Getting husky maybe? Adivce?

Thanks! I never thought of that. And of course now I remember we always had two of them at least when we were growing up. My family friend has offered to let us babysit a couple of his dogs on a weekend to see if we'd fit. He's purposely picking the dogs that were too calm for the sled... so we'll see how this goes.

Do you know is there much difference between malamutes and huskies? I just remember the mals being twice the size but quieter.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That will be good if your friend can do that for you, would help you realise if a sibe/mal would fit into your lifestyle well or not :) I would say, if you get any doubts about it what so ever then dont get a sibe or mal, only get one if you are 100% sure that you will be able to cope with all of their requirements.

as for the sibe and mal differences I found this link which may be useful: http://aspcacommunity.ning.com/group/northernbreeds/forum/topics/alaskan-malamute-vs-siberian

one difference I do know of (apart from the size) is the sibe can have various eye colours and I think possibly coat colour too twhereas the malamute only usually has brown eyes (never seen bi-eyed, parti-eyed, green eyed or blue eyed mal)

one difference I do know of (apart from the size) is the sibe can have various eye colours and I think possibly coat colour too twhereas the malamute only usually has brown eyes (never seen bi-eyed, parti-eyed, green eyed or blue eyed mal)

yh mals only ever have brown eyes

they r stronger too as they are built for strength whereas sibes are built for speed

• 1 month later...

To keep you updated... We're getting a husky!

We did more research and called around to some breeders. We met with one and we really liked her and her dogs. She doesn't breed to make money and she was very upfront about making sure her dogs go to the right homes. We were very honest about ourselves and after talking and meeting with her all three of us were confident we could give a husky a good home. So we put down a deposit on her litter of puppies. (That were JUST born, she said it was fate) She's watching the litter closely and when they're old enough to leave mommy, she'll point out the one that is the most balanced and people oriented for us. Then we can go see him (her boys tend to be the mroe calm ones) and if we like him, we take him home.

Thank you all for your advice and I look forward to being an active member of this forum and having a husky in my life again!!! :D

To keep you updated... We're getting a husky!

We did more research and called around to some breeders. We met with one and we really liked her and her dogs. She doesn't breed to make money and she was very upfront about making sure her dogs go to the right homes. We were very honest about ourselves and after talking and meeting with her all three of us were confident we could give a husky a good home. So we put down a deposit on her litter of puppies. (That were JUST born, she said it was fate) She's watching the litter closely and when they're old enough to leave mommy, she'll point out the one that is the most balanced and people oriented for us. Then we can go see him (her boys tend to be the mroe calm ones) and if we like him, we take him home.

Thank you all for your advice and I look forward to being an active member of this forum and having a husky in my life again!!! :D

thats great news!!!!!!!!!!! cant wait to see some pics :) keep us updated how it all goes