German Sheps and health problems...

Elyse

So, I'm thinking for my next dog I might get a GSD until I can get another husky.

But, I'm concerned over the MANY health problems they face. Is it all from poor breeding? Or, even if you get your pup from a responsible breeder that shows her dogs...they could still develop these conditions?

I've always loved GSDs, but I think what puts me off is their health problems.

Are there any other breeds similar to the GSD (temperament, looks, exercise requirements, etc) that don't have as many health problems?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find most of the GSD have weird hips when they are purebred but a think a good breeder would be your safest bet. There are so many different lines/types of GSD like old world/old style, american show line, west german show line, european working lines, DDR lines, czec german lines, british german lines ,north american lines, old american show line and they all kinda look different and some are more prone to health issues then others tho I think some lines are grouped together with other lines under one name :confused: its confusing.

What about a belgian shepherd? or a shiloh shepherd?

Landon.jpg

^Shiloh shepherd

German shepherd are like most large breeds they can end up with conditions I've had gsd all my life. Tia had no health issues till we got her spayed she was a ex police dog she never showed any signs of bad hips or anything till I got her done then she got really ill and it just got worse so we choose to put her sleep after she had 5 seizures in one day and couldn't walk. Hollie we got from a pup her dad was a police dog and had fab lines and brilliant hips and eyes 0/0 for his hips and mother was a pet ex show dog she was hip and eye tested with a 3/3 score so brilliant results she is 2 now and in perfect health we was goin to get her checked but vets said to wait till she older as gsd can get bad hips later on.

I am not sure how German Shepherd lines are there in Canada, but here, I would definitely stay away from show lines... some of those dogs look just awful and like they can't walk properly. It seems that nowadays most breeders are less concerned with actually working their dogs, but producing dogs that do well in the show ring, without actually making sure that the dog can function properly. In particular, I hate seeing all those dogs that are really hunched.

I guess it's a bit of a gamble, I wouldn't be inclined to go for one as it would be a huge hassle to find a good breeder. Definitely go for a working line, if you do. These are generally healthier and I would imagine as they are used for work, they have better hips in general. Hip testing is definitely a must.

Belgian Shepherds are a good substitute for GSDs. Malinois are used by the police quite often and they are similar to the GSD, in temperament and looks.

I also like Tervurens. My neighbour used to have one, she was a fantastic dog. very obedient, but friendly at the same time. Unfortunately, she passed due to cancer, but she was a very good dog.

This is a Tervuren.

belgian_shepherd_tervuren-15284.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

I've been looking at the Belgian Shep as well...but there are no breeders in Canada (that I can find) so apparently they're a rare breed over here. :(

How would I find a breeder that breeds her GSDs from working lines? How would I find a responsible breeder in general?

Try going to germnasheperds.com the forum on there has been really helpful to me since I got Diesel. I haven't frequented it much (cause I've been here :P or at work) but they are a pretty good site. Also there's a German Sheperd Dog Community on FB that may be able to help to alot of people on there have working dogs :) Nothing better than talking to those that are as obsessed with the breed as we are with huskies :D

So, I'm thinking for my next dog I might get a GSD until I can get another husky.

But, I'm concerned over the MANY health problems they face. Is it all from poor breeding? Or, even if you get your pup from a responsible breeder that shows her dogs...they could still develop these conditions?

I've always loved GSDs, but I think what puts me off is their health problems.

Are there any other breeds similar to the GSD (temperament, looks, exercise requirements, etc) that don't have as many health problems?

hi hun ...i had gsd s .for for about 18 years ....mine were what i called the old fashioned original gsd ....then they began breeding what they called the germanic ..on a taller leg ..with a roach back ....to me a gsd is a breed with body . and the typical streamline stance .....but that is only my opinion ...have a good look round before you decide ...they really are a wonderful dog ...ps ...proberbly no more health problems ...than most breeds ...

I find most of the GSD have weird hips when they are purebred but a think a good breeder would be your safest bet. There are so many different lines/types of GSD like old world/old style, american show line, west german show line, european working lines, DDR lines, czec german lines, british german lines ,north american lines, old american show line and they all kinda look different and some are more prone to health issues then others tho I think some lines are grouped together with other lines under one name :confused: its confusing.

What about a belgian shepherd? or a shiloh shepherd?

Landon.jpg

^Shiloh shepherd

beautiful specimin ...of the breed ...hes a beauty

my boss told me that the gsd with the sloped back have more issues with their hips than the straight backed ones not sure if thats true or not dont really know much about them yet still learning about them lol i hope you come to a decision of what breed you want xx

A metric shitload of GSD and crosses go through shelters every year (yep, I will always plug adoption over purchase!). In my personal experience, I have gotten 3 GSD crosses via rescue (one was from a private farm, not a facility) and have known at least 4 more, and they have all been wonderful dogs. The only one with health issues was also the only purebred - he had the worst hip dysplasia I've ever seen. His right hind actually crossed over the paw print of the left fore and vice versa! My old riding coach had a purebred with no health issues (to my knowledge, anyway).

