Laptops

naomiJayne

Because I am completely stupid when it comes to things like this...Anyway I'm looking to buy a laptop but I want a good one that I can play games on and use for general stuff like browsing/skype etc.

Is this any good?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5086744/c_1/1|category_root|Office, PCs and phones|14418968/c_2/2|14418968|Laptops and netbooks|14419039/Trail/searchtext>LAPTOP.htm

Or am I better off at looking at something like this?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5072277/c_1/1|category_root|Office%2C+PCs+and+phones|14418968/Trail/searchtext%3EPINK+LAPTOP.htm

Or does anyone have any recommendations?

(I'm looking at argos becuase I have a £40 voucher for there but it doesn't have to be from thee)

Hope someone doesn't mind helping me

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will have a look. Dont go for a vaio, you can get better for the money you will pay for the name

In fact ... gimme a price to the nearest £50 and I will let you know what to get.

All I can say is be wary of Toshiba and Acer - have had bad experiences with both. My parents also have a Lenovo and it looks incredibly flimsy although it was not cheap at all. So these brands I would not recommend, not if you want something durable.

I have had good experiences with HP, in fact my father's HP laptop seems very durable. I also like Dell products and have been impressed with their customer service. I don't know if it's that good over there as well though.

The Vaio looks good to me, I agree it's a tad overpriced, but I think overall it is a good choice. However, if you want to play games you'd be better off looking at laptops that don't have an integrated graphics card.

All I can say is be wary of Toshiba and Acer - have had bad experiences with both. My parents also have a Lenovo and it looks incredibly flimsy although it was not cheap at all. So these brands I would not recommend, not if you want something durable.

I have had good experiences with HP, in fact my father's HP laptop seems very durable. I also like Dell products and have been impressed with their customer service. I don't know if it's that good over there as well though.

The Vaio looks good to me, I agree it's a tad overpriced, but I think overall it is a good choice. However, if you want to play games you'd be better off looking at laptops that don't have an integrated graphics card.

To be honest it makes no difference which laptop makers you go for nowadays. Unless your getting a vaio or something like that they are all made from cheap parts these days. However buying a vaio very rarely warrants the increased price. A £600 vaio would usually have a similar spec to a £400 anything else, meaning if you spend the £600 on an HP/lenovo/etc you tend to get very powerfull laptops in comparison. Personally have always gone for dells, however have seen these fall to bits on other people at work. In the same respect sarahs last laptop was a toshiba that was terrible, however one of the ones we have just bought at work is excellent.

I do not want a netbook.

and I play games like sims/world of warcraft etc

It needs to have lots of memory and a webcam would be a plus :)

Was asking as you seem to be looking at 15.6 screens rather than 17. I know you wont want a netbook as they are all atom processors generally and not good for the purpose you want to use them for. If Im honest if your saying you use wow a lot personally I wouldnt be buying a laptop at all and going for a desktop PC, but its not always a viable alternative for some due to space etc.

The novatech one actually looks ok. The currys actually has a better spec overall but will not run the kinds of things you run due to the graphics capability. You would be much better off with the one from novatech in your case.

The novatech one actually looks ok. The currys actually has a better spec overall but will not run the kinds of things you run due to the graphics capability. You would be much better off with the one from novatech in your case.

I have a desktop pc atm but I'm finding a laptop would be useful to have and I figure if i'm going to spend the money I should spend it well. Thank-you for your input :)

The problem with a laptop is though...is that usually you can't upgrade the major components. Usually you can only upgrade the RAM, the harddrive, and the CD/DVD drive.

I have a Macbook that I bought almost 6 years ago, and I just bought more RAM and a bigger/faster harddrive. But Macs are out of your price range, so...nevermind that.

The problem with a laptop is though...is that usually you can't upgrade the major components. Usually you can only upgrade the RAM, the harddrive, and the CD/DVD drive.

I have a Macbook that I bought almost 6 years ago, and I just bought more RAM and a bigger/faster harddrive. But Macs are out of your price range, so...nevermind that.

Plus there macs :P .... Sorry, Im the PC guy on that video LMAO

Yeah I agree, thats why I dont generally like laptops to be honest. They do have their advantages however when used for work etc and I do use one for that purpose.

Because I am completely stupid when it comes to things like this...Anyway I'm looking to buy a laptop but I want a good one that I can play games on and use for general stuff like browsing/skype etc.

