Frontline vs Ticks

My 3 are frontlined every month (we use the 20-40kgs dog pack) and it says that frontline prevents and also treats ticks (as well as fleas and other external parasites) but the past few days now I have been finding ticks on all 3 of my boys. Luckily I have been finding them just crawling over the fur and not actually suncken into the skin until thismorning when I was having a cuddle with Gizmo and found a big one latched onto his throat area :eek:

Luckily managed to remove it along with the head and teeth!!!

What I dont understand is if froontline is meant to prevent ticks then why am I finding them on my 3? I always check they are in date before I use it. Can dogs still get external parasites even when treated on a regular basis?

Does anyone know other way to help prevent ticks, fleas, etc? Im wondering weather to write into frontline and make a complaint as we take alot of walks into the woods and forests and I cant be walking them with the worry that they could be picking up fleas and ticks, etc!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure about speedier responce if its anything like other call centre may get the answer after month and a large phone bill lol

Waiting for a call back from pets at home and our vet to see if they have anyone else with problems and also to check their batch mine come from. Not sure weather I should frontline them again (were done about 2 weeks ago) and hoping the vet can give me some advice

Funnily enough, we took a couple of the rescues to our vets this morning - one for neutering and one for a check-up. While we were waiting I discovered a tick on one of the dog's chests. The vet said that this summer they have been overwhelmed with ticks - at least three cases each day (way above average) and that most of the dogs affected had been recently Frontlined. They said that there was increasing evidence that Frontline was now ineffective against ticks.

Mick

Guest Gemma Riley

Its well known that Frontline is now useless against ticks.

Alot of people use home made sprays now, alot more natural. I have been using Plush Puppy Sea breeze oil and have not had one on any of our dogs even though we are in the forest 3 times a week in a highly populated tick area. The sea breeze was not designed for prevention of ticks but seems to be working.

Frontline does not repel all ticks or fleas, but Frontline kills ticks and fleas that make it past the barrier. In order for Frontline to do its intended task, the flea or tick has to attach to the animal with the Frontline applied. Then and only then is Frontline fully affective. Once that takes place, the flea or tick will die within a reasonable amount of time, which is usually wthin a day I believe.

Our vet explained Frontline and other like-products, and worked with us to choose the product we felt would work best. We live in a rural area with all kinds of wildlife, including all sorts of ticks. We often find ticks attached to Zoya, some are already dead, indicating Frontline has done its job.

Don't know how it is in your part of the world, here in the US, there are outlets that sell Frontline and other vet-prescribed meds. Prices are usually fairly cheep. But the products are also near or after their intended shelf life. I always source meds for Zoya through our vet to ensure we are getting fresh product, plus our vet will stand behind any products they provide to us.

Frontline does not repel all ticks or fleas, but Frontline kills ticks and fleas that make it past the barrier. In order for Frontline to do its intended task, the flea or tick has to attach to the animal with the Frontline applied. Then and only then is Frontline fully affective. Once that takes place, the flea or tick will die within a reasonable amount of time, which is usually wthin a day I believe.

Our vet explained Frontline and other like-products, and worked with us to choose the product we felt would work best. We live in a rural area with all kinds of wildlife, including all sorts of ticks. We often find ticks attached to Zoya, some are already dead, indicating Frontline has done its job.

Don't know how it is in your part of the world, here in the US, there are outlets that sell Frontline and other vet-prescribed meds. Prices are usually fairly cheep. But the products are also near or after their intended shelf life. I always source meds for Zoya through our vet to ensure we are getting fresh product, plus our vet will stand behind any products they provide to us.

Thanks matt. Our vets is located in Pets At Home (Companion Care) and I buy the frontline and wormer there and always check the use by date on it before I use it. I think they are picking them up from when we go to the woods so I may stop going there for a while and stick to the housing estate walks for a bit until I feel more assured.

Ive also read that a small dose of garlic can help prevent external parasites and am going to pop in a speak to vet tomorrow about this and see what they say.

