Tricks for food?

Kiana has started this odd behavior over the past two months and I just can't figure out how to address it or if I should address it. When she was a pup I taught her to sit and wait for her food and then would tell her good girl go get it. She usually hopped right up and ate. Suddenly she's decided that she won't eat at all unless I run her through a series of tricks and rewarding her with kibble. Usually four or five tricks and then she'll dive right into her bowl. I'm not really sure what to do with that? Is she just abnormally bored or something else? She won't eat at all unless I do this and she's gone two or more days without food because of it. I didn't worry about it to much as she gets in those no food modes but this is just odd to me. Any thoughts?

awwww bless. storm is a little bit similar. he has to wait and will not go to his bowl until we say so. i think this is respectful (he doenst need to do tricks tho)

if you put it down and say 'go get it' will she? or still wait until she's done her tricks?

I personally wouldnt worry but others may have other opinions. i think what you need to be careful of is this is such a routine that if someone else feeds her (hospital visit, in kennels cos of a holiday etc) then she may become distressed and not eat. perhaps reduce the amount of tricks slowly - 5 tricks, 4 tricks, 2 tricks etc just a thought???

Thanks guys Claire that's why I'm concerned because my roomates feed her when I work late or super early and now she won't eat at all for them unless she does stuff. I've tried staying with the old routine and even taking the food away after an hour but she wont' eat unless I take her through tricks. I never did that before it's just something she seems to have decided on and I worry she won't eat unless I do it. I'm not trying to do that and enforce the idea and I know she's not dumb enough to starve herself but it's just odd to me that she's started this. I dont' know if I somehow started this and didn't realize it? I don't always reward with food after tricks only normally with new ones for a week or so so that they stick with her but after that rewards of food are sporadic when training her. I'm just lost at this lol I will try reducing the tricks and see if that might help thanks for the idea ^_^

I could definitely try switching over to her football which is her current favorite toy and see if that might help I usually teach her something new every 3wks or so I'm trying to keep a good rotation going so she doesn't get bored of them and there's always something fun and new I want to try with her lol I'll try switching off food motivation and see if that changes thanks ^_^

Siku is kind of like that, but not to such an extreme. Sometimes she will show no interest in her food, but will eat it if I start using it as a treat. Usually I'm in too much of a hurry to make her do tricks, so I just take her food away. She will usually eat that night or the next morning without me having to do anything, though. Not days on end like your pup. I just figured she wasn't all that hungry, but will get excited enough to eat if I start making her do things like sit, down, heel, ect.

Awww bless her..........some excellent advice given. I can't be much help as mine barely wait to be given their food, Nikita has mastered the art of catching her own chicken quarter in mid air and, with that still in her mouth, catching Sampson's as well if I don't watch herrolleyes.gif

I'd just say try not to teach her too many new tricks, you would be there a long time if she decided to go through her whole repitoiretongue.giflaugh.gif

She probably won't starve herself...and when she's hungry enough will eat. I wish I could get Jackson to wait. We finally have him able to sit before we put the bowl down, and he'll wait for a treat, but he is from a background of starvation...so is still worried about food...it is better now!