How to tire out my puppy?

I can't let her run lose in a dog park cause she won't come back to me as she gets so distracted. Taking her for a hike doesn't do it for her anymore, i can't ride a bike with her because she runs over on the other side and infront of the bike. I've tried a treadmill but she is terrfied of it. I cannot run outside with her, because honestly, I am not that great in shape to run an hour in this high air- but my husband can do it. (We live in Colorado)

Since i am doing this alone it is wearing me out -My husband is away on 2 month business trip. It's like i give and give and give her so much and so many options but she doens't obey to any of them. If anyone please has some advice for me, Please let me know. I know i need to be patient in training her to do these things, but there's gotta be something out there we can do in the meantime. When i take her out in the yard and play with her for like 20 min, she gets exhausted for 10 min and then is back to her high energy rants again

Ps. Jasmine is 6 months old so i know it's a crucial stage to set boundries. Has anyone tried backpacks?:(

welcome to the pack,, she shouldnt be running TOO much at that age as she is still growing - walks and training should be enuf to tire her out,,, mental stimulation (trick training, recall training ect should keep her mind active - but start in short bursts,, as you dont want to over do it and have her get bored n ignore you

also have u heard of a walkydog? if you do bike with her just do little runs - maybe 5 mins or so then walk her for a while -- the walkydog helps keep your dog at a safe distance away from the bike and stops them from running behind or infront of the bike

http://www.walkydog.com/walkydog_e.htm?v_lingua=ENG&v_iss_web=0000000011030108551464817154&v_categ_lista=P0000-W0001&v_pagina_down_video=DOWNLOAD

at 6mths i was only doing 30mins of exercise with my pup as per recommendation. running is defo not suitable you could really hurt her bones and joints as they are not developed. my pup is now nearly 10mths and due to recent heat and very high humidity (huskys suffer quickly in heat) he only had 15mins or so early am and was fine.

Have you tried mental stimulation?

She could well be getting un-necessary energy from her food - what food do you give and what amounts? huskys need very little food. so any slight overfeeding will just go into energy she needs to burn off.

Have you taken pup to puppy classes to learn some training ideas (you must be consistant)

Is she left alone for long periods?

When she is at home how does she behave - chewing, running around the garden on her own etc?

Well running would not really be an option for a 6 months old dog, especially on hard surfaces.

I wouldn't regularly use a backpack either, they would be fine for her from time to time and with a very light weight considering her age, but not everyday. We had a backpack (until it broke!!!) and it made a huge difference on walks, but even with an adult I wouldn't use it daily.

What I would do to mine if I really, really wanted to tire him out would be get a bag of treats (he loves pieces of liver) and do some obedience training with him on the street. 30 minutes of that and he will be as tired as after a 2hr walk. She would only need to know a few commands, like sit, down, you can even teach heel. Practicing this stuff in a place other than home can really exhaust them - it's a difficult thing being attentive to you with all the distractions around.

Thank you guys!! I really appriciate this.

I almost never leave Jasmine alone. Only if i need to go run and errand and i keep to to no longer than 2 hours as she is in her crate.

@ Huskyprincess, You might have an excellent point. I might overfeed her. I give her a can of food in the morning and then i have a small bowl of dry food and water out in the day where she can eat if she wants to, but i've never seen her really eat of that unless its late and she is hungry. Maybe i will limit to half a can of food.

I do train her on a regular basis. Although lately we've slacked. But i will pick that up again. She does bite the couch and coffee table, also, chasing out smaller dogs- which is why i am lead to believe that she needs a lot of excersice. I wan't to steer her away from that behavior and take her out on walks instead but it's useless.

I have a walkydog and thoroughly recommend them. Keep the bike in the lowest gear. Bo loves to chase cats, foxes, squirrels and after only having the walkydog for three weeks he now realises that there is no way he can get to them and just ignores them. Turning corners is also safe as the arm keeps your dog from under the wheels. It is also great because the attachment comes off the bike and works as a sort of lead for when you are attaching or detatching them from the bik. Only thing I did add was a split washer to go with the nut and bolt that attaches the arm to the bike fixing as the split washer stops the bolt working loose.

Also Bo recently got into his bag of kibble and besides giving him an upset stomach the only way I could describe him was Tigger on Speed!!! And he didn't have his head in there for long either. I am amazed how the excess food changed his personality, he was really buzzing and hyper.

Another tip that might help you is something that Battersea Dogs Home do to keep the dogs happy they spread Marmite on the dogs toys. This keeps them occupied and stimulated for ages. I have a dog bone which we spread Marmite on both the inside and outside. Keeps Bo amused when we want to leave him and he knows he gets this when he is being left.

When you run errands do you go in the car. A car journey can also tire your pup. Has she a cuddly toy that you can hide or yourself get her to search. You start by hiding it behind your back then flicking it further away. Very good stimulation. Just getting your pup to do a stay tires them. Also a pyramid treat dispenser ( ebay )put her kibble in theres her breakfast makes them work for it ,drains energy. My willow was very active pup and all these things helped and i could get on with my house work....lol. Good luck just stay with it and be firm that when you know she should be tired make her relax by putting her to bed or her sleeping area I always use nomore after I have finished playing then ignor. are you playing active high excitment games if so play a more relaxed game like belly rubs ect to calm her down before you put her to bed. Like you would with a child you read to them to relax them. Does that make sense........lol Good luck

when you say a 'tin' of food what is it? check the ingredients. huskys REALLY dont do well with additives, wheat etc. this goes for tin and dry food.

compare the ingredients with names such as taste of the wild, arden grange, CSJ specifically hike on, skinners superior...all of which have good amounts of protein and are hypoallergenic. be careful on the amounts, generally huskys only need feeding the lower end of the RDA

taste of the wild and arden grange are a pricier food where as CSJ and skinners is much less but still a good quality food (IMO)

Ive sat in the garden before blowing bubbles (we bought a bubble machine but the noise can be quite offputting so don't use that often), they get caught in the wind and she runs round the garden jumping up trying to catch them - really tires her out without me having to do hardly anything! As others have said mental exercise will tire them out quickly - especially new tricks.

Good luck :)

• 2 weeks later...

My husky is almost a year now at the 6 month point we had a fenced yard but now I live in a one bedroom apartment (in Utah hello Colorado) I went to walmart and got a 20 foot cable lead and tie her to the beam outside the door and it is enough lenth she can play for a while (make sure it is a cable tie out or your pup will chew right through it) I also try and take her to the fenced dog park everyday or every other day. if you dont have a fenced dog park I recommened a 20 foot training lead they are inexpensive and it's a good way to train recall as well. Also take her to a local pet store mine girl loves petco. It is great socialization and tires them out. After exersice try mental stimulation. fill a kong with peanut butter or canned food and freeze it. it keeps them brain busy (mentally stimulated) a husky is an intellegent breed and need to be excersiced yes but keeping them brain busy as well will keep them from chewing or destroying other stuff you dont want them to have.

agree with what everyone else has said...also have you looked into what you're feeding her yet? we had to change bellas food a few times till we found one to fit her...still wanting to change again tho to get onto TOTW just can't find anyway to get it here!!! grr

also be careful how much you exercise her...we havn't even started bella on a bike yet and shes now 9 months...All pups are full of energy and there huskys so they have that much more!!! Bella was the exact same would run around sleep for 5 mins n be good to go again we found kongs were also good for keeping her occupied with different treats inside...

good luck