Is this any good?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5086744/c_1/1|category_root|Office, PCs and phones|14418968/c_2/2|14418968|Laptops and netbooks|14419039/Trail/searchtext>LAPTOP.htm

Or am I better off at looking at something like this?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5072277/c_1/1|category_root|Office, PCs and phones|14418968/Trail/searchtext>PINK LAPTOP.htm

Or does anyone have any recommendations?

(I'm looking at argos becuase I have a £40 voucher for there but it doesn't have to be from thee)

Hope someone doesn't mind helping me

I have that pink vaio, and its my second pink vaio, my first one was the first one that came out and i had for 4 years and then it died.

I love my vaio and yes you are paying for the style and design but alot of my friends who have bought cheaper Acers and Toshibas have had terrible experiences

Plus there macs :P .... Sorry, Im the PC guy on that video LMAO

Yeah I agree, thats why I dont generally like laptops to be honest. They do have their advantages however when used for work etc and I do use one for that purpose.

lol - not gonna get into that war with you. Because Macs are obviously superior (except for gaming, of course, which is why I have a Windows XP partition on here too...). Really, though, both Mac and Windows have their pros and cons....so I think it just depends if you plan on using your computer for video/art related/work/music stuff (Mac) or games/Work (Windows)

Yeah, Laptops do have their advantages...but desktop PCs are definitely better for gaming.

I think that with laptops as well, when you buy a cheap product, you get what you pay for. I am not necessarily saying that one should buy overpriced products (like I think all Macs are), but if you go for the cheapie stuff, like Acer or some Toshiba's out there, you are definitely going to be disappointed. I won't get into many details, but suffices to say that my friend's Toshiba didn't even last 2 years and it wasn't a low end model! I can say the same about some friends that had Acers.

Of course, if you plan to change your laptop every 2 years, then going for a cheap one is perfectly fine, but if you plan to keep that laptop for more than that, invest in quality.

As for the Macs, sure, they are good, but you are paying more for the brand rather than for the product itself. For half the price of a Mac you could get another computer that has much better specs and the same build quality. (also the fact that they are brainwashing half the planet into obsessing about their products doesn't help either)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a little late on this thread. But, right now, i run an Asus G73 laptop. it's VERY powerful. and wonderful for gaming or photoshop or whatever you need it for. I'm also a fan of Alienware, even "if" they are Dell. But, Asus makes the best mother boards, and the best laptops. Just my opinion

IMO, I think Apple makes the highest quality laptops. All operating system differences aside, cause I run XP on it also.

I've had mine since 2006 and its still running strong. Have never had a hard-drive failure, unlike my last laptop (HP) that died after 3 years (motherboard failure), and I've NEVER had any problem with my Macbook Pro.

It takes damage surprisingly well. Granted, I don't hurl it at walls, but I did drop it a few times while it was on and running. The motion sensor picked up the sudden dropping motion/movement and it went into a 'safe sleep' mode. All my data was protected and I could go back to work as soon as I picked it up.

The battery life is also something to enjoy. On my previous laptop, and on one of my friends' laptop, the battery couldn't even last an hour EVEN when the batteries were brand new and they were taken care of properly.

I still have the original battery from 2006, although I bought another one in case I can't get to the charger in time, and its battery life is still 80% at around 500+ cycles.

I upgraded it this summer (gave it a bigger harddrive, upgraded to Snow Leopard from Tiger, and doubled its RAM) so I think I'll still be using it for at least another 5 years.

Although, it IS old and can't do much gaming...but that's why I have a separate gaming computer (for SKYRIM!).

It's just starting to show its age - the screen backlight is getting dark in places and its making a buzzing noise. I'll have to replace the inverter (if that's the problem) this summer before it blacks out on me.

That all being said, though...you pay out the butt. I think I paid around 3 grand for mine (before taxes and all that), but the quality I got and the amount of use its seen has been well worth it.

Unless Apple goes bankrupt, I'll never buy another laptop from another company. I'm sold.

I'm a little late on this thread. But, right now, i run an Asus G73 laptop. it's VERY powerful. and wonderful for gaming or photoshop or whatever you need it for. I'm also a fan of Alienware, even "if" they are Dell. But, Asus makes the best mother boards, and the best laptops. Just my opinion

Hey put it there pal, I've got the Asus G74SX and it's great, just upgraded from the Asus N53S series (this was a very good laptop). I upgrade every 6-12 months because my older bro works in IT and I get 70% back during tax time. Asus laptops are top notch, but I also agree that Macbook pro are great too (but I kind of see them for older people)