Therapy Dogs

I've noticed a few people mention about training their sibe to be a therapy dog. Does anyone have any experience as to what this would entail, apart from a VAST amount of training that would be needed lol.

Do they have to complete a course - i'm presuming they would have to be approved by some sort of body before they would be able to "work"

What kind of "jobs" would they be expected to do as a therapy dog?

I've noticed a few people mention about training their sibe to be a therapy dog. Does anyone have any experience as to what this would entail, apart from a VAST amount of training that would be needed lol.

Do they have to complete a course - i'm presuming they would have to be approved by some sort of body before they would be able to "work"

Depends what you mean by therapy dog - do you just mean a dog that is trained to visit hospitals, nursing homes etc to provide comfort and affection to people?

The prime role of a therapy dog is to allow unfamiliar people to make physical contact with it and enjoy that physical contact. Whilst training is vital it is also largely about the dog's temperament - a dog who is a bit hyperactive and doesn't really enjoy sitting still and being calm won't be an ideal candidate for therapy dog work nor will a dog who is aloof, doesn't really enjoy having lots of attention/affection or is wary or fearful of strangers.

Therapy dogs will visit various places like hospitals, nursing homes, schools, etc to 'cheer up' and meet and greet the people there. They have to be able to be used to crowds, loud noises and people or children who may make erratic movement or inadvertently hurt the dog.

Training for therapy dogs, at least therapy dogs in Australia, is pretty basic. The key is that the dogs temperament matches the role and that it has good doggy manners. I actually looked into doing therapy work with Micha a while ago - I was going to get him accredited through DELTA, who is one of the bodies who recruit and accredit volunteers who want to use their dogs as therapy dogs. To become accredited you have to pass an assessment where you must demonstrate that your dog can:

- Walk nicely on the leash without training aids (must be on a flat collar and standard leash)

- Come when called if he's off leash

- Sit and lie down on command

- Sit politely and accept petting by a stranger

- Walk through a crowd with minimal reaction to the distractions around him

- Show little reaction to clumsy and heavy petting

- Sit and stay in the down or sit position and remain that way when you walk approx five meters away

- Walk past another dog without showing anymore than a passing interest

- Be held by a stranger and come when called when it is released

- Work well with you as a team

They must also be 12 months old and desexed. Obviously the criteria involved in becoming accredited will differ from organisation to organisation. I would assume that you would also need to have a police check and carry a blue card if you are going to be visiting schools (what we must have here before we can work with children).

I think that's about it? Feel free to ask me any questions though and I can try and answer them for you :)

OMG there is defo no chance of Grey being a therapy dog then ROFLMAO :P I think its great for Dogs to be trained to do this and I think its really good to hear Sibes are being trained.

Its so fab the amount of love, joy & comfort a Dog can bring to those in in need of it :D

Well on those that take the therapy path!! :151: you have my vote

- Walk nicely on the leash without training aids (must be on a flat collar and standard leash)

- Sit and stay in the down or sit position and remain that way when you walk approx five meters away

PFFTT !!!!!

That's my two out of the running then :rofl: having said that they are 100% great with being patted heavily by adults and children, from day 1 when i brought them home, they got their ears and tails tugged (not hard can I just say before someone reports me lol) to get them used to the types of contact they would possibly have when older (not that my kids would ever do that but you never know what someone's going to do to them when they pet them)

work well as a team - yep thumbs up on that one, when we train they are fantastic together, both boys stick to each other like glue when running and their focus really surprises me.

Fantastic reply Bec, added to rep.

I'd love to be able to do this with my boys as they are soooooooooooo submissive, but my GOD are they stubborn!!!!

To become accredited you have to pass an assessment where you must demonstrate that your dog can:

QUOTE]

I suppose that is achievable for dogs, but would the "rules" have to be bent regarding huskies? Myshka would do amd does all the above except use a flat collar as she's used to the harness now and hates collars & is never let off leash (although if in a confined room, this is different, I suppose).

Just a thought! :)

This is a good question for PhilW. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Lucas just passed his test.....

i work in a nursing home we have 2 dogs that visit the old people one is a Lab the other is a husky the old people love em they just come in and go round letting the oldies stroke em, most of the oldies keep treats in their room for the dogs. i take Odin in some times as they have watched him grow up, he's unreal with me he's a pain in the ass but as soon as i take him in it's as if he knows and he's so sweet he just puts his head on their knee lol no jumping no pulling they love him.

As soon as we get out the door thats he he takes me for a walk he's trained me well lol

I suppose that is achievable for dogs, but would the "rules" have to be bent regarding huskies? Myshka would do amd does all the above except use a flat collar as she's used to the harness now and hates collars & is never let off leash (although if in a confined room, this is different, I suppose).

Just a thought! :)

That was just for the organisation that accredits most dogs here in Australia, it could very well differ from group to group, although I imagine that all of them expect you to have a reasonable amount of control over your dog.

If there were extenuating circumstances where the dog could not physically wear a collar, I'm sure it would be ok to wear a harness, as long as it still walked nicely next to you.

