Chrome.

Sorry for the delay...I was on phone last night and fell asleep!

This is what it says.

Done it to me again today though....closed my work then reopened and it had no formatting anymore. Thankfully it was a copy that I'd emailed to myself so got it back.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 2/14/2012, 19:59:17

Machine name: TAMSIN

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.111025-0338)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.

System Model: R59P/R60P/R61P

BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL

Processor: Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU T2330 @ 1.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.6GHz

Memory: 766MB RAM

Page File: 1203MB used, 589MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)

DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)

DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)

DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)

DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)

DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)

DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------

Display Devices

:headbang:

Impossible to tell from that information as it will only show what you have hardware wise. It will show problems but by the time it shows them you would have more problems than what you have, other than showing up for update of device drivers etc.

Most likley reason I would guess, especially given the amount of time you are likley spending on it lately, is that its overheating. So:

1. How long you had the computer?

2. Where were you using it when it crashed and just beforehand? On your lap?, on bed? desk? etc etc

EDIT:

Also you def do not have enough memory in that computer to run the operating system you have (Windows Vista). It is above the recommended, but in reality it will simply run very slow.

Blue screens of death are almost always caused by hardware failure. This *could* be the first signs of a dying laptop, but it could also very well be an overheating laptop like Marc said.

The other part, about markup getting lost, sounds like a different problem to me. I can't see how hardware issues (or even harddrive issues) could randomly remove the markup from your documents. Are you sure aren't saving it as a plain text format like .txt?

However, if I where you I would look around for any important files you have on your laptop and backup them asap. Blue screens are always bad and if it's indeed a sign it's dying your laptop could potentially stop booting any time now... It's never too early to backup.

Impossible to tell from that information as it will only show what you have hardware wise. It will show problems but by the time it shows them you would have more problems than what you have, other than showing up for update of device drivers etc.

Most likley reason I would guess, especially given the amount of time you are likley spending on it lately, is that its overheating. So:

1. How long you had the computer?

2. Where were you using it when it crashed and just beforehand? On your lap?, on bed? desk? etc etc

EDIT:

Also you def do not have enough memory in that computer to run the operating system you have (Windows Vista). It is above the recommended, but in reality it will simply run very slow.

Its pretty old.Bought it when I was in Uni....erm....early 2008.

Been using it on one of those trays that you get for old people with a cushion underneath so it sits comfy on your lap! hehe! I love mine. But have had it resting on the lip of the tray so there was a gap underneath.

Vista came with it and have said quite a few times since then that it shouldn't have Vista on it but people always put me off changing it.

All my mega important stuff is now on an external hard drive and I have finally finished and sent in my essay so can breathe now ha!

Like you Jos, the "twist" to this is that it's losing the formatting. Loading a formatted document and then trying to save it as an unformatted doc results in the "document may lose formatting" message ... they'd have to respond to that even before the save.

I kinda tend to agree with Marc, it seriously looks like this poor little box is probably overheating. 3/4 of a gig isn't enough to run the os, an antivirus and an app without it having to work is poor little heart out. The paging file is almost twice the size of the ram which indicates that it's doing some heavy swapping.

Blue screens of death are almost always caused by hardware failure. This *could* be the first signs of a dying laptop, but it could also very well be an overheating laptop like Marc said.

The other part, about markup getting lost, sounds like a different problem to me. I can't see how hardware issues (or even harddrive issues) could randomly remove the markup from your documents. Are you sure aren't saving it as a plain text format like .txt?

However, if I where you I would look around for any important files you have on your laptop and backup them asap. Blue screens are always bad and if it's indeed a sign it's dying your laptop could potentially stop booting any time now... It's never too early to backup.

Everything is backed up on an external hard drive now. The formatting though....seriously don't get it. Was saving as a word doc....checked everything was normal.....and on one or two occasions I'd save...close document but not word and reopen but formatting was gone...then when i closed word and opened from scratch the formatting was back. So, by that point, I was just happy that my essay was all there, all correct and got it sent off! Its now in my cloud...so laptop can do what it likes now haha!

Like you Jos, the "twist" to this is that it's losing the formatting. Loading a formatted document and then trying to save it as an unformatted doc results in the "document may lose formatting" message ... they'd have to respond to that even before the save.

I kinda tend to agree with Marc, it seriously looks like this poor little box is probably overheating. 3/4 of a gig isn't enough to run the os, an antivirus and an app without it having to work is poor little heart out. The paging file is almost twice the size of the ram which indicates that it's doing some heavy swapping.

Woah...that whole thing may as well be in German! I'm starting to feel sorry for my little laptop now! Lol!

