How to control and prevent flees

Fleas are a constant problem to many pet owners. For every flea you see on your pet there could be hundreds more that you can't see. A female flea can lay 50 eggs per day!

Fleas love the warm temperatures and humidity of spring but are also content with living in our homes when it's cold outside.

Monthly preventative treatment is always recommended by vets and treatment is normally applied to the back of the neck via a pippet (oral medication can also be used)

Treating regularly will also prevent parasites caused by fleas such as tapeworms.

Don't forget as well, some pets can be allergic to the flea bites!

always consult your vet before buying a product to use on your pet, the same as you would consult a doctor before giving your child a medicine.

As well as treating your pet(s) you also need to ensure that you hoover EVERYWHERE, next to skirting boards, the sofa, chairs, rugs etc. Fleas can get ANYWHERE and love warm dark places.

My kids did not do well on any of the conventional methods... specially Frontline!(they developed bad allergy to them) ... Now we use an oral prevention med that works like a charm!... no mess, no worry about keeping them appart while it dries... one pill down the hatch and it's done!!!!

Sandy

great thread Sarah - added to rep :)

We currently use Frontline monthly spot on at the moment but due to us going to the forest we are looking at getting one which apparently acts as a wormer and prevents mites (i.e. fox mite) aswell. It a 3 monthly one and is a spot on too. It does cost a fair bit more but using that (soz, can't remember what its called) would mean we wouldnt need to get extra to prevent the mites and wouldnt need to worry about worming tablets.

I use K9 Advantix due to the mosquito's in our area, I just switched the heartworm meds from Heartgard plus to Tri heart plus which is essentially the same med just the generic version at a huge discount.

Heartgard plus is $11.99 a pill for each dog, and Tri Heart plus is $4.99 a pill for each dog. {I spoke with the vet about it, and she said they actually carry the Tri heart Plus, I had no idea, anyway just thought I would share}

• 1 month later...

I'm not a huge fan of the chemical flea and tick products. But I do understand the need for them, especially in places where there is an abundance of these pests. I like to search for herbal remedies for most things I can help prevent. I found a little article I bookmarked that lists a few natural alternatives to preventing fleas and ticks. http://www.gomestic.com/Pets/Natural-Flea-and-Tick-Repellent-for-Dogs.694111 I've been following this since last summer and it's been working great. Keep in mind we do go out often to parks and hiking trails. Even if it isn't 100% effective, the general health of my dog has improved.