Whilst Sibes are stubborn dogs there is no reason why they can't be taught to do any of the above, we do have a few Siberians here who are accredited therapy dogs.

When you think about it, the only thing you will really need to teach your dog is to have focus in distracting situations, to sit, lie down and stay, recall, and to walk nicely on the leash. Any dog of any breed or cross is capable of doing those things :D

Like I said the main thing is that your dog has the temperament for the work, skittish or fearful dogs, dogs who aren't that into strangers, dogs who don't care much for a pat won't enjoy therapy work and that's the sort of thing you can't train (to a point).

ETA: I think in regards to the come when called, its different to actually having the dog be trustworthy off leash all the time, and I imagine it would be more similar to the recall exercise they get you to do in obedience. I think what they want to know by those exercises is if you dropped the leash or a patient did, that the dog wouldn't run off and that it did know the recall command.

Princess is a therapy dog and I do believe that she loves the attention. She has so many friends at the Assisted Living Facility. Some were scared of her at first, thinking that she was a wolf dog. Had to explain that away. She is still a Husky, so I watch her.

The first thing that was recommended to me was to get the Canine Good Citizen Award which covers the basics. Shows that you have control over the dog. I am a member of http://therapydogs.com/ . We had to have there supervised visits and of course have to be fully vetted and disease free.

It is fun. We are also working on becoming a READing Paws dog and have some training to do for that. Kids read to the dog!!!

The first thing that was recommended to me was to get the Caine Good Citizen Award which covers the basics. ...

In case anybody is interested, here is what that involves:

http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/training_testing.cfm

They are testing in my local area at the end of the month, and Dakota and I are practicing to give it a go. I think he has a pretty good shot (if he's in the mood for listening to me come test day). :P

Princess did well on most of the tset. The stay and come were the biggest problem. She had to stay and then come on command. Well, I would get 6 ft away and she was like you are not leaving me. So we took a break and was gonna try one last time. So I took her for a walk and wore her out a little. She stayed alright. I had to beg her to come. We idi pass though. Was worth it!!

Been doing the visits for about a year. Its all volunteer work and there are several other groups to join. Check them out. Even if you do not do therapy work, the Canine Good Citizen award show that you have control over the dog and makes you look good too!! So you should think about that anyway!!!

Thanks badge822 for the link!!!

Im finding this thread very interesting :) added to reps :)

I thinks its truely amazing to see any dog doing their part for society and extra special having a sibe as a therapy dog :) It just proves to everyone who says all these bad point about sibes, that you can have a sibe working for the good of those in need!

Dogs actually lower your blood pressure. Think that is opposite with mine.....but the residents actually look forward to her visits and seem upset if they miss her or I do not make a visit. Sometimes real life gets in the way. Do the best that I can.

Sarah / All,

Very interesting thread,thank you all :)

Just before getting Sky last Xmas I read up on PATS ( Pets As Therapy - www.petsastherapy.org) and I have an application form at home.

Peiper is great with humans of all shapes and sizes,but once she has completed her fuss prefers to curl up somewhere thse days !

Sky on the other hand is very attention/fuss focussed,and will sit there all day waiting for you to carry on stroking her.

I'm thinking that once she is 3 ( in October) she will have settled down enough to be considered as a PATS dog.

I'm sure the info is on the website,but there are things like the "dropped walking stick" test where one is dropped on a hard floor out of line of sight of the dog to ensure they are n't jumpy/easiy scared,they have to have 1st class grooming & clean teeth etc.

It all looks like hard work but I'm sure as Linda says it must be very rewarding to do :)

Best Always,

Kevin & the Girls :bullseye:

Thats where you have to know your dog. Just like people, everyone is different. Dogs are the same way, but you will never know if you do not try!!! They have their limits. Some can do it longer than others. Training also helps. Your dog might surprise you!! Princess did.

for the UK

Q. What does the assessment involve?

A. The person carrying out the assessment will check that your dog is sociable and friendly without being over-boisterous. Your dog should be calm and gentle when being groomed or stroked, without mouthing you or the grooming equipment. The examiner will also want to see how your dog reacts to a sudden noise – such as a walking stick falling to the floor. It is normal for a dog to back away, but is he confident enough to approach again readily if asked to do so?

the dog may also be assesed by your vet.

info from http://www.petsastherapy.org/

i will have to see how saskia is with sudden noises, apart from that she should pass.

she loves attention, and people love to stroke her.

she will not bite at all, wont even mouth.

i know how much i enjoy my huskies, and if i can make someone elses day by letting them make a fuss over saskia, i think that is a very worth while thing to do.

I, too, think this is a really interesting thread .... you take for granted when you've got a dog the luxury of stroking & petting it whenever you want, but forget there are people who may be in care homes, etc that cannot have dogs or maybe had in the past & miss the experience, or just enjoy the relaxed feeling you get from it, thumbs up to all that do this or are going to try for it, you are amazing people.