Head Shy and Timid

Hi Guys

Nanook is over 6 months old now but is still really head shy and timid with strangers, myself and my partner can stroke his head without a problem and get cuddles etc etc but he does not seem to trust many other people... as soon as someone goes to stroke him he pulls away quickly and sometimes opens his mouth (doesnt snap) but issues a little warning which sometimes scares people

He has been to puppy class etc (he is the same there) he lets people give him a treat when they stroke him but soon as he has ate it he again pulls away quickly as if he is scared...

I would love it for him to be a bit more trusting to people as people sometimes think he is a little visous becuase they dont understand...

My dad goes down to his level, plays with him and lets Nanook have a chew of his hand which he loves doing and sometimes lets him stroke him but if he sees him in the street he is still very wary about letting him stroke him and agian pulls away

Im a little worried that he may not grow out of this and one day snap and just catch somebody, any advice is much appreciated and is this common or not......

Ive had him from 8 weeks and Im sure he has not had a bad experience with anyone

Thanks

Steve

this is how sisko has been , but she is improving , dosen't do the snappy thing now as i give people treats to give to her when we meet them. she loves kids but still a bit shy , not keen with having her head touched by strangers either but has been like this since 5 weeks old. she will go up most people now but some folks she won't let them stroke her & pulls away. she is improving alot lately though with the greet / treat way with peaple.

i get this with my 4yr old Nikita.... she wont snap or show teeth but is very very head shy.... she has got better in last 8 months and now will let me touch her but will duck her head into her paws... as if she is protecting herself from and poss harm...

def not from me but i dont know what happened to her before she came to me...

I was surpirsed with Beauty on Sunday - as she is normally wary of people and other dogs getting in her face! She never used to be until another dog attacked her and bit her face - leaving several puncture wounds! But in my case getting Isis has helped her come out of this as she is now becoming less wary of people and other dogs!

Perserverance is the key - i think!