Crate training ideas

I feel your pain - i've just rehomed an 18 month old male and he is screaming the place down and has done this to his crate:

316142_10150310930861377_596446376_8400637_1924045735_n.jpg

Persevere, keep on track with what you're doing - it won't happen overnight but you will get there xxx

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain - i've just rehomed an 18 month old male and he is screaming the place down and has done this to his crate:

316142_10150310930861377_596446376_8400637_1924045735_n.jpg

Persevere, keep on track with what you're doing - it won't happen overnight but you will get there xxx

Oh wow good luck and thanks for the support! I think we are slowly getting him to like his crate :) xxx

My Kayla has been in her crate since day one at 6 weeks. She gave me hell the first few nights but I just listened and observed her movement. I even slept upside down for a while to be sure I could hear her become agitated when she didn't know to not pee in there. She still has accidents every once in a while but goes sometimes a few days with the same bedding. I LOVE the t-shirt idea as this would really be a good comfort. As I was reading I was thinking of a reward that could work with her. Maybe dropping a treat in unnoticed for her to find when she wakes could work. My wife is flipping out as to how much attention I give her but really I'm just paying close attention, not so much all over her, but minding her queues for various things (silent queues of course). She's still very dramatic and vocal at times but if we can't stand it we'll out her or cover her up with a blanket. I've noticed she really just wants to be part of the action (as we do not let her roam freely inside yet till she stops wetting her crate (carpets). We'll get there, I hope.:whip:

It really takes time and patience with some dogs. My best suggestion is to read every word on this thread. A lot of members with experience in crate training have contributed in it; telling of the things that worked for them. However, at the risk of sounding redundant I will share a couple consistent points:

* Never put your animal in the crate as a punishment.

* Never respond to their acting out in the crate. This only reinforces their idea that enough howling WILL get a reaction from you.

* Always leave the door open in the crate and allow them access to it when they aren't actually in lockdown. This will give them opportunity to wander in on their own.

Mya is crate and bed trained as you can see she is laying on my bed keeping it warm for me while im at work.

best way I found to crate train is get a piece of clothing from family that your husky is attached or see as a pack leader, put it in the crate, let he/she sniff and be curious, take the husky for a long walk, treat her well with her favorite treats and do a trail like with the treats to the crate, and DO NOT close the crate door, let the dog get comfy and be is submissive state before you close the door.

leave the husky for 10-15 mins, let it out the crate, dont excite her with good girl or good boy with high pitch tone, DONT even speak, let the husky out, give it some treats and try again every couple of hrs and eventually the husky will go to the crate without you even asking...

as you see Mya is on my bed, she knows she has to go in crate at nights and on my bed during days, she knows where to go toilet, and not to mess my room as im the leader not her.

rgds,

Mike M.

My Loki has just turned 6months and is still struggling with being left in her crate during the day and Ive tried pretty much EVERYTHING on this thread. Its got to the point Ive now noticed she is pulling out the fur on her paws, possibly through stress etc which is really troubling. At night she happily sleeps around the house without causing any destruction......could it be time to give her a shot at roaming the house or confine her to a few rooms while im gone for an hour or two, as the crate just seems like a losing battle for both of us even after all this time?

I know they are notoriously destructive and you hear some horror stories, but has anyone had success leaving their Husky home alone or similar problems with the crating?:S:

My Loki has just turned 6months and is still struggling with being left in her crate during the day and Ive tried pretty much EVERYTHING on this thread. Its got to the point Ive now noticed she is pulling out the fur on her paws, possibly through stress etc which is really troubling. At night she happily sleeps around the house without causing any destruction......could it be time to give her a shot at roaming the house or confine her to a few rooms while im gone for an hour or two, as the crate just seems like a losing battle for both of us even after all this time?

I know they are notoriously destructive and you hear some horror stories, but has anyone had success leaving their Husky home alone or similar problems with the crating?:S:

We gave Teeko run of the kitchen for some time but only because he appeared completely content at being left. If she is still stressed then it probably wouldn't help to let her have the house. Also, she is only 6 months old so you still have the teenage phase which we are dealing with now and he started chewing again after 2 or 3 months of no problems whatsoever.

Do you give her kongs? Music? All that kind of stuff? Other than that, persist. Start back from the beginning. 2 mins, then out....5 mins, then out....etc etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my puppy, he is only three months old but when I got him a month ago I was really worried how he would do in his crate. We bought him a huge crate so he had lots of room. He only sleeps in it and only cries when he has to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. When my husband and I are gone we put the crate (with the door open) and him in our hallway so he isn't confined to just the crate for a few hours. He loves his crate we load it up with his toys and a couple bones that takes him forever to chew and he is one happy camper. My only concern is that when he gets older he will start to realize he is in a crate and want to get out and cry nonstop. My husband and I only plan on keeping him in the crate for a little while. He is potty trained we just want him to let us know he has to go outside to go potty in the middle of the night like he does in his crate before we let him sleep in our bed. If we don't see him go to the door he will go to the bathroom in that very second. I got really lucky with my puppy when it comes to the crate. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I did ( kesha HATED her crate)

