Marley showing his position as alpha?

I have had to pause Lion King 2 to post this before I forget again.

Today when I took Gizmo out we saw a small-medium sized dog (sorry I cant remember the breed name at the moment) a little smaller than Gizmo is. He and gizmo got along brilliantly and were playing with each other (as normal, the other dog wasnt on a lead) which was great. I was on my way back home with Gizmo when we met the other dog. We let them play for a while whilst we were chatting and then continued on our way. I got back had a quick 5 min rest to have drink etc refill poop bags too and all that then I took Marley and Bandit out together. On our way to Delph Woods (about 1/2 mile away from our house) we saw the very same dog that was playing with Gizmo but it was like the dog had completely changed! When he met Gizmo he came up to us nice and calmly and friendly and this time with Marley and Bandit he actually came charging towards us :confused: barking and snarling his teeth at them! Both Marley and Bandit just stood still and as the dog a little closer I saw Marley's stance get more into a dominant pose. The dog then charged straight at Bandit trying to go for his throat :eek: until Mr pack leader and also loving brother Marley came into the picture. As soon as the dog went for Bandit, Marely threw all he had at the other dog and got him off Bandit and then Marley put himslef between the other dog and Bandit and everytime the other dog went to go at Bandit, Marley stood his ground and went for the other dog. So, what next, the other dog decided to go for Marley, not a good idea, and then they both started to fight. BTW the other dog was still not on a lead and when the fight started his owner started running calling him to stop but didnt work. Bandit hid behind my legs and I got Marley by the scruff trying to pin him down, hoping that by pinning Marley down (which usually calms him/makes him stop) that the other dog would stop, but I had no luck - Marley was not going to back down at all and the otehr dog just kept going and going for him! So, whilst trying to keep Bandit under control to, I got hold of both Marley's and the other dog's scruff and literally had to force them apart!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even after that they were still trying!!!! Eventually the other dogs owner got to us and took her dog away with a very embarrised look on her face :o. She did appologise, thank god otherwise I would have been having words with her. I checked Bandit and Marley over for any scars/cuts and they were fine and I asked her if her dog was fine and he was too. I didnt really say much apart from appologise for Marley going at her dog like that and made sure her dog was ok and she did the same. Then before anything else broke out again we went our own ways and I got back into the walk with Marley and Bandit.

Luckily no harm was done, but just thought I would share this with you all. I dont know if Marley would be doing the right or wrong here as the other dog started it and, yes, should've been on a lead but I also think that Marley should have shown his dominance but not actually challenged the other dog. Then when I look at it another way I then think, well Marley is alpha now so being alpha he is responsible for protecting his pack which, in my eyes, isnt wrong. Im confused, what do you guys think, was Marley a good boy or was he a bad boy?

BTW: I got some great pics and vids of them on walks today but cant upload them yet as this lapot dont have SD card slot and the link cable is at work :rolleyes: will upload them tomorrow hopefully.

Right Im going back to watch Lion King 2 now, be back on later :)

hi amy sounds like hes just bein a good alpha and protecting his pack 2 me i dunno im not very good wit that stuff not had 2 deal wit it myself yet i wonder y he started (poor bandit doesnt have much luck does he) maybe he was also a dominate dog and felt in a way that he had 2 state this to bandit and marley wish i knew tho

hi amy sounds like hes just bein a good alpha and protecting his pack 2 me i dunno im not very good wit that stuff not had 2 deal wit it myself yet i wonder y he started (poor bandit doesnt have much luck does he) maybe he was also a dominate dog and felt in a way that he had 2 state this to bandit and marley wish i knew tho

It always seems to be Bandit, my poor baby! Think it must be because the other dogs can probably tell. At least Marley was there to protect him this time, its usually when hes on his own.

I wouldn't say it was bad but I wouldn't say it was good either - Marley probably felt challenged by the other dog coming over to another of his pack members. I don't mind my dogs telling others to back off but I wouldn't want them to take it further than needed either. Dog fights are horrible and I'm so glad none of the dogs were hurt!

I wouldn't waste time trying to pin Marley down, if he was trying to protect himself from this dog that would just make him feel more open and threatened (I wouldn't want to lie down if someone was trying to fight me either, it goes against our fight or flight instinct!) and as the pack leader it is up to us to protect our dogs from others. If I am in this situation I try and stand between my dogs and the other dog, I am the alpha so I take charge and tell it to back off. I would kick it away if I had to!

If you want to separate fighting dogs the best and safest way to do it (and it's not always possible if you are on your own) is to get you and the other owner to pull the dogs apart at the same time. Use the 'wheel barrow' method and pick the dogs up by their back legs and pull them back wards at the same time. Put them on leads and move them as far away from each other as possible. This stops them fighting and reduces the risk that you will get bitten in the process. Never try and grab a dog in a fight by it's collar as you might get bitten doing some, either by the other dog or your dog's redirected aggression.

If you want to separate fighting dogs the best and safest way to do it (and it's not always possible if you are on your own) is to get you and the other owner to pull the dogs apart at the same time. Use the 'wheel barrow' method and pick the dogs up by their back legs and pull them back wards at the same time. Put them on leads and move them as far away from each other as possible. This stops them fighting and reduces the risk that you will get bitten in the process. Never try and grab a dog in a fight by it's collar as you might get bitten doing some, either by the other dog or your dog's redirected aggression.

:o I completely forgot about doing that :o

Thanks bec :)

yeah alaska does this, she is very sparky with those little pesky dogs that yap all the time, she never fights them but gives them signals to back off, but a few weeks ago there was a 7month old pit/staff who charged at her and there was a dog fight >> it was horrible but in the end alaska was on top and the boys had to pull her off, it's not good for a dog to get into fights all the time, it can make them anxious and start the fights as they believe the other dog will attack them!