Spay Incotinence

Hi every1, i was jst wondering if u'd heard of Spay Incotinence??

When we got Sassy spayed the vet never warned us this could happen! A few weeks ago i noticed a wet patch on my bed where sassy had been lying i smelt it, it didnt smell like wee & because my bed covers are brown it didnt leave any stain, i was confussed, It happened a couple times more & when i looked she was leaking wee & she didnt know she was doing it, so i started searching the net see what was wrong & this is what i found

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2182526/Dog-Urinary-Incontinence-and-Treatment

It looks like she might have 2 take a hormone tablet 'Pink Pill' once a week so i have her booked in the vets 4 friday!

It must be a pretty rare condition. We've probably had 120+ bitches spayed since we started SHWA(UK) and have not had a single case that we are aware of, so I'm not surprised the vet never mentioned it as a possibility. Hope Sassy responds well to treatment.

Mick

It can happen, apparently it can be more common in young bitches (i.e. under 12 months of age).

My friend had her two pups, from the same litter, desexed at the same time. They were six months old. They are now two years old and both are now incontinent. She will never again desex bitches at this age, although many dogs are desexed at this age and younger, after her experience she won't risk it again.

It can happen, apparently it can be more common in young bitches (i.e. under 12 months of age).

Maybe that's the important factor. The vast majority of the SHWA(UK) bitches that we have had spayed are over 12 months. I'm not really a fan of early neutering in either dogs or bitches.

Mick

We got her spayed at 16 months, if we knew that it could happen we would of got Diesel neutured instead as he was used as stud & Sassy is 1 of his daughter's so we had 2 get 1 of them done!!

I noticed more as it happening everyday now, 2-3 times a day so something has 2b done. It's not a water infection as she's not drinking anymore than usual, she's eating the same, she in not in pain when she wee's. I will let u know what the vet says

We had Zoya spayed between six and seven months of age. Our vet gave us a form that explained the complications and the risks. Incontinance was listed. Our vet told us that less than 1% of the dogs that are spayed at less than 1 year of age encounter the problem. He also told us we could wait on Zoya, but the risk of complications, including incontinance, would rise, but only slightly.

A urinary tract infection can also cause leaking. You've done the right thing by making an appointment with your vet.

Awww poor girl, must be confusing for her :( We have bro and sis so when Alaska came on her 1st heat (8months) we knew we had to get one done. There was some talk of studding Balto, i think we even put up an add for like a week but it was jokeable >> Balto is so not stud material so the choice was pretty easy, getting the males done is a simple snip and remove...its even cheaper. Unfortunetely the girl's is a more complex op and has more complications afterwards. Saying this i have friends who spayed at 6 months and are fine, one of my friends spayed their GSD after her 2nd heat cycle and when her 3rd was due she got symptoms of pregnancy...she even got a big belly. I will fix Alaska but after she has finished growing, i dpmt see the urgency to rush, some people never fix unless its medical!

Maybe that's the important factor. The vast majority of the SHWA(UK) bitches that we have had spayed are over 12 months. I'm not really a fan of early neutering in either dogs or bitches.

Mick

It could be - although from everything I know, spay incontinence is very uncommon and can affect bitches that were desexed older as well. I don't know that any research has been done to confirm the theory that it is more common in bitches who were desexed younger, but it does make sense (i.e. desexing them before they have fully developed and in some cases even fully developed bladder control).