- I never used it for punishment

- I turned it into a positive place by:

always feeding her in there

placing all her toys in there so she had to go in to get them out

sometimes hiding treats in there so that when she would venture in she would find a nice surprise

Now she goes in on her own sometimes, just to sleep

she still doesnt like to be in there when she knows we are home, but its not emotionally scarring for her to be in there when we have to go out somewhere, as to her the crate is now a safe haven, a place of all things positive

Well let me give you my experiance, and with our latest, Dax, what an experiance it was!!! lol. All the others before him were very simple. Just did the ignoring and making it pleasureable for them when they were in there thing, repeatedly through the day and they were trained in no time at all. But Dax!!! Whoa he was a completely different kettle of Fish. Using Stephanie's terms, Dax went absolutely spastic in his crate. Destroying crates, chewing and digging ANYTHING within 2 feet reach. Soiling out of anxiety(which he also would do if uncrated) His main problem was he was a husky who had never been told no and had some S.A. No matter where you put him, in or out the crate, with or without another dog, he was the same. It has taken me months to get him to where he is now. Where we might get the odd howl or so, but within reason 9/10 not a peep. It got so bad that just doing the usual technique didnt work. It was like a vicious circle, he would do his thing, and get more anxious so he would get worse and worse and worse. Scream the whole night with no let up :( So I did 2 things, not ideal but in his case they worked. 1 was buy a spray collar. This helped because it broke the cycle of working himself up, as the more he screamed, the worse he was and it escalated. Almost immediately he was better. Then 2 I bought some Serene-Um tablets. The 2 combined made such a difference. I would say his S.A is almost gone, he hardly ever cries and I have reduced his dosage so I know its not just the tablets doing the thing. Also he doesnt wear the collar now either. It has taken weeks, but eventually we have successs :)

Oh meant to add he was 9 months at start of training, and it is definately the way to go of start training from day 1 and as young as possible :)

• 3 weeks later...

my boyfriend and i have had our husky sleep in a kennle at night since she came home with us. we started by giving her a single treat for going into it at night. she is 8 months now and goes into her kennel on her own at night, no problems. We still give her treats for going in it every once in a wile just to reinforce that the kennel is a good thing. Its so cute when my boyfriend an I come back into the room after our nightime routine in the bathroom to find Rogue already lieing in her kennel ready for bed.

• 4 months later...

I need URGENT help!! My Siberian husky is 5 months old and we have had her since she was 8 weeks old. I bought a large crate for her which we began training her to go in since week 1 of having her. We gradually introduced her to the crate by putting treats in there without shutting the door, playing in there with her and feeding her in there. She has always been great in there at night and never cried but it is just the mornings and when we leave. The routine is now: she will cry in the morning to be let out for toilet and then goes back in her crate after she's gone outside, I then get up and get ready for work and leave her in there so she knows it's not just when I leave the house that she goes in the crate. I then take her out for a 45 min walk, come home, give her a peanut butter kong in there and leave for work at about 7:45am. She is then in there until 12:00 when my dog walker comes and let's her out, gives her lunch, plays with her and goes. I then get home at 5:20pm, take her for another 45 min walk and give her dinner. Now we have been doing this routine for months and she STILL cries in her crate, sometimes for hours and hours. What can I do????? I have tried everything, crate training her every night, ignoring her, telling her off.. Nothing seems to be working and she is almost 6 months old, is this normal husky behaviour?

I need URGENT help!! My Siberian husky is 5 months old and we have had her since she was 8 weeks old. I bought a large crate for her which we began training her to go in since week 1 of having her. We gradually introduced her to the crate by putting treats in there without shutting the door, playing in there with her and feeding her in there. She has always been great in there at night and never cried but it is just the mornings and when we leave. The routine is now: she will cry in the morning to be let out for toilet and then goes back in her crate after she's gone outside, I then get up and get ready for work and leave her in there so she knows it's not just when I leave the house that she goes in the crate. I then take her out for a 45 min walk, come home, give her a peanut butter kong in there and leave for work at about 7:45am. She is then in there until 12:00 when my dog walker comes and let's her out, gives her lunch, plays with her and goes. I then get home at 5:20pm, take her for another 45 min walk and give her dinner. Now we have been doing this routine for months and she STILL cries in her crate, sometimes for hours and hours. What can I do????? I have tried everything, crate training her every night, ignoring her, telling her off.. Nothing seems to be working and she is almost 6 months old, is this normal husky behaviour?

no its not a normal husky behavior. I think it's more like Separation Anxiety. Loads of threads here about SA, you can have a look around ;) ignoring her is the best method. Telling her off, both verbally and physically, is not gonna help.

Have you tried putting the radio on for her? When you leave, how do you act? Do you fuss her and say goodbye erc? Same for when you get home, do you make a fuss?

