licking

My wife knows about this. She went to bed about an hour ago, so let me see if I can remember what she told me.

When dog A approaches dog B, and dog A licks the mouth of dog B, dog A is showing respect to dog B. If dog B in turn licks the mouth of dog A, the respect is returned.

I've observed this between our Husky, Zoya, and our son's Aussie, Koda.

I have no idea if this is correct, or where my wife picked up this tidbit of info. It may have been from a gal we know that raised wolves for introduction into the wild.

Mouth licking

When you dog is/was a puppy, they will often lick their mother’s mouth in when they seek food. This is a care-soliciting behaviour which they do and will often do this to their owners as well. Some dogs will also lick the mouth of other dogs and will sometimes have a ‘quite nose’ around. They may lift the corners of the other dog’s mouth and sniff around as a way of seeing what the other dog has eaten recently. A lot of the time, you will find that the most submissive dog will lick the mouth of the most dominant dog.

Andy beat me to the link but here's the part about the mouth licking :)

Dave's right, with our two Alaska is the domminant one, so in the morning when the doggeyz first see each other Balto will go and lick Alaska's mouth >>> now depending on her mood sometimes she will lick back but i have to say most of the time she shows her teeth and move her head >>>> I know poor Baltz right >> he only went to give his lil sis a kiss ;)

But sometimes when Balto has just eaten Alaska will move his lips and inspect his mouth >> even Baltz cant resist if Alaski has eaten something good, but he usually bites off more than he can chew with Alaska's response!!!

Added to rep Dave >>> Very impressive remembering all that info from just last night LOL