But personally, I LOOOOVE GSDs! They've always been my favourite breed. Basically, if you want to go for guaranteed health and breed standards, I'd look for German lines, not North American ones - meaning, the parents are from Germany or have been breed standard tested in Germany. They would cost probably a lot more, but in order to be registered and given "permission" to breed each dog has to go through a series of rigorous tests in ability, temperament, health, etc. I would figure that would be the only way to guarantee true quality.

This page is a fascinating read, and it's clear that the person who wrote the article doesn't think much of North American breeding as a whole!

http://www.ottogsd.com/GermanvsAmericanlines.htm

Our Thunder is from a working line, she's practically bomb proof, the indestructible dog. Even with all the known spinal and hip issues ours has smashed herself unconscious and compressed the vertibrae in her neck and was so badly injured that even the vets said to give up...two years on from that and now well over 8 years old she's still soldiering on, seemingly has more energy than our huskamute, and still insists on chasing after everything possible even though her accident paralysed her front paws.

IMG_3213.jpg

I've always loved GSDs, but on the same note I've always avoided them because of the health issues, the only reason we have Thunder is because we were initially looking after her while she was being rehomed, but after her accident we decided that we would keep her. Avoid show lines where possible, working lines are a safer bet at avoiding some of the more sinister problems although they're by no means going to be free of them.

re- the distance, it would probably be worth waiting until the pup is a bit older and ask if the breeder can accustom it to being in a car before making such a long journey. Schedule plenty of regular breaks and take someone with you that is prepared to get wet!

I am not sure how German Shepherd lines are there in Canada, but here, I would definitely stay away from show lines... some of those dogs look just awful and like they can't walk properly. It seems that nowadays most breeders are less concerned with actually working their dogs, but producing dogs that do well in the show ring, without actually making sure that the dog can function properly. In particular, I hate seeing all those dogs that are really hunched.

I guess it's a bit of a gamble, I wouldn't be inclined to go for one as it would be a huge hassle to find a good breeder. Definitely go for a working line, if you do. These are generally healthier and I would imagine as they are used for work, they have better hips in general. Hip testing is definitely a must.

Belgian Shepherds are a good substitute for GSDs. Malinois are used by the police quite often and they are similar to the GSD, in temperament and looks.

I also like Tervurens. My neighbour used to have one, she was a fantastic dog. very obedient, but friendly at the same time. Unfortunately, she passed due to cancer, but she was a very good dog.

This is a Tervuren.

belgian_shepherd_tervuren-15284.jpg

my friend breeds belgian shepherds and one of hers is a grey Tervuren and she is SOOOOOOO pretty

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

I've been looking at the Belgian Shep as well...but there are no breeders in Canada (that I can find) so apparently they're a rare breed over here. :(

How would I find a breeder that breeds her GSDs from working lines? How would I find a responsible breeder in general?

I know a good breeder of Belgians shes the president of the Kelowna Kennel Club she could prolly find a breeder closer to you if your intrested

We lost our GSDxSibe to cancer (Lymphosarcoma) just before xmas

unfortunately it was inherited.

He was a week shy of his 5th birthday.

We would still recommend a non showing/sloping GSD as they do tend to have less problems.

Do you mean the ones that look like this with the weird looking hips?

german-shepherd.jpg

A metric shitload of GSD and crosses go through shelters every year (yep, I will always plug adoption over purchase!). In my personal experience, I have gotten 3 GSD crosses via rescue (one was from a private farm, not a facility) and have known at least 4 more, and they have all been wonderful dogs. The only one with health issues was also the only purebred - he had the worst hip dysplasia I've ever seen. His right hind actually crossed over the paw print of the left fore and vice versa! My old riding coach had a purebred with no health issues (to my knowledge, anyway).

But personally, I LOOOOVE GSDs! They've always been my favourite breed. Basically, if you want to go for guaranteed health and breed standards, I'd look for German lines, not North American ones - meaning, the parents are from Germany or have been breed standard tested in Germany. They would cost probably a lot more, but in order to be registered and given "permission" to breed each dog has to go through a series of rigorous tests in ability, temperament, health, etc. I would figure that would be the only way to guarantee true quality.

This page is a fascinating read, and it's clear that the person who wrote the article doesn't think much of North American breeding as a whole!

http://www.ottogsd.com/GermanvsAmericanlines.htm

Of course I'm still considering adoption, but I read that if poorly socialized they've been known to bite and be very aggressive (as they are bred to guard/herd.) Also, for an adoption, I wouldn't know their health background....which I think is important to know for a GSD.

