Marley and Bandit running and play fighting

Ok from the start - for the past few days Ive been finding it VERY hard to relax and constantly needing to move :mad: and its really bugging me now, so hoping that it may help I decided to take the boys for a long run instead of a walk today hoping that that may tire me out enough to be able to realx!

Ran for about 3 miles with Gizmo this morning and all went well, couldn't have asked Gizmo to be any better :) - I think he is nearly ready to start working in the harness!

Went out this evening and ran Marley and Bandit together, luckily I was not pulled over this time lol, for about 3 miles again. I started to run and off they go and Marley must have found running too exciting and decided to start play fighting with Bandit! I stopped and calmed them down and then started again and so they started play fighting again. I had to keep doing this several times before they finally started to focus on running not play fighting! When Im running them on my own, without any scooters/bikes/rig etc, I dont have a problem but my main concern is when I do start to run them in the harness and they decide to play fight :confused: I am kinda hoping that when they do go into the harness and Gizmo is infront that they wont start play fighting as Gizmo wont stop so they will have to keep running, but what if they do I'm also thinking.

Anyone got any tips they could share to try and get marley and bandit focusing on running not play fighting straight away not after stopping on several occasions.

i think once you have Gizmo up there are your Lead dog, they will follow him (wont have much choice really lol) Is Gizmo higher up in the pack than them?

All you can do do keep egging them on, do you use commands such as ON BY or LEAVE or something similar?

im hoping they will follow Gizmo lol otherwise Im going to be having a few falls lol :confused:

Marley is pack leader overall but Gizmo does seem to be more in charge when we go outside, if you get me - its like they swap when they go inside and when they go outside lol

I have been using ON BY to them all the time (LEAVE is their command when we do a bit of food refusal) when we are on walks and I want the to keep going

Hmmm, I did this with Balto and Alaska, put them in their harnesses and we went gor a run (on foot), they were good BUT Alaska started biting Balto to be infront and Balto will get really excited and start playing with Alaska and not looking where he was going. >>>> As i wasn't really taking it that seriously and wasn't really training them i was like; "FINE we'll walk"!!

Litter-mates, they will always bicker and play, im affraid i dont have any helpful advise, all i can say is be firm with them and make it clear whilst in harness its NOT play time >>>my word is "lets go" Alaska will be diligent after this and Balto.....well Balto is Balto;)

Marley is pack leader overall but Gizmo does seem to be more in charge when we go outside, if you get me - its like they swap when they go inside and when they go outside

i dont meen to jump in and try and correct or run your pack. but their is no inside or outside for them.. if Marley is pack leader overall. then he is incharge of you to.. there is no human or dog to them. a pack is a pack.. and you should be in charge.. but for your question i have only ran with one dog for a long time. i have still yet to run two together. My'a is two young and small to even buy a harness for just yet. she is still learning the obediance part of it all.

Marcos - I have two sibes, bro and sis called Alaska (girl) and Balto (boy). I am the pack leader of them both!! And so is the rest of the family, however when you have more than 1 dog they have their posistions also, so Alaska is the boss of the two, so it goes:

Me and my Family

Alaska

Balto

Both dogs know we are the alpha and they listen however if Balto goes near Alaska's food or toys she will growl, she will enter doors 1st (out of the two of them) and she appears to win tug-of-war and playfights. I somtimes slip up and say she is the pack leader but what me, Amy and anyone else means is: "This dog is the boss - below our status - out of the dogs , but they know their place aswell:)

i dont meen to jump in and try and correct or run your pack. but their is no inside or outside for them.. if Marley is pack leader overall. then he is incharge of you to.. there is no human or dog to them. a pack is a pack.. and you should be in charge..

sorry think I should have explained this a bit more. The whole pack I am leader, then Jamie, then edwina and then comes marley, gizmo and bandit and Paul is Owned good and proper!!!!

When I said Marley was in charge overall I meant out of him gizmo and bandit not the whole pack

Ok sorry to intrude.

Dont be sorry and you didn't intrude;) Its good you brought it up just encase >>> So many people say "yeah he is pretty much the boss but he loves it that way" or "he's not domminating me ... hes hugging me!" ....... lol im sure it goes on. I strongly believe the way to being a successful dog onwer is to be a successful pack leader:cool:

sorry think I should have explained this a bit more. The whole pack I am leader, then Jamie, then edwina and then comes marley, gizmo and bandit and Paul is Owned good and proper!!!!

When I said Marley was in charge overall I meant out of him gizmo and bandit not the whole pack

Excellent .... So that would make you Jamies Alpha then? lol

Ok sorry to intrude.

It's o :D I now what you were saying thats whay thought it was best just to exaplin it a bit more :) we always appreciate everyones opinions, its what keeps the subjects interesting :D Dont hesitate to say anything, as the saying goes "Those that don't ask/say, don't get" it's the same with forums if you dont say anything, how are people meant to know how you feel or what you mean :)

Dont be sorry and you didn't intrude;) Its good you brought it up just encase >>> So many people say "yeah he is pretty much the boss but he loves it that way" or "he's not domminating me ... hes hugging me!" ....... lol im sure it goes on. I strongly believe the way to being a successful dog onwer is to be a successful pack leader:cool:

very well said Tanika, added to rep. Many peopls get too involved with human emotions and don't realise that just because a dog becomes a "member of the family" doesn't mean they are going to act human, they are dogs and so behave like dogs!

Excellent .... So that would make you Jamies Alpha then? lol

Oh yes Im boss! Unless we are at work and dogs aint around in which case Jamie and Paul is boss but at home answer to me, hense why Paul is at the bottom of the pack! You watch him and the dogs and you can tell right away who's owned and who's in charge!

• 2 weeks later...

micha runs excelently on the bike, and has mastered a few commands.

saskia is hopeless at the moment, she needs work before she can run with micha.

the problem we have is saskia tries to get in front, and micha doesnt like this and will nip at her as she tries to get in front or next to micha.

we just had a dominance fight, and i think micha realied she is no longer top dog.

it would be so much better with micha in front, because saskia has an awfull lot of pulling power, and micha is very intelligent.

well will just have to train up saskia, and see how she does as lead dog