Clean you Computer - Lesson 1

Marc

Although I know there are some of you on here who are quite good with computer related stuff, I am also aware that there are others who are not. So I thought it would be a nice idea for me to add a quide to cleaning up your computer for those who wouldnt really know where to even start. So here goes my first instalment of cleaning up your computer. I will be doing a few of these threads so keep your eye out for more comp cleaning tips.

First thing well do is download a program that will free up some space on your drives and clean up bits around your computer and registry. Download the program from the following link and install. When installing you will face an option that allows you to choose whether to attach it to your recycle bin. Let the program do this as it allows quick access to the application (I will use this in the example).

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Now we have the program installed, right click on your recycle bin and you will see 2 new options. One to run CCleaner, and one to Open CCleaner. For use this time click on open CCleaner.

Now you will see the following screen in front of you.

cleaner1.jpg

First click on Analize which will have a look through your system to see what it can free up. This may take a while if you very rarely do any maintenance on your comp. Before you do so however, if you dont want to remove your cookies and history from your browser (although I always do) then untick the boxes next to the browser you are using.

Once it is done you will see something similar to the below, which will tell you how much space you can gain back.

cleaner2.jpg

Click on the Run Cleaner button to clear up these files, again this make take a short while depending on how much it is clearing up. You will get a screen telling you that the cleaning is complete

cleaner3.jpg

So now we have cleaned up your files, lets go and clean up the registry. Click on the registry button on the left, and you will get the following screen.

cleaner4.jpg

When we go through this process you will be asked if you want to create a backup of your registry files. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS ... Apologies for the caps, but its important. If something goes wrong, at least it can be fixed if you do this.

Again we will be running through a similar process of Analise, then running the registry cleaner. First click on Analise to see what you can clean up, you should get something to the below (obviously with different results)

cleaner5.jpg

Once this is done, you can now click on run to clean the registry.

Thats it .. You have now cleared up some stuff on your comp.

cleaner6.jpg

Thats not all you can do to make your computer squeaky clean...But thats for another thread ;)