The_Future_State_of_Welfare_

Dunc

I don't really watch tv but I'm ill with flu at the moment so took an hour to watch it. I agree, something does need to be done and I really think that it would be really good to get the infomation out there for people. I always thought that if you can't find work you should be looking or doing community work, education or bettering yourself to get yourself into a situation to find a job. At the moment I'm taking my degree so I can work. I am living off a debt I'll be paying back once I start working. More people need to understand that they are not owed anything and they should be working for their lifestyle and not living off the taxs payers money. It really does make you wonder how they got in that situation...

+1 for sharing it was certainly an interesting watch.

Thanks for posting this Dunc viewed it last night and it made me angry on a number of points. Firstly, I don't want to see soup kitchens in the UK but things need to change as this country simply cannot afford the sums being spent on effectively a 'nanny state' that is free to all within the EU. When you see a family that got EU membership through Spain getting a multi million pound property in Islington, London it's madness. The income would need to be £33,000 a year just to be able to pay the rent and council tax on this property not considering utilities and food etc. John Humphrys pointed out that they would eventually be productive to the UK economy, but the word is eventually. Yes there are a lot of manual workers working in London, and they commute in. Whose to say that they won't decide to upsticks and move to another country. Also the Polish unemployed workers explaining how limited the benefit system in Poland is. I've heard, but not sure on the point, that they can also claim child benefit for children living in Poland.

What also made me angry was the man who said that what was the point of going out to work for a few pounds more when he could be at home with his children and he had made that lifestyle choice. His children go to school during the day so they are not there anyways. Also this is an insult to all those hard working parents who do not get to see their children because they are at work, many of whom are working long hard hours. Why is he allowed to claim benefits when he or his wife, or both, are clearly capable of working. They would still be getting benefits just of a different form but it wouldn't be costing the tax payer as much.

I found that John Humphrys is usually much more hard hitting if you listen to him on BBC Radio 4 in the morning and I found that he was quite tame. The official in Islington got let off lightly for example.

Wonder if he will do a programme on the National Health Service?

Sorry Dunc I was one of the 16, but being SA I don't feel it is my place to say anything. What I will say though is that the UK needs to look at their policies - I know of people who draw British pensions who haven't lived or contributed to the country's economy in years - now that, I find disturbing :(

This makes my blood boil but in all reality what can we do about it when those we elect to represent us only seem to represent their own interests. Until we have the ability to sack MP's for not doing what they promised to do in their election manifestos then nothing will change.

I started work straight from school on a YTS scheme and was pad £25 per week and £15 of this was paid to my parents for my food and rent. Over the years I've been unemployed for short periods of time but got off my backside and found a job.

If I hear one more unemployed person say I'm not working for minimum wage I think I'll explode.

If you want money then get of your backside and earn it

I'm going to leave it there as the forum isn't the place for the things I would normally say on this subject