sure signal / vodafone

Mistyrayn

got sent by vodafone one of their sure signal boxes..

free gift / valued customer blah blah blah

so what does anyone know about these ..whats the good and bad bits..has any one used one and what did you think

i know nothing about this gadget so would appreciate all comments etc on it.. before i decide if to use it or not..

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-accessories/vodafone-sure-signal

It sounds like a con to me :eek:

I mean what is it !!!! it seems to me its just a 3G router which if you already got broadband in your house why would you want or use it and if your already in a low 3G area its not gonna make it any better :(

Soz m8 unless am missing something I just don't get it :(

@Dunc

its to boost your mobile phone signal if your living in a poor reception area...i have to put my phone in certain places indoors to get a signal but apparently with this it boosts via your wifi unit ..hence better reception.... Allegedly !!!

@Lucas

yeh vodafone started out offering me one at £50 then £20 and when i said ."no thanks it really isnt that big an issue that i wanna spend money on a gadget"

so then the said they would send it for free.. as a valued customer.. thats been with them for many years and have 3 mobile phone contracts with them..

:lolman: only reason im still with them is none of the other networks have given me

800 mins any phone / any time calls

unlimited text messages for £10 p/mnth

and i have the same deal on my other 2 lines that both my daughters have. and they bend over backwards to give us some really good phones on the contract renwal times and i allways manage to get loads of freebees outta of them...

:lolman: hence the sure signal...

So you are doing this ?????????

Just connect Sure Signal to a fixed-line home or office broadband with a minimum speed of 1MB

Reason am asking is I already use my home router for my laptop/computers 2 of / and 2 moblies and as far as I can tell thats all this is unless am missing something :confused:

@Dunc

its to boost your mobile phone signal if your living in a poor reception area...i have to put my phone in certain places indoors to get a signal but apparently with this it boosts via your wifi unit ..hence better reception.... Allegedly !!!

@Lucas

yeh vodafone started out offering me one at £50 then £20 and when i said ."no thanks it really isnt that big an issue that i wanna spend money on a gadget"

so then the said they would send it for free.. as a valued customer.. thats been with them for many years and have 3 mobile phone contracts with them..

:lolman: only reason im still with them is none of the other networks have given me

800 mins any phone / any time calls

unlimited text messages for £10 p/mnth

and i have the same deal on my other 2 lines that both my daughters have. and they bend over backwards to give us some really good phones on the contract renwal times and i allways manage to get loads of freebees outta of them...

:lolman: hence the sure signal...

I think we will ring them back :) We have 3 mobiles and have been with them for years, thanks for the heads up :thankyou:

We have something similar here in the US - and I'm not sure how similar it is so here goes.

What we have will use your broadband connection to place the call for you ( sorta like skype, I guess ). It's routing the call to <somewhere> and then sending the phone signal through the broadband then on to you called person. The comments I've heard are that it works okay, but I'd have to question it if you had a limited broadband connection ... might find yourself with one huge internet bill.

So you are doing this ?????????

Just connect Sure Signal to a fixed-line home or office broadband with a minimum speed of 1MB

Reason am asking is I already use my home router for my laptop/computers 2 of / and 2 moblies and as far as I can tell thats all this is unless am missing something :confused:

think im in the same catergory.. missing something.. im sure there must be some sort of con or cost etc hence the getting info before connecting. and would rather hear from people that have used or know about them than some bod at vodafone who's job it is to promote things and not give all info needed.

you say your using your home router for 2 mobiles... not being tech minded didnt know you could do that ??

We have something similar here in the US - and I'm not sure how similar it is so here goes.

What we have will use your broadband connection to place the call for you ( sorta like skype, I guess ). It's routing the call to <somewhere> and then sending the phone signal through the broadband then on to you called person. The comments I've heard are that it works okay, but I'd have to question it if you had a limited broadband connection ... might find yourself with one huge internet bill.

thanks for that... it was one of my concerns.. i have a 10 gb limit.. so dont know how much it would eat into it..

it gives a guide line over a 5 day period.. hmm i thought there was 7 days in a week and it gives worked out on 4 hrs a day.. but dunno if thats 4 hrs with phone on standby or 4 hours of talktime..

all info i am finding is some what vague !!!

M

My contract is up soon, I will be looking for a good deal :):hehe:

what ever they offer you... garaunteed you can make them squirm and give you more.... and if you plan on staying with them.. ask what extra can they do or how lower in price can they go if you extend contract from say 18 mth to a 24 month contract.. dont be worried about pushing for things like the latest blackberry's etc.

they want your custom.. and will do so much to keep it..!!!

Are with you now your on about making calls !!!!!!!

I was not and I don't think they are on there website its about the web not calls.........although saying that if it does I would be shocked as I can't see how it can.

As for what I was on about its we can use or phones to access the net on 3G but the signal is very slow going down to them using 2G so we have our phones set to use the router in our house which like I said I think thats all the Sure signal thing is going to do :(

@Marc is out but he might have more of an idea when he comes home :)

@Lucas and anyone else that is thinking of getting a vodafone sure signal box or their own networks version..

have today set up my one at my daughters house as neither her or her partner get any signal at all and thought they would get better use out of it.

took a little time for it to set up .. but that was expected as they have very slow internet in their area .. but i have to admit once it set itself all up..

instantly all our phones went from no signal to full strength.. i have never got a signal in their place and expected maybe half signal at most..

so a full signal was a surprise... these items seem to work very well..

Yup, SureSignal is basically a low power mast in your home - for 3G phones (and on Vodafone!). Works well but it (very) occasionally has a skit and won't connect properly (usually a problem with BB rather than Voda or the box) - but where I live we get a poor signal. One thing it doesn't do is "pick up" if you're on the phone, connected to the proper mast and go indoors - it'll transfer if you go from inside to outside, it's just the reverse it doesn't do