The page files excessive, lets see if this blue screens been caused by any ninja programs ( my term for malware) on your computer.

Run it (As Administrator) and save a log file paste that here lets see what clogging up the memory and if we can speed things up. Make sure the entire log file gets on here though. as it may cut off from a limit.

See next post...

Leo, I had to look twice ... it probably would have been better had you sent them to HiJackThis.exe which is the direct download site. (( as well as being a bit more current than the 2.0.2 that your link sends them to )) Some of us know what HiJack is but sending a newbie there is stands a pretty good chance of scaring them off. *I'm* not downloading an exe that I don't know anything about from a site that I don't know anything about on the recommendation of someone who's pretty new to the forum.

<< consider your toes stepped all over, but I think you see what I'm saying .... >>

I don't think there'll be any problem getting the whole log file into a message here, they allow some pretty huge messages ... //al

Leo, I had to look twice ... it probably would have been better had you sent them to HiJackThis.exe which is the direct download site. (( as well as being a bit more current than the 2.0.2 that your link sends them to )) Some of us know what HiJack is but sending a newbie there is stands a pretty good chance of scaring them off. *I'm* not downloading an exe that I don't know anything about from a site that I don't know anything about on the recommendation of someone who's pretty new to the forum.

<< consider you toes stepped all over, but I think you see what I'm saying .... >>

editing ....

I get where your coming from that's fine but in all fairness I am not holding the guy at gunpoint just trying to help, I never said he had to do it but I get your point.

<< Laughing >> At least TrendMicro hasn't completely corrupted the thing yet. Back in the early days, when Peter Norton wrote most of his stuff himself, I loved his products then Symantec bought him out and, to be generous, Nortons Products are not good!

Also, the guy (last time I looked at the avatar area) is a gal, but on the internet, who knows...

Yeh, I'd be interested in seeing what her HiJack log looks like too. It is one of the better tools for some things.....

<< Laughing >> At least TrendMicro hasn't completely corrupted the thing yet. Back in the early days, when Peter Norton wrote most of his stuff himself, I loved his products then Symantec bought him out and, to be generous, Nortons Products are not good!

Also, the guy (last time I looked at the avatar area) is a gal, but on the internet, who knows...

Yeh, I'd be interested in seeing what her HiJack log looks like too. It is one of the better tools for some things.....

Agreed We shall See. ^_^ While We Wait a Toast To Freeware Tools That Are Awesome.

<< consider your toes stepped all over, but I think you see what I'm saying .... >>

I don't think there'll be any problem getting the whole log file into a message here, they allow some pretty huge messages ... //al

Ohh i'm so easily confused. Do I need to just go to this link and it'll do what? Oh my poor wee laptop!

And yups...thanks Al, I am in fact a girl! Lol! (am I still allowed to say girl if i'm almost 30? :-S)

Ohh i'm so easily confused. Do I need to just go to this link and it'll do what? Oh my poor wee laptop!

And yups...thanks Al, I am in fact a girl! Lol! (am I still allowed to say girl if i'm almost 30? :-S)

Press on the link and it will download a file, open it ^_^ after you open it Click 'Scan' after the bar at the top stops it will allow you to click 'Save Log', open the log and paste it in here <3 we will take a look.

Press on the link and it will download a file, open it ^_^ after you open it Click 'Scan' after the bar at the top stops it will allow you to click 'Save Log', open the log and paste it in here <3 we will take a look.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4

Scan saved at 14:05:55, on 15/02/2012

Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v9.00 (9.00.8112.16421)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe

C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe

C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe

C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe

C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.exe

C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe

C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.bin

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe

C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe

C:\Users\Tamsin\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

C:\Users\Tamsin\Downloads\HijackThis (2).exe

C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://uk.msn.com/?ocid=OIE9HP

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://uk.msn.com/?ocid=OIE9HP

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.koower.com/

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer, optimized for Bing and MSN

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =

R3 - URLSearchHook: UrlSearchHook Class - {00000000-6E41-4FD3-8538-502F5495E5FC} - C:\Program Files\Ask.com\GenericAskToolbar.dll

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {ca4eedb3-5719-4e27-a478-8d13f761c28d} - (no file)

O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll

O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll

O2 - BHO: Ask Toolbar BHO - {D4027C7F-154A-4066-A1AD-4243D8127440} - C:\Program Files\Ask.com\GenericAskToolbar.dll

O2 - BHO: Java Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Ask Toolbar - {D4027C7F-154A-4066-A1AD-4243D8127440} - C:\Program Files\Ask.com\GenericAskToolbar.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (reboot)] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /runcleanupscript

