A Dog charged us!!

Leanne

If a dog runs over 2 me when i'm walking my dog does my dog class this a charge??

I was out running Saskia yest on my bike, we got 2 the field & this man was playing fetch with his dog (the dog was off the lead), the dog took 1 look at us & come running over 2 us, normally when Sassy's running she ignores all dogs but because this 1 was running over 2 us, Sassy jumped infront of me & i was shouting 2 the owner i looked at the dogs & they were fighting all i sin was spit flying everywhere the owner was calling his dog but the dog wasn't listening Sassy got it 2 the floor then the other dog run off. There was no blood the other dog was fine.

This is not the 1st dog that has charged us, every charge Sassy has pinned the dog 2 the floor by it's neck but there has never been any blood, so does this make it dominant issue or was Sassy just protecting me & herself? Or is it just that dog didnt respect our space so Sassy had 2 do something about it?? If the other dog runs away does this mean my dog won the fight??

Should i have disiplined her 4 doing this or is this jst a dogs natural behaviour? If so what would u suggest i do if another dog charges us?

If my dog had of hurt his dog who would have been responsible 4 the attack?

All this has now knocked my confidence again we was ok walking this morning but didnt bump in2 any dogs, it's makin me re-think whether i should attend the husky meet up! I really want my dogs socialized but not sure if i can trust them as i dont know if they were socialized properly as puppies!

Any kind of help or tips would be very much appreicated (sorry i'm a crap speller lol) :P

Just to clarify this in my own mind:

- You had Saskia running along with you on a bike

- Saskia was on the leash

- The other dog was off the leash and rushed at Saskia

- They got in a fight and Saskia pinned the other dog to the ground

IMO she is not protecting you but she is protecting herself. I would be defensive too if a stranger ran up to me aggressively. Dogs have a fight or flight response, some dogs try to escape from conflict, others act aggressively to defend themselves.

What was the body language of the other dog like? how does Saskia act towards dogs that don't rush up to her, but approach her calmly?

Just to clarify this in my own mind:

- You had Saskia running along with you on a bike

- Saskia was on the leash

- The other dog was off the leash and rushed at Saskia

- They got in a fight and Saskia pinned the other dog to the ground

IMO she is not protecting you but she is protecting herself. I would be defensive too if a stranger ran up to me aggressively. Dogs have a fight or flight response, some dogs try to escape from conflict, others act aggressively to defend themselves.

What was the body language of the other dog like? how does Saskia act towards dogs that don't rush up to her, but approach her calmly?

Yes thats correct

erm not sure wot the other dogs body language was like...i painic when a dog charges us everytime (i know i shouldn't) but how do u stay calm?? I worry more because Sas slips collars & harnesses!!

I dont normally let dogs approach us, i know it's bad but my 2 act really bad when they see another dog they jump howl & Diesel will bark at them, not sure if it out of excitment or it is aggression, but if they was aggressive wouldn't Sas of ripped that dog up???

I havent had them since they was puppies so i was very unsure of what they'd b like with other dogs, my friend has 2 husky pups & they all get on fine. My brother has a staff & she gets on with Diesel but not Saskia the 1st meetin was face 2 face & Sas snapped at her so now they only walk 2geva not play!

Sas got off the lead once when a dog charged us she chased the dog & ended up playing with it on the field, luckly i got her back!!

Sas gets on with my auntie's german shepard fine but Diesel goes mad when he see's him he barks like mad!Iv also notice Diesel barks more at male dogs!!

So i'm very confussed!!

Please help!!

OMG Thats terrible, hope Sas is ok!!!!

Bandit had a little dog attack him a while ago and the darn owners was in no rush to come over and get their dog so I pinned it on the floor and they got arsey with me and I ended up having an argument with them!!!!

Can't stand it when people have their dogs off the lead when they clearly shouldnt be trusted off leash!!!!

id agree with the others sounds like shes protecting herself!

Still think you should come to the meet up though - try getting some calm dog to appraoch her (if you know anyone with a calm dog) - our GSD is usually calm and if i remember rightly you only live down the road from me!

OMG Thats terrible, hope Sas is ok!!!!

Bandit had a little dog attack him a while ago and the darn owners was in no rush to come over and get their dog so I pinned it on the floor and they got arsey with me and I ended up having an argument with them!!!!

Can't stand it when people have their dogs off the lead when they clearly shouldnt be trusted off leash!!!!

Yeah Sas is fine i checked her all over & no marks or nothing like that

The owner just strolled over 2 us i was shouting & he wasnt bother that his dog had charged my dog no sorry or nothin i was goin mad, he soon took off the field when my mom turned up with Diesel he was going mad & wouldnt calm down 4ages, iv jst got sas 2 ingore other dogs when were walking as well so now all my hard work has led 2 nothing but still i am carrying on as normal trying 2 think postive, have took her out twice 2day but we didn't see any dogs!

id agree with the others sounds like shes protecting herself!

Still think you should come to the meet up though - try getting some calm dog to appraoch her (if you know anyone with a calm dog) - our GSD is usually calm and if i remember rightly you only live down the road from me!

No i dont know any calm dogs me & my aunt laugh that if Ceaser Millian came 2 england he could do my whole street lol

Sas dont go mad at GSD i think it's because my aunt's was 1 of her 1st friends when she came & lived with us, we have 2 others with GSD on the estate although they haven't met sas doesnt go mad she doesnt howl or pull me 2wards them so i dont think she see's them as a threat!

I think if i come 2 the husky meet i will hav 2 walk at the back lol, suppose it's worth coming just 2 see how they will react

Yeah Sas is fine i checked her all over & no marks or nothing like that

The owner just strolled over 2 us i was shouting & he wasnt bother that his dog had charged my dog no sorry or nothin i was goin mad, he soon took off the field when my mom turned up with Diesel he was going mad & wouldnt calm down 4ages, iv jst got sas 2 ingore other dogs when were walking as well so now all my hard work has led 2 nothing but still i am carrying on as normal trying 2 think postive, have took her out twice 2day but we didn't see any dogs!

Ive had loads of arguments with people like this, and still they dont seem worried about what their dogs do! Its sad to think that people dont understand this is not 'normal' doggy behaviour as they are social animals, and shouldn't be attacking and charging other dogs - but unfortunately they allow the dogs behaviour to continue and dont do anything about it.

Poor dogs, they deserve better!

sad to hear that this happend.. i have talked with some well known husky breeders and owners over here and i would always keep an eye out for off leash dogs when your out. Northern breeds like the husky aparently smell wild to other domesticated dogs.

i have personaly seen a very well trained black lab run 2 football field lengths to attack my friends malamute.. which is 130lbs and by no means did anything to start that. im not saying all dogs are like this but just becareful around other non northern breeds if meeting for the first time

i have no idea what i would do if this ever happend to Suka.. just hope it doesnt