4 Dog Setter Team

I thought I'd share some photos of our dogs mushing :D

Banan is 11 months old and has started his mushing training. He was taught his commands from an early age so once he was put on the team he was familiar with the commands. Canicross is a great way to train leaders and we've used it to train everyone of our dogs.

5aglti.jpg

33k5207.jpg

mmznld.jpg

d8tgl.jpg

4AB2F2418B734E6EA4D2BEE8CC651646-0000323305-0002282012-00640L-4F5F59E1798D4B378A6F156BD0F6B873.jpg

2vmiln7.jpg

2rnhmza.jpg

2ewllhl.jpg

f0qb93.jpg

Rita, its lovely to see the red and white setter in your team. I saw a program on Animal Planet about them being close to extinction at one time, so its really great to see one on our Forum :) I hope I have got this correct and not getting mixed up with the breeds :)

see im 31 and i still lern something everyday lol

setters link

I've been doing alot of research on how far back Irish Setters have been mushing. I've come across a few mentions of the breed in Mushing.com magazine aswell.

This guy is running 14 with a cart...boy is he brave :lol:http://smythirishsetters.com/dogsledding.html

Rita, its lovely to see the red and white setter in your team. I saw a program on Animal Planet about them being close to extinction at one time, so its really great to see one on our Forum :) I hope I have got this correct and not getting mixed up with the breeds :)

Yes they were nearly wiped out the Red Setter overtook the Red and White in popularity. This was in some part in the 1880's to the rising fashion for the red dog in the United States, and a continuing demand for red dogs in Ireland, for which good prices could be obtained. Consequently, the breed came close to extinction. Thanks to the efforts of an early 20th century by a Northern Ireland Clergyman the breed survived but only in small numbers in the island of Ireland. From around 1970 there was a planned revival of the breed, and the numbers began to increase slowly. By the 1980s IRWS were being imported into Great Britain, where the breed was developed more as a show dog. In contrast to these British IRWS, the breed has continued to be primarily a working and field trial dog in Ireland