Crate training ideas

My husky just turned a year old, I rescued him at 9 months old. Currently working on crate training him.

He easily gets out of basically either of the two common crates you find, wire, or the plastic shell. Either he unlatches them, or he simply breaks the door down (mind you he's not a giant, just 50 lbs) it's clear he has anxiety. He also will chew on the wires of wire cages or on the plastic slots on the shell cages, which I'm afraid will harm his teeth, and if left too long (maybe 3 hrs) his chewing will start to make blisters on his mouth.

He's my second husky I've rescued and fourth dog all together, so I'm familiar with dogs and have a decent idea of how to crate train, but something I'm sure other owners know is how different huskies are than other dogs, which is what's made it difficult for me to know exactly what to do. 

I recently got him a sturdier cage and I've begun with just  putting him in and staying relatively close, giving reinforcement and everything just to teach him that it's a good place to be, which has worked somewhat, but I'm not so sure.

Also, the reason I don't leave him out is because he gets into random items (not food) and opens any door that he wants, so I would have to lock all the doors and pick up every item within his reach.

I don't know if others have gone through similar things with their huskies, but I'm still learning and I'd really appreciate any advice I can get!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Shadow wasn't too hard to crate train...! I was very Lucky lol! The first 4 nights, it was hell. He was howling non-stop ALL night. But i hanged in there, and now, he's going by himself in his crate when it's bedtime!!

Some tips i used:

-I put his crate in my bedroom, next to my bed.

- I put a blanket on his crate to make him more "secure".

- And most importanty, i didn't speak to him or giving attention when he was howing!!!

So, all-in-all, it took Shadow 4 nights! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I am fairly new to this forum so I just seen this post. But I've also posted and asked questions with help on crate training since I adopted a two year old that hadn't been in one since he was a pup. The advice I got was great, and it just takes a couple of weeks. Or it did for me, I would give Niko a treat once I got him in there and struggled getting him in there for a couple of weeks but after that, now he's great. He goes freely and I don't give a treat when I let him out just for going in. Good luck everyone. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

My white did not like the crate I just left the crate open and let him to go in and out at his own pace then gradual shut the crate and went out for 15min then came back and let him out and not make a fuss of him then I kept doing that but away longer every time so he got to know that he would get out when one of us got home, now he likes the crate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel bad for saying this but I had no option to acclimate Max to the Kennel.  I have to be out the door at a certain time each weekday.  He came to me with a hate of his crate.  I got Max at around a year old.  So I had to gently drag him into it.  But each time I would give him a treat or two.  After a week, I stopped dragging as he was now accustomed to the pattern that he needed to be in the kennel when I had to leave for work.  I started with standing by the open kennel with a treat in my hand.  He would reluctantly go in but he would go.  I would also lock all his toys into the kennel for short periods of time for him to realize all his fun time toys are in it and for him to want to go in it.  After a few weeks of that he started to go in with out bribing.  The pattern had been established.  I still give him a treat and water each day.  But it is so routine that when he hears the Andy Griffith Song he walks in and lays down.

He doesn't hate it anymore.  It became his home while I am at work.  Also I will iterate that the kennel is only used for leaving the house for extended periods and if I have to clean a puppy mess and need the dog out of my way for a bit.  Never as punishment.  I think his previous owner used it as a punishment as he never wanted anything to do with it.

• 3 weeks later...

People might not agree with this, but I did the "earthquake" training with Otto. He had a crate with a handle on top when I first got him, small enough to shake it. The first night I had him I put him in the cried and he immediately started crying. After 10-15 minutes (3-4 shakes) he stopped. I would shake for about 2-3 seconds, stop shaking, and say "Otto, quiet" and he hasn't been loud since. He goes right inside now, on command, and even when my roommates are home or in and out of the house during the day he remains quiet. Only if I out him in his crate and remain in the house will he be loud. I.e. If I don't go to bed, but rather go watch TV downstairs or go make something to eat he will wine. That's ok with me, because that rarely ever happens.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for putting your experiences on here. Great way to learn what to try before making something up yourself and dragging the process out! Wish me luck while we crate train Thor our 11 month husky. Our only problem is our unreasonable neighbours who bang on the wall if the dog howls. Even if it's just 30 seconds into play!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We started crate training the first day with Anaya, she was 3 months old.  It was really bad at first.  She would go in around 10 pm and cry for about an hour, each night  she would cry a little less.  This lasted about a week. I slept on the couch with her a few times near her crate but I think this just made it worse.  The biggest problem we had after she was use to the crate was her waking up at 5:30 am.  My son just started sleeping through the night, (he's 5) - so this was an unfortunate set back.  5:30 on a Saturday, ugh.  So this went on for a few more months but we noticed that she never needed to go to the bathroom when she got up that early, we'd let her out and she would just lay on the deck.  So one night a week or so ago (she is 7 months now) we left her out of her crate when we went to bed. We have baby gates up so she only has access to two rooms (kitchen and living room).   We all slept till 7, it was heaven.  She just didn't like being in the crate I guess.  So now we don't lock her crate at night, sometimes she goes in there to sleep and sometimes she sleeps on the couch or the kitchen floor. 

She still goes in he crate when we go out, I don't quite trust her that much yet, I saw a video where a Husky ate a couch.

Thanks for the advice on here. We have managed to crate train Thor with minimal noise so that the neighbours didnt get annoyed with us 😄 (we live in a semi-dettached house next to people that hate dogs!)

We started by putting Thor in his crate to eat and let him go into the garden afterwards.

Then we started putting him in there for an hour a day after his afternoon walk. While we had showers etc. Once he was happy and understood not to make noise we started to leave him a bit longer.

We then put him in the crate while we were at work each day for two weeks. My boyfriend works nights every other week and didn't hear a thing during the day and he is a light sleeper!

We then started putting him in the crate at night as well. And there wasn't any noise.

We wanted him in his crate because we have an older dog, Cassie our Samoyed, as well and we want to separate them a bit because she's getting too old to be jumped all over and slept on by a dog that is now bigger and heavier than her.

So now we ask him to go in his crate and tell him we are going to work, or to bed and there is no problem. We always let him go straight outside when he is let out of his crate, even if it's only been 10 mins just so he goes straight to the door. And uses his burst of energy in the garden instead of around the house!

• 5 months later...

Hi, 

I think our female is all done growing..(she just turned a year)  maybe she might get a bit fluffier, but she is at about 45 lbs. right now.  I thought she would be much bigger and got her a large crate.. I could fit 2 1/2 of her in it.  We definitely could of went with the medium.