Tame Fox?

Has anyone owned/know anyone who owned a pet fox? I have always loved them and I heard that if you bond with the fox when it's a baby they can be a great pet, it doesn't help that they're so cute!

Obviously I wouldn't get one any time soon, wouldn't even consider it until I'm owning my own home but it doesn't help when they're a Fennec Fox breeder in the next town over :lol::unsure:

but how cute is he/?!?!?!

Nl61sWrFgRk&feature=related

there used to be a man where we lived (befor we moved) that used to wallk a fox at night as a pet. i know we have had some fox mulings on babes n people in the uk. not sure about all the info on them and not sure why they were in the houses but heard about it..also very cute, but probly not when they waling like a banshee..lmao..... think id perfer to leave the fox int he wild than have as a pet..... is it a comon pet whe you are then?

Jen, A fox is a fox. It's a wild animal and as Jemmer says there has been cases in England of foxes wandering into peoples houses and mauling babies.

My link I know it's different in America as a lot of people have strange pets but is it worth the risk with Zoey and Embry? Plus what about your little sister? I'm just not sure you can trust a fox even as much as a dog and I never leave my kids and dog together. I'm only saying this coz you are my friend and you posted this for advice and opinions, so I am giving you mine. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

My link I know it's different in America as a lot of people have strange pets but is it worth the risk with Zoey and Embry? Plus what about your little sister? I'm just not sure you can trust a fox even as much as a dog and I never leave my kids and dog together. I'm only saying this coz you are my friend and you posted this for advice and opinions, so I am giving you mine. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would never risk any of that. I was just curious if anyone here has ever experienced living with one :)

Tbh the fox mauling the baby, theres more to that story then been told.. The excuse it was an "urban" fox is a load of crap. I live approx. 2 miles from that incident and all the foxes around here are terrified of humans, when a human is in sight they run. I understand that even having one from a puppy, it will still have the instincs etc, but there not all the same take Christian the Lion for example :)

You can keep red foxes as pets and I know several people who have them as well as other breeds of fox.

I myself am interested in getting a red fox in the spring (I have a pet raccoon too). They do make very good pets as they are now domesticated as have been bred for many generations as pets they are just not common. Red foxes here in the UK are about £3-400.

You can get amazingly gorgeous silver foxes from a lab in Russia as pets but they are sooooo expensive like £3000 to get them imported. They were initially bred to investigate the domestication process over many many years and now they sell the young cubs as pets as they are that silly tame and are very similar to dogs with a little cat thrown in to. Canids generally make very good pets but like anything else they have to be looked after properly.

Tbh the fox mauling the baby, theres more to that story then been told.. The excuse it was an "urban" fox is a load of crap. I live approx. 2 miles from that incident and all the foxes around here are terrified of humans, when a human is in sight they run. I understand that even having one from a puppy, it will still have the instincs etc, but there not all the same take Christian the Lion for example :)

Fox's where i live just look at you and walk off casually, but saying that it was about 5 years ago not seem many now.

I would just be really careful about state laws and vaccinations. And the fact that a fox will still be a fox, not a domesticated animal like a dog.

Was there any information on the foxes that were attacking people being rabid? Foxes are normally so shy, but I saw a video once of a fox with rabies and man was it creepy.

God think of the house breaking as well, a friend took his dog out walking with us a few years back and it was rolling around in some leaves and stuff; when we were walking we thought we smelled something and it wasn't until we got back tot he house that my friend realised the dog had rolled in fox poo.

I don't know exactly what a decaying monkey corpse smells like, but it might have been close to this stench!

I was looking into Fennecs last year but after months of research and talking to breeders decided they are just not a good pet. Alot of states have strict exotic pet rules to and they aren't allowed here in Washington same with the silver, red and pretty much any fox. I would get in touch with some breeders and ask them questions and see if they would work for you when you get your house. They are very cute and entertaining but taking them outside is like a husky you would never let them off leash from what I understand they are still not domesticated enough here for that. At least that's what I've found so far.

The muskiness is only released if they were scared...similar to a skunk I guess.

They can mark in the same way a dog would but as mentioned above neutering would help along with training.

But please they ARE domesticated.....they have been bred as pets for years now. Different if you were to take a fox cub from wild parents. But bought from a breeder it is likely that for at least 8-10 generations it will be captive bred.

I've seen the domesticated study the others are talking about, and it was pretty interesting. (If not sad, since the foxes were kept in little metal cages).

As for owning one as a pet, just like owning an African Grey Parrot, which I do, they are wild animals and at times will still do what they want to do lol.

As for the one in the video, he looks stir crazy. Running in circles and bouncing into the window unsure.gif

• 6 months later...

hi there i have a orphan red fox i have raised him from around 3 weeks old he and his litter m8s where recued after a friend found the vixen dead the cubs where around a few days old with there eyes still shut i named mine haribo well my kids did but he has done really well as has his litter m8s i walk him on a lesh with a harness and he uses a litter tray like a cat i have him in my house when im in he free roams in garden 2 but when im out he in a large dog crate more for his own saftey as he very mistevious and curiouis little devil but is very loving soon however he will be having a outside pen built where he be housed when im out as the crate is big but not fair to him as he so energetic even though i walk him with my 2 dogs daily but 2 date would say he is a very rewarding animal to keep but you have to be very involved and its more work than a dog but i think its worth it . :)

oh no im sorry i just couldnt have a fox under my roof , last year i was walking home and there was a fox at the bottom of my street , i had to pass it to get to my house .. it stared me out , didnt move one bit ... didnt seem scarred atall , now in the winter you can see them near enough all the time roaming the streets .. there not as scared as they yous to be and i wouldnt trust them around children specially babies ... these are wild animals who have had years of being wild , why try and make them pets? theres anough proper pets in the world to keep us satasfiedd .. there wild animals for a reason x

Even after hearing about people breeding domesticated foxes I think they're best left in the wild. I absolutely love them and there's one I see round my way late at night that I've nicknamed "Mr Urban Foxy" but I would much rather see them as a wild creature than a domestic pet.

Why have a fox when you can have a cat or dog? I can totally understand rescuing a litter if the mum is dead but breeding them just sounds wierd to me. Dogs were trained for specific roles and became man's friend that way, domesticating a fox is just taming its natural instincts, I don't see the purpose other than having a slightly unusual pet that some people will never trust.

Guest Hollow

Personally I wouldn't want one, I imagine they would have all the trates of a needy dog, whilst probably giving as much love as a loner cat, whilst having the ability to be completely and utterly vicious if it wants to be. That's not to say it would, nor am I saying no one should have one, just not for me I don't think and for those reasons.

As for those saying leave it wild, why would you want to domesticate it? etc. where do you think dogs and cats came from exactly? They weren't born domesticated, lol. All dogs come from some form of wolf or other wild dog, and the breeds are simply centuries of breeding in a certain way, to make them what they are today. Some of the breeding methods to get our modern domesticated dogs, weren't exactly humane or fair either. We specifically own a dog breed, that's about as close to a wolf as you can get, hence the incredibly strong prey instinct and the overwhelming independence factor. Same applies to Malamutes and GSDs. GSDs have had many of their wild instincts bred out of them now, hence them being notoriously obedient and intelligent, whilst some of the dogs further down the breeding chain are just plain stupid, this is again mostly down to the breeding process.