iPhone trouble

MattSouthall

I've been very successful today and jailbroken it (yes! :D) but how do you unlock them to any network :blink: a shop said to me they'd jailbreak it for £20 and then unlock it for another £20 (so i thought get stuffed)

So i managed to jailbreak it free, but how can i unlock it, any iPhone experts :D, I;ve had a look on youtube tutorials, and google, but doesn't help that much they all just say "hey, give me your credit card details, we wont use them (wink wink)"

So any ideas???

yeah a jailbroken phone is unlocking it.....

you shouldnt have to do anythiing else to it

although when you update the software you will have to jailbreak it again....

and you will have to update it..........................mine used to freeze if it wasnt updated

and you will have to update it..........................mine used to freeze if it wasnt updated

hmm that's odd, because i'm with orange (and the t-mobile deal thing) and i just tried to connect to vodaphone and it wouldn't let me?

i think jailbreak is when it unlocks the phone for 3rd party apps, but it doesnt unlock the network you have to use an app like RedSn0w to access the file system, then download the iphone firmware for your version of iPhone, connect to itunes and then restore your phone through that using RedSn0w and the firmware you download. you also have to use Cydia and UltraSnow.

jailbreaking isnt unlocking

jailbreaking installs cydia thich then allows you to get aps from a different source.

once cydia is installed you can then do neumerous things.

unlocking depends on what version your modem firmware in your phone is (not what version of the iphone os), and what iphone it is. you need to know what you are doing.

i would pay the 20 and get it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Ultrasnow is the app to use. install it through cydia

If you are on O2 they will unlock it free of charge. There is a link on the website.

Other networks I don't know.

Redsnow is what you want but the unlock is dependent on the baseband version you are running. Not all basebands can be unlocked, some require a custom ios update.

To find your baseband look in the settings menus.

Jailbreaking my iPhone was the best thing I have done. Some of the apps are just great and I now have my custom SMS tone and email tone working how all my other phones were.

My personal top jailbreak apps are:

BiteSMS

Lockinfo

Mcleaner

Winterboard

MyWi

If you are on O2 they will unlock it free of charge. There is a link on the website.

Other networks I don't know.

Redsnow is what you want but the unlock is dependent on the baseband version you are running. Not all basebands can be unlocked, some require a custom ios update.

To find your baseband look in the settings menus.

Jailbreaking my iPhone was the best thing I have done. Some of the apps are just great and I now have my custom SMS tone and email tone working how all my other phones were.

My personal top jailbreak apps are:

BiteSMS

Lockinfo

Mcleaner

Winterboard

MyWi

Thanks, im on Ios 4.2.1 or something like that with modem firmware 05.15.04 and i jailbroke it with greenpois0n ( i don't know much about cidyia) I've never really understood there app store or what it really doesn't, just know i need to jailbreak, to unlock it (and i'm on orange :D) , but yeah thanks anyways :D

Edit: or tethered or untethered jailbreak??

From what I can gather your baseband is unlockable. The only way to unlock it is to upgrade it to the iPad 06.15.00 baseband. This however carries some risks. Many people are reporting losing their GPS signals. There is currently no way to downgrade the baseband once changed.

If you are really that desperate to unlock your iPhone and you are more than 3 months into your contract with Orange, I would seriously consider just giving them a call, pay your £20 and have it unlocked by them.

Thanks, im on Ios 4.2.1 or something like that with modem firmware 05.15.04 and i jailbroke it with greenpois0n ( i don't know much about cidyia) I've never really understood there app store or what it really doesn't, just know i need to jailbreak, to unlock it (and i'm on orange :D) , but yeah thanks anyways :D

Edit: or tethered or untethered jailbreak??

tethered means when you reboot the phone (switch the power off and back on) it goes back to being un jailbroken.

un tethered means you can reboot and it remains jailbroken.

i go for un tethered personally