Boys held over 'shocking' attack

Boys held over 'shocking' attack

Local resident Lisa Meehan describes the injuries to the younger victim

Police are questioning two children after an attack that left one boy with life-threatening injuries and another "cut from head to toe".

Officers have been given more time to question the two after an 11-year-old victim was found with head injuries in a ravine near Doncaster.

His nine-year-old friend was found bleeding from knife wounds in a nearby street and has had surgery to his arm.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said it was "clearly a shocking incident".

Mr Brown said he would be "following the case very closely".

Magistrates granted South Yorkshire Police an extra 36 hours to question the two arrested boys, aged 10 and 11.

A Downing Street spokesman said that Prime Minister Gordon Brown had cautioned against drawing any wider conclusions about the state of society.

"In his view, the overwhelming majority are well-behaved and have good upbringings, and therefore he would be cautious about reaching any general conclusion about what is a disturbing but singular event," the spokesman added.

Local residents told BBC News they believed the two victims had been hit with a brick, slashed with a knife and burned with cigarettes in the Brick Ponds area of Edlington on Saturday.

all i can say is what the hell.... i know i was a terror when a kid but at that age i would't have dreamt of doing something to some one like this...

what has this world come to ???

its terrible....only about 40 mins from us too......time for parents to learn how to disipline their kids........and provide them with interests and entertainment so they arent roaming the streets alone acting so appaullingly

I think they should bring back the old fashioned disipline methods for children that behave like this.

I think they should bring back the old fashioned disipline methods for children that behave like this.

IMO, If the right to discipline our children had been left to parents in the first place, this may not have happened at all. Too often the "spare the rod, spoil the child" approach has been interpreted to be child abuse - which in some cases, was.

IMO, If the right to discipline our children had been left to parents in the first place, this may not have happened at all. Too often the "spare the rod, spoil the child" approach has been interpreted to be child abuse - which in some cases, was.

very true. My family is perfect example! I had more than my fair share of beatings :( and wouldnt think twice of commiting something like this and the same with my younger brother, Daniel but my youngest brother Nathan is spoilt rotten and gets away with everything and someone else has to take the blame - see the pattern here?

very true. My family is perfect example! I had more than my fair share of beatings :( and wouldnt think twice of commiting something like this and the same with my younger brother, Daniel but my youngest brother Nathan is spoilt rotten and gets away with everything and someone else has to take the blame - see the pattern here?

i no how u feel amy my oldest brother cud get away wit murder b4 he moved out n curtis is the 'angel child' so me and nay get they brunt ov my dads moods more that any1 (he dont hit us but some ov his verbal comments cud hurt a hell ov alot more)

There is a great difference in discipline and beating. I'm sorry you went through that. I was fortunate in that respect. My father had this look in his eye and if you got 'the look' you knew you were too close to the line. But I don't ever recall getting a spanking, though I'm sure I must have...

Its the same with laws. So many (adults and children) get off without proper punishment, they don't even consider that they might be held responsible for their actions. That's why things like this happen, and it scares me to death.

Yes, I've seen the pattern - unfortunately.

i no how u feel amy my oldest brother cud get away wit murder b4 he moved out n curtis is the 'angel child' so me and nay get they brunt ov my dads moods more that any1 (he dont hit us but some ov his verbal comments cud hurt a hell ov alot more)

verbal comments !!! i would love to have got just them... i had what could amount to a very brutall upbringing at the hands of my step father and older brother. hence why i don't talk to either now.

maybe thats why i went off the rails in my teens etc to rebel ??