Like Olivia said, ignorance is key. Especially when you get home. Ignore her for at least a couple of minutes before you let her and and before you leave.

Have you tried freezing her long so that it takes longer to finish? And do you know how long she cries for? We got our neighbour to listen for Teeko and he used to cry for 5 minutes and then nothing. He grew out of this by the time he was about 10 months old. Severe SA will have her crying nonstop until someone comes to her. If its just a few minutes, then it's prob only slight SA or a husky tantrum that she will likely grow out of if you are consistent with her training.

No we don't make a fuss of her at all, in fact we have started to ignore her generally a lot more as we used to be very cuddly with her. To be honest she is worst when she knows we are in the house, she obv doesn't understand why she can't be outside with us!! She went through one week where she was brilliant, stuck to her routine and gave us lots more sleep! Now just a few weeks later and she has completely reverted. I don't leave radio or anything on for her but her crate is right next to a big open window so she can see out and all her toys and blankets are in there with her. It's very strange because once you walk into the room she will go silent and just lie down.. Almost like she is just crying to get us in the room!! She is not scared of her crate, will walk in and out of it all day and is fine if she has a kong, but when she finishes it she will cry again. Like I said, if she thinks we are not in the house, she doesn't cry.

We have just practiced some crate training with her which included putting her in the crate and staying in the room and increasing the time she was in there. She was silent the whole time. However we then tried the same technique but walked out of the room, she cried straight away and non stop. Then when walking into the room again, she was silent. We then tried this again but turned the tv off and slammed the door but stayed in the house to see how long she cried for. She was hysterical first of all and then was quiet within 3 minutes. It seems she is only upset when we leave the actual room, as when we are in the room she will lie down in her crate and be quiet. She also has a D.A.P diffuser next to her crate but this also hasn't helped

Hmmm tricky one. Our 2 aren't crated when we are home, only the little one is at night. Is it possible to start from scratch? And when you leave the room the first time, go immediately back in, don't leave time for her to cry, but ignore her when you do go in and just get on with something, then leave again, building time up like you have mentioned.

The radio really really helps for ours. It gives them something to think about.

As for the big window, ours actually hate having their crate near the window and prefer it under the counter where it is more closed in.

The reason dogs cry is to get their pack back, so it's no surprise she stos when you enter the room. Sorry I can't be more help, we really only use the crates when we go out.

No that's interesting thank you, I know we are the same we like to give her as much freedom as possible when we are home but have found that it makes her worse when we have to leave and put her in there, so am trying to do this more regularly when we are home so that it is more random to her.

No that's interesting thank you, I know we are the same we like to give her as much freedom as possible when we are home but have found that it makes her worse when we have to leave and put her in there, so am trying to do this more regularly when we are home so that it is more random to her.

Good luck! Totally see where your logic is coming from but, as we don't need them crated when we are home, it really works for us that they see the kong, hop into their crates and know they should probably go to sleep now because it is either a) bedtime or B) mum and dad have gone out. I think we should probably try what you are doing now and again, just incase one day we need it.

But, our 2 have definite case of OCD and love any routine. They know bedtime comes when I go out to sort the rabbits and they know the steps that follow it. They recognise the signs that we are going out. Although the actual structure of their day is higgledy piggledy these 'mini routines' if you like, really work for them.

• 4 weeks later...

When we adopted Luna the first time we put her in the crate she cried for hours. Then our neighbor suggested putting a blanket over the crate so she can't see out of it. It worked like magic! She is so quiet in her crate now, its wonderful.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To train Luna we would spend time putting treats and toys in the crate so she see it was were good things happen then after that we would only treat her when she put a paw in then moved on to all of her then after a week she loved it I must admit we did take it in turns to sleep downstairs with her for first 4 nights which seemed to help a lot and now we have no problems what so ever she loves her crate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 months later...

Having read through I think I will have to toughen up! Elka is 9 weeks and came to live with us on Saturday. She is happy to wander in and out the crate and sleep if I lift her from where she settled after play. Think I will start feeding her in the crate although I was focusing on getting her to sit first and handling her food while she eats to prevent food aggression. I'm going back to work in 2 weeks but am lucky enough to work part-time

Elka 

531914_10151492581024414_2145314990_n1.j

• 4 weeks later...

Kira was crate trained from the 3rd day after we got her. The first 2 nights she howled the house down and chewed all of my door frames in the kitchen. We bought her a crate and put a towel over one half of it, left the door open and she went into it! Now we leave it open as a safe place for her to go away from the cat or from my daughter.( The cat is a bully and my daughter is very loud when she wants attention) it takes up most of the hall but if I was a dog I would sleep in it! The door has now been taken off and it sits open at all times because its what she likes. Iv tried taking her bed out and putting it In the hall and collapsing the crate but she likes it too much. Not the ideal thing I know because of the space it takes up but at least she has her own house she can escape to for peace and quiet