Getting husky maybe? Adivce?

Hi there,

My husband and I are thinking about getting a Husky or Malamute. I just want to get some good advice before we start looking.

Growing up we had a couple of huskies and a couple of malamutes. From what I remember they were exceptional (albeit hyper) dogs and well behaved. They had the occasional set back but my step-dad was always there with a firm hand to set them straight. Eventually when my younger brothers were born my parents didnt have enough time for four children and four dogs so we gave them up in place for a smaller less needy dog.

Our current situation we live in the city but have a very large back yard and are very close to a huge dog park (you can go on 10 km hike still within the park!!!) We recently had a dog that we had to give up but we were used to taking her for two or three long walks a day and that would also include rollerblading if the weather was right. We watch Ceasar Millan and follow his pack leadership training religiously, and are willing to do training once or twice a week (more frequent in the first few months if needs be). However, we both work during the day and the dog would be alone for 8-10 hours during the week. We have thought about doggie day care one or twice a month just for proper socialization.

Were also avid snowboarders and cross country skiers but still want a dog that can live in the house and be well balanced say when guests comes over. (We kind of have a revolving door!)

Do you think as long-time husky owners we would be able to handle a husky or malamute? Im just nervous because I know they are a bit of a challenge mentally and wonder if maybe I remember our dogs differently than they were because I was a child and not the pack leader.

Any advice? Im also thinking about asking our trainer friend to come along with us when we do find a breeder so that we can select the right energy as Ceasar puts it Thoughts, get a puppy and start early or rescue an older dog?

What do you think?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is 8 - 10 hours ur not there in a full week or a day?

i think u sound like u cud give a husky / mal a great home so long as they r not alone too much durin day (if its 8/10 hours a week how many hours a day wud it b alone?) the only thing i wud wrry bout it (but if u train them then u needent worry) is the jumpin up at ppl when they come in ur house (Blaze does it alot tho we r tryin 2 stop it) im not very good at givin advice sorry as Blaze is my first sibe

also welcome to the site

Hi and welcome to the site.

I really wouldn't recommend getting one if it's going to be on it's own for 8 - 10 hours a day. Huskies / mals are pack animals and need mental stimulation...and will also need to go to the toilet. If you didn't crate them you're house would be torn to shreds in seconds

It's such a shame though as you seem so ready to take one on :(

We do have a crate and were wondering about that too. If they were left in a crate with chew toys, food and water would that be ok? When we had ours we had them outside in a dog run until we got home from school and then it was go go go.

Seriously! After growing up with Huskies, my heart will always belong to them and I kind of run the philosophy that a house is not a home without a dog. I just want to make sure we find the right dog for our situation...

I am a stay at home mom and to be honest if I leave to go on errands for 3 or 4 hours he is fine in the crate but I never have left him that many hours in a day alone . They have terrible separation anxiety. But Huskies are the best dog in the world and they make the best friends in the world too. Welcome to the site and good luck in your choice

We ARE in the process of building our yard. (Not finished) and had visioned the shaded side between houses as a run. Our summers aren't that hot but the winters are cold. No problems there!

Of course ours growing up had to have a roof on it cause Dawson could climb out! Oh the decisions! Thanks for all of your advice. Of course it only confirmed my fear that us working full-time away from the house is the one thing that would stop us from owning a husky. I don't know what to do.

hello, welcome to the site :)

would he/she be on their own for that long every day? If yes and you would be keeping him/her in a crate them I would say dont get a sibe or mal as they both need alot of exercise and dont do very well being in a crate all day every day. However if you were able to pop home with him/her for a while during the day or organise a dog walker/sitter to pop over each day to walk them and let them out and play with them, you may be alright. I would advise on the outside run area though.

I will be honest we have 3 sibes and running our own business can lead to them being left on their own for long periods but we also pop home on these days to let them out for the toilet and play with them for a while thoughout the day.

Thanks! I think this is what I needed to hear. And again this is why I wanted to open it up to this forum to get advice from seasoned owners. I still don't know if we'll end up with a Husky but 8-10 hours a day is an issue we've had since we began thinking about any kind of dog.

I have to agree with Sarah. I don't think a husky is a good fit at this time. Eight to ten hours a day is too long a time for any dog to be crated, IMHO.

I'm also concerned as you state you rehomed a dog recently. Don't get me wrong, I admire those who rehome when they can no longer provide what the dog needs. I'm just afraid you could be setting yourself up for another rehoming issue.

Please check out this link before making this decision:

http://www.bayareasiberian.org/pdf/S...ual9-25-02.pdf

It has some great information for Siberian owners and those thinking about getting one.

well the rehoming wasn't our decision. Long story short, we rescued her, she was pregnant and they didnt' tell us. So we cared for the puppies and her and when it was time to give a way the puppies, the rescue shelter gave HER AWAY TOO! So we kind of got the short end of the stick twice. Ugh! I don't know. I just don't know what to do. Sit and think. That's all.

awww poor thing can't believe they didn't tell you.

Have you though about paying someone to walk them for you while you're out? Dog walkers near me charge about 8 - 10 per hour and feed and water them if needs be (sorry, not sure what that converts to)

May be another idea for you to ponder over ??

That is too bad. I'm sorry that the shelter put you through that.

Here's another way to that link. Click on the following and there's a link to the pdf from there....

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1790

And you're doing the right thing by doing research, asking questions, and joining the forum!

here is a thought. It has worked for us...how about two dogs??? Maddie and Mugs are left alone about once a week for 7 hours and three times a week for 3 hours. The can go in and out of the garage (not the house lol) and have a nice large fenced in yard in which to play and dig (in the case of Maddie). If you decide to go the outdoor run route, I would suggest that it be fairly good size with 6 foot fencing and concrete re-enforced bottom, as huskies are known to be professional excavators. I think having two dogs would alleviate the husky separation anxiety. It may be a good time to get an older dog (one that is trained) if you are going to get a husky puppy. Mugs is teaching Maddie very good manners. He was a feral dog when I got him and my now deceased husky mix taught him the household rules.

Good luck with your decision. I just think having one dog, especially a husky, being home for a long stretch may lead to problems down the road.