However, when I do get a husky (or two!) they'll be adopted cause I know they don't have a lot of health issues with poor breeding and they're generally a healthy breed all-around.

If a mix does show up in the shelter, then I might adopt that instead of getting a puppy...but it would depend what he'd be mixed with.

I know a good breeder of Belgians shes the president of the Kelowna Kennel Club she could prolly find a breeder closer to you if your intrested

That'll be great - although I won't be getting another dog/ puppy anytime soon...I'm guessing its at least 10 years away cause I want to make sure I can support them financially and that they fit into my lifestyle. :)

Fully agree with the above that picture is what you want to avoid. I noticed on the breeders site it looks like a couple of their dogs slope so I'd be a little concerned about that; especially if it's a working dog.

Of course I'm still considering adoption, but I read that if poorly socialized they've been known to bite and be very aggressive (as they are bred to guard/herd.) Also, for an adoption, I wouldn't know their health background....which I think is important to know for a GSD.

It depends on the lack of socialization to be honest. With Diesel he's a GSDxHusky mix and after lots of digging into what little everyone know of him, he's been well socialized with other dogs but never saw a cat in his life and I now know he is NOT cat material O_o the biggest problem will be the little furries if the dog's drive is high and has never been taught the proper use of it. Diesel has now seen horses, goats, geese, and the llama (or alpaca I have trouble keeping it straight) that live down the street. He respected the horse(who wouldn't when it's towering over you), was confused by the llama thing, and wanted to chase the poor geese and goats.

I do agree with the health background though. I am just worried all the time as Diesel grows he will develop any number of health concerns particularly cancer or hip dyspepsia since he is mixed with both breeds prone to it. Most rescues are given up at a young age because like huskies gsds are notorious for being hyper and rowdy when not properly exercised or mentally stimulated. It's a WORKING breed you don't give them a job they will make one lol. So in the end depending about the age range you are looking at you'd probably be safe getting a rescue two years and younger as long as they don't come from an abusive home. This is just what I understand from my shelter when I was thinking about Diesel. I was initially biased because like you I didn't want to end up with a dog with severe behavioral issues. Apart from working my tail off to get him to respect and listen to me he really is a sweet lap dog; despite his 60lbs of body lol.

I'm by far no expert though this is just what I've come across while I was searching for a companion for Kiana. If it's going to be awhile do what I did join some forums of the breeds your interested in and compare notes with them and see which one would be most suitable for your tastes :) Couldn't hurt right?

Of course I'm still considering adoption, but I read that if poorly socialized they've been known to bite and be very aggressive (as they are bred to guard/herd.)

This is kind of a silly statement, to be honest - adoption centres do assessments on all dogs to find out what their temperaments are - they usually put them through pretty stringent tests. Every place I've been to will tell you straight up with a dog if it's suitable for a home with children, other dogs, other pets, etc. No adoption centre worth their salt would ever adopt a dog who is aggressive and would potentially bite someone - even food guarding is carefully worked with and monitored and if the dog can't overcome it, it's usually the long sleep for them.

Personally, I think people are at a greater risk of getting aggressive dogs as puppies than adults. With an adult you know what you have, issues or not. With a puppy, you're relying on the breeder's word that the parents have sound temperaments and proven backgrounds, and a lot of aggression issues come from nurture rather than nature - poor training, socialization, etc. I'm not suggesting that you would have an issue with a puppy at all, but if you're worried about a dog that might become aggressive and bite, it's extremely unfounded to expect that from a shelter dog.

Also, for an adoption, I wouldn't know their health background....which I think is important to know for a GSD.

However, when I do get a husky (or two!) they'll be adopted cause I know they don't have a lot of health issues with poor breeding and they're generally a healthy breed all-around.

If a mix does show up in the shelter, then I might adopt that instead of getting a puppy...but it would depend what he'd be mixed with.

Assuming you find a reputable breeder, this is indeed a benefit. Again though, every centre I've dealt with has been straightforward about any dog's health needs, and they all get a physical from a vet. That doesn't show genetic defects that have yet to arise, but depending on the age of the dog (adult vs. puppy) they may have already passed the age where the defect is likely to present. For example, my understanding is that genetic hip dysplasia is usually apparent by the age of 2. It can also be caused by obesity and rapid weight gain later in life in dogs who do not have hereditary defect.

Just presenting options though! I'm just one person, but I've never gotten an unhealthy or problematic dog from a shelter or as a rescue. All the nightmare defective GSDs I've heard of have all come from breeders. Also a heads up that if you do have your heart set on buying a purebred puppy, just research the ever-lovin' shit out of the breeders and their chosen bloodlines!

