New System Suggestions

Marc

Hi Guys,

Seen as there are a few techs on here nowadays I thought I would post up what I am thinking of buying and seeing what suggestions for changes people have:

New Gear

AMD FX8150 (32nm - 16mb cache - 3.6 x 8 cores)

Asus M5A99X EVO AMD 990X (Holds 32gb max DDR3)

Corsair Vengeance Blue (DDR3 1866, 9-10-9-27 timings) 2 x 4gb sticks (to start with)

Asus Silent Square EVO Cooling Fan/Heatsink

Would go with some stuff I already have

2 x 80gb sata drives set up on Raid 0 (Striped) for my OS

Other drives x Far to much LOL

M-Audio Delta Audiophile soundcard

ATI Radeon HD 4600 (Which I will probably also update at some point)

The only change I'd suggest ( other than that you ship it to me! ) is to up the RAM. Depending on the O/S 4 gig might be borderline especially with any kind of heavy antivirus.

If you and the board can handle it I'd do 8GB.

I do like your choice of hardware!

Win 7 on my system eats up the 4 GB I have .....

Thats why I said 2 x ;) lol Cant be havin all that power with only 4gb now can I? :P

Gonna get 2x4gb sticks to begin with then get another 2 at a later date givin me 16gb in total

So shoot me, I can't read!! :) You can still send it my way if it's too much for you to handle!!

I agree. If you can't handle the speed of the system, send it over to me and I'll...ahem....fix it for you. 'Fix' meaning keeping it and sending you back a P1. ROFL

Also thinking of upgrading in the early new year.

Intel Core i7 2600K

Corsair H60 Water Cooler

Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P

16.0GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (4x 4GB)

2 x

2TB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s

22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA

2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB

Creative X-FI Xtreme Audio 7.1 PCI-E

700w power supply

Should come in around £1200

What do you fink ??

Think it will handle my Photoshoppy and After Effects fun ??

Intel Core i7 2600K

Corsair H60 Water Cooler

Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P

2 x

2TB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s

22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA

700w power supply

What do you fink ??

just about.... :lolman:

Intel Core i7 2600K

Corsair H60 Water Cooler

Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P - 102.58

2 x

2TB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s

22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA

700w power supply

What do you fink ??

I'll go for it :)

Processor - i7 is an excellent brand, however at the moment the price difference between AMD and Intel is just mental. Would get an AMD. Look at it this way you will pay £245 for your 32nm chip with 8mb cache and 4 cores each at a clock speed of 3.4. Im gonna buy a 32nm chip with 16mb cache and 8 cores each at a clock speed of 3.6 and pay £48 less than you. HOWEVER it depends on your use. If your using it for single things at a time then the intel chip will perform better than the AMD, they always do. However with 8 cores versus 4 if your multiprocessing simply the math says the AMD will piss all over it.

HardDrives - Dont get 2 x 2gb if you want max performance. Get something like 2 x 250gb and 1 x 1.5gb . Raid the 2 x 250s on raid 0 which is striped. Basically you read and write to and from both at the same time giving you twice the performance than from a single drive. From personal experience I can tell you this makes an absolutly HUGE difference to performance

Sound Card - I produce music, dont touch the creative cards they are crap. Buy an MAudio card. The 2496 Audiophile I have is a fairly good card, although will cost you about £65-70 depending on where you buy it.

Power Supply - Your system is gonna use about 650 before any fans, powered USBs etc. Would probably go for an 800w rather than a 700

I'll go for it :)

Processor - i7 is an excellent brand, however at the moment the price difference between AMD and Intel is just mental. Would get an AMD. Look at it this way you will pay £245 for your 32nm chip with 8mb cache and 4 cores each at a clock speed of 3.4. Im gonna buy a 32nm chip with 16mb cache and 8 cores each at a clock speed of 3.6 and pay £48 less than you. HOWEVER it depends on your use. If your using it for single things at a time then the intel chip will perform better than the AMD, they always do. However with 8 cores versus 4 if your multiprocessing simply the math says the AMD will piss all over it.

HardDrives - Dont get 2 x 2gb if you want max performance. Get something like 2 x 250gb and 1 x 1.5gb . Raid the 2 x 250s on raid 0 which is striped. Basically you read and write to and from both at the same time giving you twice the performance than from a single drive. From personal experience I can tell you this makes an absolutly HUGE difference to performance

Sound Card - I produce music, dont touch the creative cards they are crap. Buy an MAudio card. The 2496 Audiophile I have is a fairly good card, although will cost you about £65-70 depending on where you buy it.

Power Supply - Your system is gonna use about 650 before any fans, powered USBs etc. Would probably go for an 800w rather than a 700

Thanx for the info will mull it over. :up:

Another thing to bare in mind as well is future profing. The Intel chip and the AMD will perform extremely similar and you will not notice the difference much at the moment. However apps are being built more and more with multithreading technology and if your likely to be on Windows 8 from a few week after its out like you probably will, this is when you will see the AMD shoot past the Intel chip.

PS: Bare in mind also I still cant make my mind up on the chip Im getting, Im just lookin at what I've seen on researching so far since Friday night. The other suggestions are very very valid though