German Sheps and health problems...

Elyse

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

German Shepherd Dogs are an amazing breed in which one day I hope to own again. That being said, I will only purchase an import puppy from working lines. Never a show dog, regardless of country origin. There are way too many health issues (and expensive ones at that) to deal with. I cannot stand the way they have been bred and the atrocity they have become. American show breeders should be ashamed of themselves. They are a beautiful powerful animal which should have been preserved, not made into what they are today.

The only advice I can give is to stay away from show breeders.

So...I've looked at all the breeders within a 20 hour drive from me. Most of them have GSDs that have hips so low half of their tail is on the ground (it's amazing how they could do anything!), some of them have litters 2-3 times a year, and others are just sketchy.

Could anyone help me out here?

My husband and I's first dog together was a GSD, a boy, he's pushing 14yrs now. He is the healthiest dog ever, we never had any issues what so ever except his giant ears got really dirty all the time and he would get irritation and sometimes an infection, but other than that, no major and barely minor issues. He has gone down hill pretty fast ever since we lost our Alice Husky 13months ago with hip, eyes, hearing, and other typical old age issues. He was not the type of GSD with the sloping hips, we got him from some old man in on the border of North and South Carolina with an ad in the penny-saver, His Mamma was white and is Daddy was light tan and black. You do have to be very dominant and train them firmly and early. My hubby has owned 4 GSD in his lifetime and took the reigns on the whole training. He is loyal, obedient, trustworthy and has a good since of good people and bad people.....and good and bad actions. If I pretend to "hit/punch" daddy or vice versa, he will go after the arm that is doing the hitting!....he is gentle and not rough about it, but if it was a stranger I am sure that he would rip the guys are off! Damn good protector in my opinion. We learned this via a punch buggy game once in the car...lol. He is also a loving and often kinda wimpy at home, but does his duty of protection when called upon. He trained our first husky very well, he knows when to be gentle and when to be firm as needed with puppies, and is tolerant of a lot of things and makes it very evident when he is not happy. GSD and Huskies get along well and play great together, it's a good combo, and that is all that our household will ever own is GSD and Huskies....it's just our thing! German Sheps ROCK!

if u dont like the hips on a gsd get a king shepherd they have malamute present in the bloodline makes there back ends square ..

mine is a mal x timber/gsd and he has not heath problems and a nice flush back end..........so a gsd cross is always an option if it fits your taste[ATTACH=full]37053[/ATTACH]

Thanks! I've looked at the King Shepherd, and it is similar to the GSD, but they can be quite huge (I read the males can reach around 120 pounds!) and, because they're so big, their average lifespan is really only 9-10 years.

more like 10-15 pending what kinda curves life tosses your dogs way ........and that alone wont decide your dogs quality of life ...........dont get me wrong im a fan of pure bred huskys malamutes gsd and all spitz type genetics .............but in my short life time i have seen with my own eyes that most mix breed dogs tend to live longer and have more resistance to ailments ..

i can walk 2 doors down and meet a pure husky with hip dysplaisa ....blind has seizures and is only 1.8y old

post-2303-0-33788500-1380714998_thumb.pn

malamutex wolf and belgin shepherd x wolf = my hatchi

i got to supervise the breeding of my pup and to be honest there wolf hybred on both side .......but my best advice to you is just find a breeder you can visit through all stages leading up to the day u take your pup home .....

in this case it was done selectively by friends who know what there doing ..........so i knew what i was getting all along

post-2926-13586017479026_thumb.jpg

post-2926-13586017479482_thumb.jpg

more like 10-15 pending what kinda curves life tosses your dogs way ........and that alone wont decide your dogs quality of life ...........dont get me wrong im a fan of pure bred huskys malamutes gsd and all spitz type genetics .............but in my short life time i have seen with my own eyes that most mix breed dogs tend to live longer and have more resistance to ailments ..

i can walk 2 doors down and meet a pure husky with hip dysplaisa ....blind has seizures and is only 1.8y old

Yeah...that is true. Generally mixes are healthier than pure-breds...

Hey - I just noticed your from London, Ontario! That's pretty cool - that's a shortish drive from me! :)

ill be honest if there is one thing about the shepherd im thankfull for and thats the protection factor .........face it most of are huskys wont protect the house there to happy to see people and want to make friends with everyone ..

hatch has got kiba to howl like a wolf if some one comes in the area of the house he still just as happy to see who ever come its just now hes like a door bell face it a wolf howl and a deep shepherd bark will keep anyone out ......lol

St. Catharines, is a stone throw away ................my dogs are used to long drives since the go every were with me and i drive 600km a week so possible to meet up at some time for a play date

ill be honest if there is one thing about the shepherd im thankfull for and thats the protection factor .........face it most of are huskys wont protect the house there to happy to see people and want to make friends with everyone ..

hatch has got kiba to howl like a wolf if some one comes in the area of the house he still just as happy to see who ever come its just now hes like a door bell face it a wolf howl and a deep shepherd bark will keep anyone out ......lol

St. Catharines, is a stone throw away ................my dogs are used to long drives since the go every were with me and i drive 600km a week so possible to meet up at some time for a play date

Yeah, I'm thinking of organizing a husky meet sometime in the spring or summer for people in our area but I'm stuck for a place to go meet. Preferably a fenced in (and secure) dog park that isn't 'sketchy'.

Do you know of any good places? I was thinking of the Burgoyne Woods dog park in St. Catharines, but a member on here has had a very bad experience with broken bottles so I'm a bit reluctant. It's a good quality park, though, and if I can't find anywhere else then it'll be there.

More talk about the meet is in this thread, feel free to post any ideas there:

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/niagara-and-the-gta-date-and-info.21794/page-2

also hatchi was 1of2 that looked like a shepherd the other 7 were all white wolf looking maybe u could say white shepherd looking but hard to say that when they all have timberwolf markings ........i took hatchi cuz i couldent get in trouble for harboring wolfs .......good thing to cuz a nosey ass called the pound saying i had wolfs they came here talked to me and said i hate ppl who call if bullshit thats just a shepherd and a husky and by the sounds of things you know what your doing ......

to me hes just a shepherd with a malamute coat ............he is an awsome sled dog tho so much power and drive and no quit kiba is faster and is in lead so he pushes hatch faster and wouldent think they make a good team but they do

from behind on sled or bike he looks like a malamute the tail curls up and he has a snow butt like kiba and his under coat is gray just his guard hairs that are black and brown

in a early post u asked about belgian shepherds the options there are

Groenendael the sheepdog

Tervuren also sheep dog

Malinois is the cop dog in europe

they all have a box shape your looking for with a perfect stance ..........all 3 are the same dog in structure just have difrent coat and bred in diff areas .............hatchi dad is part groenendael wich is were his shepherd blood comes from its ony 1/4 but it shows

i dont care what anyone likes to think gsd are way ezy to train dont think i ever met a single one who had a bad temper dont get me wrong there brave but only if u teach them to be if u know u can raise a dog proper then there is no ezer dog to live with then a gsd there loving caring alert its a mans best friend huskys are more like every ones best friend