Anyone got any advice / thoughts?

cas

Does anyone have one or know of someone that has an Alaskan Klee Kai breed of dog. I met two at the weekend and at first from a distance thought they were husky puppies. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this breed of dog at all? Thanks, x

Never heard of them :unsure:

Me neither until the weekend. They were beautiful and even up close they looked liked husky pups. They can be toy, miniature and standard in size but don't grow taller than 17 inches in height in general.

they are actually part of the malamute family, an ancient breed really, dating at least 2000 years back, basically a dwarf malamute as the heavy bone structure displays

Er ......... No they are a very recent "designer" breed. This is the Wikipedia entry

History

The breed was developed in Wasilla, Alaska, during the mid-1970s by Linda S. Spurlin after she observed the result of an accidental mating of an Alaskan Husky and an unknown small dog. The breed was developed with Siberian and Alaskan Huskies using Schipperke and American Eskimo Dogto bring down the size without dwarfism. She bred these dogs in private until she released them to the general public in 1988. Originally called the "Klee Kai", the breed split into "Alaskan Klee Kai" and "Klee Kai" for political reasons in 1995. The breed consolidated under the new name in 2002. The Alaskan Klee Kai was officially recognized by the American Rare Breed Association (ARBA) in 1995 and by the United Kennel Club (UKC) on January 1, 1997.

I have met a few and they have all been yappy and aggressive. Of course they may not all be like this as crossbreeds rarely breed true. To me they looked like Chihouhahas with husky markings - horrible little things! (JMHO)

They are not AKC or KC recognised and are unlikely to be so for a considerable time - if ever.

Mick