Old camera question

ok so finally got my step dads SLR (?) camera working and the film already in got ruined to light exposure. Loaded the next one and tried to get it developed and that was also ruined by light exposure :blink:

Thing is to load the film you have to pull a small amount of the film out so you can load it into the camera properly and it wont wind itself without it. That was how I did it and it ruined the film :( does anyone know how to load the film properly without exposing the film to light?

Thanks xx

My old SLR camera bag had 2 zips one on each side of the bag.

they opened to elasticated sleeves inside the bag so you could open your camera

and change film, wind back for double exposures etc.

very helpful.

your problem sounds like there is some light seepage into the camera.

One, it could be the shutter is not closing fully after the shot has been taken

two, it could be the back film loading door is not fully shut / sealed.

thanks everyone. I think finding a really dark room is going to be the solution. I think the camera may have broken though as my step dad said it should wind the film back in once its finished and it isn't so I tried keeping the door closed and it just snapped the film when I tried to wind it in, only winds in when the back is opened so dark room may work. wasted two films today :( going to give one last try using dark room to wind it in and if it doesnt work going to save pennies for a bridge camera Ive seen :)

Ah, ok.

If you've had top open the back to rewind the film that would expose the film to light and trash the images. blink.gif

Yeah, save for the Bridge. biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, I've not been online much.

If the whole film is ruined then there is light seepage somewhere in the camera. Once the back is shut a camera should be light proof .

To load a film, open the back and feed a small amount of the film onto the spindle. Wind the film on and press the shutter as if you are taking a shot. Load the film canister in the left hand slot and close the back. Wind on and take about 3-4 shots. The shot counter is calibrated to ignore these. Keep winding and shooting till your shot guide reads 0.

You should now be able to take pictures. If you get blank pictures then light is seeping in from somewhere and the camera needs a service.

What make and model is it?

• 1 month later...

There might be a light leak in the camera somwhere :/ make sure your lens is attached properly. You could also get a dark tent perhaps to change the film in. I know at work people bring their cameras to us and we will put it in inside our dark tent sometimes so you could try and find a place that will do that for you just to make sure that it could be a light leak.