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 3.3.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe

O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab

O16 - DPF: {E77F23EB-E7AB-4502-8F37-247DBAF1A147} (Windows Live Hotmail Photo Upload Tool) - http://gfx1.hotmail.com/mail/w4/pr01/photouploadcontrol/VistaMSNPUplden-gb.cab

O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll

O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll

O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\Windows\system32\browseui.dll

O23 - Service: Agere Modem Call Progress Audio (AgereModemAudio) - Agere Systems - C:\Windows\system32\agrsmsvc.exe

O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

O23 - Service: AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe

O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe

O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe

O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe

O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe

O23 - Service: Sony Ericsson PCCompanion - Avanquest Software - C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Sony Ericsson PC Companion\PCCService.exe

--

End of file - 6845 bytes

I'm not totally sure if I've copied and pasted the right thing... :confused:

Theres a few nastys there you may wanna run a malware detector

Heres one : http://www.antispyware-downloadserver.com/programme/spybotsd162.exe

Feel free to wait for someone to vouch for it :)

You really don't have many running processes wither so that's not a source of slow downs or blue screens.

Install the software > Update it to latest definitions > Scan and Press fix problems at the top

You really don't have many running processes wither so that's not a source of slow downs or blue screens.

Install the software > Update it to latest definitions > Scan and Press fix problems at the top

I have AVG...is that the same kind of thing?

Vista came with it and have said quite a few times since then that it shouldn't have Vista on it but people always put me off changing it.

In that case those people are giving you extremely bad advice. Vista is one of only 2 operating systems of microsofts that I would categorise as being a disaster. Would stick with XP or upgrade to 7 and get more memory to support it IMO.

The page files excessive, lets see if this blue screens been caused by any ninja programs ( my term for malware) on your computer.

See next post...

Page file is not excessive in the slightest for a Vista OS. And in fact would not be supprised if it raised higher than this due to the amount of phisical RAM available to the machine.

I will vouch for the fact there are things running on your computer that shouldnt be, however please please do not download from the site above. Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus programs should only be downloaded from the website of the people who wrote them in the first place. Never download them from a third party site. How do you know your not simply installing another set of malware programs? If it were me, thats where I would hide them.

The program above is spybot S&D and the official site is www.safer-networking.org. This one will get rid of most things, however have always preferred malwarebytes as it seems to be more effective against "Stubborn Stains". You can find this at http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and the free version is fine.

I have AVG...is that the same kind of thing?

As said above no its not the same thing. Think of it this way. Viruses are something which are generally there to destroy data, break your computer, comprimise your computer etc etc. Whereas Spyware are there in order to gain information to then advertise to you or get you to buy things. Malware is a collective term for both. AVG Free is a virus checker, Malwarebytes and Spybot are Malware removal programs.

In that case those people are giving you extremely bad advice. Vista is one of only 2 operating systems of microsofts that I would categorise as being a disaster. Would stick with XP or upgrade to 7 and get more memory to support it IMO.

Page file is not excessive in the slightest for a Vista OS. And in fact would not be supprised if it raised higher than this due to the amount of phisical RAM available to the machine.

I will vouch for the fact there are things running on your computer that shouldnt be, however please please do not download from the site above. Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus programs should only be downloaded from the website of the people who wrote them in the first place. Never download them from a third party site. How do you know your not simply installing another set of malware programs? If it were me, thats where I would hide them.

The program above is spybot S&D and the official site is www.safer-networking.org. This one will get rid of most things, however have always preferred malwarebytes as it seems to be more effective against "Stubborn Stains". You can find this at http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and the free version is fine.

As said above no its not the same thing. Think of it this way. Viruses are something which are generally there to destroy data, break your computer, comprimise your computer etc etc. Whereas Spyware are there in order to gain information to then advertise to you or get you to buy things. Malware is a collective term for both. AVG Free is a virus checker, Malwarebytes and Spybot are Malware removal programs.

Already had malwarebytes on the laptop so that is running now. Didn't use that link coz I knew I had the malware one anyway. AVG scan was clear.

Memory...we tried putting extra memory in a few weeks ago (well the OH did.... I haven't a clue ...which is probably quite clear lol) but it seemed to cause the whole thing to crash repeatedly. The OH said that it was the only thing he could think of as it was the only thing he'd changed.

A new question then...how easy is it to get rid of vista and use something that needs less memory?

By the way...thanks very much everyone for all your help! Have also downloaded chrome and it is much better than what I was using before so thats a bonus. :-)