Sudden Aggressive Behaviour

Hey Guys

I know i've been asking for alot of advice lately but it is greatly appreciated. Does anyone of you wonderfull people out there who have more than one husky or dog have this problem:

For the last week, Kia has been snapping at shadow and i dont mean little snaps i mean full on aggressive scrapping Thursday evening Kia had Shadow literally pinned to the floor, it looks and sounds slightly more aggressive than it is but she is really going for her. I'm worried that one of these days something severe is going to happen and shdow is going to get hurt, whats strange is that shadow isn't normally a push over at 6 months old she put and 18month old male husky on his butt with a good right hook of her paw as her was misbehaving and causing a couple of problems with myself and Matt. I'm concerned because shadow isn't full strenght at the moment as some of you may have read in my confussed thread in food and diet. we have noticed that she tends to snap at shadow when there is food containers/food or toys about so we have started removing bowls etc after meals and we dont leave toys out with them unsupervised anyway. shadow has been grumbling alot so we try to stop her from doing that to kia as we thought it might have been jealousy but tonight that doesnt seem to be the case shadow was walking past back to her "spot" for her raw chicken whilst Kia was finishing off her food (bowl was empty she was polishing it) and she went for her, like i said we've had them both now for over two years and never really had this problem before so if any one has any ideas on what it might be and/or how we can stop it it would be greatly appreciated as i dont really want to start feeding them in seperate rooms.

many thanks in advance

Andrea, shadow and Kia

Mmmmm sounds like it could be food agression? Maybe Shadow nicked some food off Kia and you didnt see so thats makeing Kia deffensive around her food??? Do they have crates at all? Mine do and I feed them in there and Nukka will still growel at Shadow through the bars as if to say "dont even THINK it!", I can take stuff off her but shes very defensive towards him. Maybe if you have crates you can feed them in there just to remove the risk while you work with her on the probelm? :)

it could be food or toy aggression, if Kia thinks Shadow is getting too close, it might spark her to show aggression. Could she be taking advantage of Shadow not being 100% & trying her luck in a pack order type of way?

Has it happened at any other time when food has not been there?

I would suggest this is a problem that's been brewing for a while. It definitely sounds like resource guarding.

I would start by feeding the dogs completely separately, not at either ends of the room or next to each other but in crates but in completely separate areas of the house so they can't see each other.

What do you do with each dog when you feed them?

Definitely sounds like food/possession aggression. This a lot like what Nikita does. Whenever she is has a toy or bone Sampson can not walk by the area without her having a go. She does the same with him when eating.

When Nikita is eating and one of us touch her, she will stops eating, keep her head in the bowl, and start growling. Nikita has been like this since she was young and we didn't nip it in the bud then so we deal with it now. After nearly 12 years together Sampson knows what she is like so there are very few times when he gets in a position for her to have a go.

When I feed them outside I stand between them and make sure Nikita doesn't steal Sampson's after she has scoffed her own.

I can not help with how to deal with it, but the advice given above sounds good.

This happened last night at our house also. Both were in their spots while partner was preparing food on the counter. I jokingly tapped Andy on the head and said somebody here would like some chicken, and then Jackson got up to walk over and Andy took him down as if he'd taken the meal out of his mouth. Neither had food or bones or was eating. Jeff bravely reached in grabbing a collar and threw them both across the room, and hollered at them both. Andy slid to his corner and Jackson stood there stunned. Not sure what started it, but today they are loving each other and in fact, Jackson is in Andy's spot under the desk and nobody is arguing....strange behaviors...sometimes we just can't know! Hope all is okay now!

Thanks for all the advise guys,

we feed them together but stand close by so we can stop anything should it start but they dont fight or growl etc when they have food its only after or just before. touch wood nothing has happened recently but kia is listening to shadows grumbles a bit more today and leaving alone when they get louder. will bear the above in mind but like i say it doesnt happen when food is in their bowls as shadow can walk past kia whilst she eats, the last episode occured after she'd finished and shadow was walking back to her own spot to check she hadnt missed anythin.