I suppose like any medication, they become immune to it over time?

Keep us posted on the feedback from Frontline Amy :)

Had no luck so far from frontline! Pets at home asked me to bring in the packet to them (even though all the pipetts are used as get the 3 pack) so Ive got the wonderful task of sifting through the rubbish, lovely

will keep you updated

Frontline does not repel all ticks or fleas, but Frontline kills ticks and fleas that make it past the barrier. In order for Frontline to do its intended task, the flea or tick has to attach to the animal with the Frontline applied. Then and only then is Frontline fully affective. Once that takes place, the flea or tick will die within a reasonable amount of time, which is usually wthin a day I believe..

It didn't work in this case. The bitch was frontlined a few weeks ago and judging by its size, the tick had been there before we took her in a week ago. It was still alive when the vet removed it. Our dogs tend not to get fleas or ticks - we think it's because we have lots of wild garlic growing around our yard and the dogs occasionally graze on the leaves. As I said, our vet is no longer recommending Frontline for ticks as in their view it is ineffective.

Mick

As I said, our vet is no longer recommending Frontline for ticks as in their view it is ineffective.

Mick

That's strange. Maybe it's our difference in location. I was noticing tons of ticks here in the Northeast US about 2 months ago and they were making their way into my home via Sheba. At the time, I was only using a collar. Once I began using Frontline, the problem ceased. I also stayed out of the woods with her, which had been routine on our walks. Here in the US, I have not heard of Frontline being ineffective. As Dave said, correctly I believe, Frontline is not a repellant.

Here in the US, I have not heard of Frontline being ineffective. As Dave said, correctly I believe, Frontline is not a repellant.

It might also be that the formula is different in Europe. The European Union have some very weird rules about what can and can't go into medicines both for humans and dogs.

Mick

It didn't work in this case. The bitch was frontlined a few weeks ago and judging by its size, the tick had been there before we took her in a week ago. It was still alive when the vet removed it. Our dogs tend not to get fleas or ticks - we think it's because we have lots of wild garlic growing around our yard and the dogs occasionally graze on the leaves. As I said, our vet is no longer recommending Frontline for ticks as in their view it is ineffective.

Mick

Have to agree Mick, I got to see our vet today and took Gizmo with me (walked him at the same time) and he looked over Gizmo and found another Tick on his "arm pit" which was still alive also! He also mentioned that they were getting comebacks similar to mine with others and in some cases the Tick infestation was worse than Gizmo's luckily he only found the one tick and went through him with a fine toothcomb! He said he will contact frontline on his patients behalf and has also advised me to contact them also as them will be more likely to get a possible refund on it (I said I dont want a refund, I want to walk my boys without finiding ticks on them when I get back!). He advised to check them everytime after they have been out or at least every day and if either of my 3 start to get infested with ticks to bring them into the surgery.

I got back and went through Marley and Bandit with a very fine toothcomb and luckily no ticks, phew! Im looking at maybe getting the treatment which Lee uses on Rudy which prevents both internal and external parasites but have to consult vet first though.

frontline has never worked on ticks for my lot,if we go to the woods they have a de ticking when they get back,by that i mean lay on there backs with there arms an legs in the air so i can pick em off:eek:

any that do attatch themselves,i have a wonderful plastic green thing that u hook the tick,twist it and comes out with head,its fantas-tick

:icon6:

frontline has never worked on ticks for my lot,if we go to the woods they have a de ticking when they get back,by that i mean lay on there backs with there arms an legs in the air so i can pick em off:eek:

any that do attatch themselves,i have a wonderful plastic green thing that u hook the tick,twist it and comes out with head,its fantas-tick

:icon6:

Let me ask you something Julie,

It seems like ticks are a major problem where you are. Do you ever need a "de ticking"? I've been pretty lucky where I am. The only de ticking I needed was about a year ago. I had discovered a tiny tick just below my belly button that was probably there for almost a week. I had no idea they could be that small. (the size of the tip of a pencil in some cases)