Thinkgs not to feed your four legged pack member

Andy, I think the guide is written to cover all eventualities. There are cases where dogs are taken to the vets with bones stuck in their throats and tearing up their digestive systems, but when you think about it, what do animals do in the wild?

I think it should say that cooked bones should definitely not be fed to dogs and use caution with raw bones.

Steve

Great link Dave, added to rep :)

Question.......I give my boys a raw egg once a week, but on the thread it states...

Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

my mums dog has just eaten a pack of 20 nicorette chewing gum , she wasnt fed it, she took it out of a handbag, 1.99 for a pack of gum, has so far cost 1467 in vets bills

Ouch - hope she's ok !

great find added to rep

However I have to say whoever wrote the article hasnt taken into account about people who feed BARF and that dogs have eaten raw meat and bones since their time began . IMO this mainly comes down to what people believe dogs shouldnt have, and yes I agree with most of it but thinks such as raw eggs are ok to be fed to dogs raw but only about once a week at the most.

shes still at the vets , the poison center said she needed to stay on a drip for 72 hours, so mum has to pick her up from the vets at 6.30pm, drive her to stoke for the overnight clinic, then pic her up b4 7 am and take her back to the vets in stafford, its bloody mad, 300 a night its costing, they r just hoping its covered by the insurance

shes still at the vets , the poison center said she needed to stay on a drip for 72 hours, so mum has to pick her up from the vets at 6.30pm, drive her to stoke for the overnight clinic, then pic her up b4 7 am and take her back to the vets in stafford, its bloody mad, 300 a night its costing, they r just hoping its covered by the insurance

OMG!! I hope the insurance cover them! When I was doing some work experienace at a vets they had a load come in with 2 King Charles Spaniels that had got hold of an entire pack of 500mg anti-inflametory tablets!!!! Only one of the dog survived but it was in the surgery for about a week or more the other had to be put to sleep as he was beyond saving! The one which survived had to have blood tranfusions, was on a drip and liquid food. Im not sure quite how much the lady had to fork out apart from it was ALOT! The lady was beating herslef up loads, even though they wasnt her tablets, they apparently belonged to her mum who must of left them on the side.

• 2 months later...

sorry but i dont agree with some of the things on the link, ive found numerous other links tht state tht eggs and bones are ok as long as they are raw or soaked in vinegar , the garlic point also as if your dog is not eaten it has been advised to sprinkle some garlic over there dinner to encourage to eat.

• 4 weeks later...