I feel like Im failing with his aggression

Sorry I really dont know what to suggest...? But I think everyone has given top advice and defo think you should look into having them snipped I really think it could be a big help in calming thigs down!! I really really hope things work out for you and that things get better between marley & gizmo. :D

Keep us posted x x x x Big pawhugs to ya x x x x x

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

another update, not had a call from her yet but we did manage to get Marley and Gizmo to start getting close to each other again. Had to a cheat a little bit as I waited until Marley had gone to sleep in the living room and then I was just walking past him with Gizmo a few times and then Gizmo just wondered over and went to sleep fairly close to him :) I have found Gizmo only seems to want to avoid Marley when Marley stares at him.

I spoke to jamie last night about the behaviourist and he didnt look too happy about it! Jamie would rather take the chance and have Marley castrated but IMO there is nothing saying that will work and with what happened to Butch (My Rottie) when I had him castrated I am very nervous about getting Marley done until I know I can trust the vets! I did explain this to natalie that if I can help put the pack to normal again without castrating for now, I would be much happier. I think jamies biggest worry is the cost (but if we had Marley castrated then we would have to have the rest of them done aswell so thats going to be just as pricey) but I can't think of any other routes we could take at the moment and I would rather have this dealt with now rather than later when it could have increased even more!

Best of luck with this, Diesel has always been dog aggressive unfortunately, from the first day we brought him home and he stood in the corner of the kitchen barking at the other dogs. I have tried the dominance/alpha thing with him, but it didn't really seem to work, I even had a Jan Fennell accredited behaviourist out to him, and she told me to do the walking thru doors first, eating before him etc, etc, etc. That didn't really work, we had a foster dog here that Diesel would fight with constantly.

However, now I don't do that anymore, I don't know how it happened but he will listen to me when I tell him to stop. I'm not sure if its because I'm working him more, and so maybe he sees me as part of his team, rather than me trying to dominate him and he respects me - dunno. I have gone over more to the opinion that dogs don't see us humans as part of their pack, and so don't understand when we try to be the alpha with them. However, I do totally believe that they have an order amongst themselves, and trying to balance that properly can be very difficult.

Anyway, my point really is that I have heard from a number of different sources that neutering the dominant male in a pack situation like that doesn't work, you need to neuter the ones underneath him in the pack order. So that the dominance is increased, if you see what I mean. The others then won't challenge him, so that he doesn't feel the need to impose himself on them. Just another slant on it, lots of people have different theories on lots of things.

Natalie called me earlier this evening (she did appologise for it being a bit late but she had been having a hectic day and had emailed me earlier saying this too). She asked me a few more different questions like our different routines, etc etc. After speaking with her I feel much more confident about going with her:) She also mentioned that it sounded like Marley and Gizmo are having clashed with each other, hense the fighting, and they are currently going through their "terrible teenager" stage which doesnt help. Another point she said was to watch Bandit as well as sometime it is the quiet one you have to watch - saying that I tried to get Bandot out of his crate today so he could go outside and he actually nearly had my hand!

She certainly sounds like she knows what she is on about and has said she is willing to help me and Jamie and his family to become the pack leaders and show what skills we need to be able to read what they are telling us :) I think the big difficulty will be getting sence out of Jamie and his dad as they are both stubborn blokes and dont appreciate being told what to do!

It does look like it is going to cost a fair bit but it is still working out cheaper than getting them all castrated and we are looking at more of a success having someone advising us of what to do :) She is also happy with us paying in 2 payments instead of all in one go :) Although Jamie and his dad isnt keen on the idea but I think its defiantely worth a go at least, I think jamie forgets that Im walking them everyday wondering when Marley is going to go into attack mode next or when they are going to get into a fight at home?

My battery on here is just about to die, will keep you updated when we have had a discussion about the options (there is only one in my opinion) and if we go ahead with natalie or not and if not what we are going to do and if we do I will make up another thread like a diary on how things go :)

Thanks everyone for their support and thanks again to Jo for putting me in touch with natalie :)

Aw, Amy, that's good news, you certainly sound, by your writing, a lot more confident you can get to the bottom of this with Natalie's guidance & assistance, I appreciate the men having their say, too, but you have to think of what is right for the boys as a pack & how to resolve their issues. Good luck with it, hun, x

Oh fantastic!!

Hope your hand's ok, was he playing or being fairly aggressive?

I think keeping a diary even if you don't post it on here would be a really good idea - it can give you things to revert back to and also for this lady to see how you are doing.

I hope Jamie and his dad come round, men are such stubborn buggers at time lol

Good luck hun and keep us posted!

Wow, you sound so much better today, i'm pleased that Natalie is able to help you. The men will come round in the end you just have to remember that you are not doing this for them you are doing this for the benefit of the pack. I can't wait to read about the exciting journey that you are about to take with your boys.

Loads of hugs, Jo.Xx

Still not managed to get an answer from the lads yet. Stubborn could be a good word to describe them as (I can think of a few more but will not repeat them here ;))

Edwina is happy for me to go ahead and is willing to take some advise. The lads think that she will be ordering us on what to do, when she wouldn't she would be guiding us on how we can become pack leaders and live a long and happy life with them without the worry of aggression, dominance, etc etc Also like I said in other post they are also worried about the cost (Darn men, worry too much about things like that! I would rather be skint and be pack leader than have money and no control over my boys)

another update. They have now agreed to letting Natalie come and help us, I will hopefully calling her on Monday to arrange our first consultation :) We just need the weekend to sort out how we are going to pay it (either in one go or in bits).

just going to send her an email now to let her know whats going on and hopefully by Monday we will have our consultation sorted :)

another update. They have now agreed to letting Natalie come and help us, I will hopefully calling her on Monday to arrange our first consultation :) We just need the weekend to sort out how we are going to pay it (either in one go or in bits).

just going to send her an email now to let her know whats going on and hopefully by Monday we will have our consultation sorted :)

Oh wow, i am so pleased for you, keep us posted on how you go, take care hunni, loads of hugs, Jo.Xxx