Sickle tail

Husky

I haven't read what the Breed Standard in the UK says, but in the US (where I see you also are), it states that the tail should be carried down when the dog is working, although it may be carried up in a sickle when the dog is "in repose" - which I assume is a way of saying "not working," lol! The tail should not be curled to either side or snapped tightly to the back. If you're seeing pictures of dogs who are shown, or are from show or working lines, chances that it isn't curled...

In part, this is a balance thing - the tail is used as a rudder, helping the dog move comfortably and with less effort/more efficiently. It's also to help distinguish the breed from the Alaskan Malamute, the Samoyed, and the Akita, all of which generally have curlier tails and could fairly easily be mistaken for a Siberian by someone not familiar with the breeds...

I haven't read what the Breed Standard in the UK says, but in the US (where I see you also are), it states that the tail should be carried down when the dog is working, although it may be carried up in a sickle when the dog is "in repose" - which I assume is a way of saying "not working," lol! The tail should not be curled to either side or snapped tightly to the back. If you're seeing pictures of dogs who are shown, or are from show or working lines, chances that it isn't curled...

In part, this is a balance thing - the tail is used as a rudder, helping the dog move comfortably and with less effort/more efficiently. It's also to help distinguish the breed from the Alaskan Malamute, the Samoyed, and the Akita, all of which generally have curlier tails and could fairly easily be mistaken for a Siberian by someone not familiar with the breeds...

Thats really interesting Gigi, both of mine have tails that curl to far over and often touch the back (but since their not show dogs this isnt a problem to me)... however when they get into a proper running pace they go into perfect sibe sycle style, they actually vary rarely carry their tails fully down.

When my guys are running around and playing, their tails are up and like a sickle, most of the time, but when in harness and really working (not goofing off!), their tails are trailing out behind them. My guys are out of show stock, and I have shown in the past and want to get back into it, so -- I'm glad! You're right, though, as long as you aren't competing at a show with them, what does it matter? You still love them, and they're VERY worthy of being loved! biggrin.gif