This is kind of a silly statement, to be honest - adoption centres do assessments on all dogs to find out what their temperaments are - they usually put them through pretty stringent tests. Every place I've been to will tell you straight up with a dog if it's suitable for a home with children, other dogs, other pets, etc. No adoption centre worth their salt would ever adopt a dog who is aggressive and would potentially bite someone - even food guarding is carefully worked with and monitored and if the dog can't overcome it, it's usually the long sleep for them.

Personally, I think people are at a greater risk of getting aggressive dogs as puppies than adults. With an adult you know what you have, issues or not. With a puppy, you're relying on the breeder's word that the parents have sound temperaments and proven backgrounds, and a lot of aggression issues come from nurture rather than nature - poor training, socialization, etc. I'm not suggesting that you would have an issue with a puppy at all, but if you're worried about a dog that might become aggressive and bite, it's extremely unfounded to expect that from a shelter dog.

Assuming you find a reputable breeder, this is indeed a benefit. Again though, every centre I've dealt with has been straightforward about any dog's health needs, and they all get a physical from a vet. That doesn't show genetic defects that have yet to arise, but depending on the age of the dog (adult vs. puppy) they may have already passed the age where the defect is likely to present. For example, my understanding is that genetic hip dysplasia is usually apparent by the age of 2. It can also be caused by obesity and rapid weight gain later in life in dogs who do not have hereditary defect.

Just presenting options though! I'm just one person, but I've never gotten an unhealthy or problematic dog from a shelter or as a rescue. All the nightmare defective GSDs I've heard of have all come from breeders. Also a heads up that if you do have your heart set on buying a purebred puppy, just research the ever-lovin' shit out of the breeders and their chosen bloodlines!

I should have known that already, but I guess I'm still a bit peeved that the shelter didn't tell us everything about Suka. Granted, he's a wonderful dog, but if they would have told us he had separation anxiety then stuff wouldn't have been ruined.

I guess I just want experience in raising a puppy, eventually! Not all of my dogs can be from rescues, I'd like at least 1 or 2 dogs that I raise myself. :)

Perhaps getting the husky as a puppy and the GSD as a rescue would be the better option...as Sibes don't usually have a lot of health problems like the GSD?

GSD's dont have a great deal of health problems....or not that i am aware of, my shepherd does not have serious probs really, she has an allergic reaction to something in the garden....that has not been diagnosed....and she has been tested for many things :( GSD'S do have a problem with hip dysplasia through bad breeding ..but a check on hip/score can dispel a lot of these fears...my previous GSD lived to 15 yrs .,...and even the vet commented on what great health she was in....the hips did go in the end but at the end it was normal practice...much to my sadness !! she was the best dog to date !!! the love of my life !! but aside from old age nothing was ever going to stop her ( sheba R.I.P ) i have never run into multiple probs with any of the shepherds i have owned and they area great breed to own or be owned......lol, any questions feel free to ask....love the breed :)

Do you mean the ones that look like this with the weird looking hips?

german-shepherd.jpg

That'll be great - although I won't be getting another dog/ puppy anytime soon...I'm guessing its at least 10 years away cause I want to make sure I can support them financially and that they fit into my lifestyle. :)

Hey its always great to plan ahead! and ye I those are the weird hips..I dont like show GSD they just have so many issues with their hips :/

I should have known that already, but I guess I'm still a bit peeved that the shelter didn't tell us everything about Suka. Granted, he's a wonderful dog, but if they would have told us he had separation anxiety then stuff wouldn't have been ruined.

I guess I just want experience in raising a puppy, eventually! Not all of my dogs can be from rescues, I'd like at least 1 or 2 dogs that I raise myself. :)

Perhaps getting the husky as a puppy and the GSD as a rescue would be the better option...as Sibes don't usually have a lot of health problems like the GSD?

Separation anxiety is a tough one. They rarely - if ever - get the opportunity to be truly alone at a shelter. Even in their own cage they are still in a room filled with other dogs, handlers are in and out all the time as well as the visiting public. Unless the previous owner who surrendered them clearly states they have separation anxiety, I think it's a pretty tough one for them to reliably diagnose.

And unfortunately, it's a problem that comes with the territory of dog ownership - with any breed - but seems to be significantly prevalent in huskies, especially ones with no other dog companions during the day...

the years of endless breeding with GSD'S has caused many of the hip displacement problems , but the GSD was designed to have a sloping back....back in the day they were shepherding dogs, the skeleton has changed with more recent breeding ...a google search will show the original slope of the breed, which is a huge difference to the standard we see now :( hip dysplasia is a massive problem with the GSD ...but again through bad breeeding.... has caused this)....my GSD'S have always been fantastic, well mannered dogs ( rescued or not ) but i do put a huge envisage on the owners...you need to be in control from day one.......hard and fast from day one, after they know the rules..is up to the owner to enforce them...after that you will have a totally loyal companion for life,much like a husky GSD'S need a dominant owner