Training to Leave or drop

Couldn't think of a topic tile that makes sense :rolleyes: We have a problem with an avocado tree growing in our neighbours back yard. It is huge with branches overhanging in our backyard. Every time I let the huskies out, I first check the area, but while they are outside, some do drop down and of course, they pick it up. Micah will 9/10 times sit when I tell her and reluctantly allows me to remove the avo, but Ozzy is another story. He runs away when I approach and the only way to get him to release it is by bribing him with a chicken neck or something similar. He drives me crazy. We have stripped the tree as far as we can, but there is still plenty on the top and every time the wind blows or there is a slight breeze, these huge avos fall to the ground. I am sure the huskies think it is their personal 'Take Away' home delivery service. I hate to think how many they have eaten that I am not aware of. We have asked permission to cut the branches down on our side, but have been denied, so we need to sort this problem out.

Leave It:

• Have your dog lay down. Take a treat and place it on the floor/ground about 3' or more from your dog. As you do this, firmly repeat the command "leave it", or whatever words you want for your command to be. Your dog will probably already looking at the treat. When your dog starts to make any motion towards the treat, correct him/her by saying firmly "no... leave it". A firm voice is very critical... not yelling, but a firm tone of voice and body language. The dog should leave the treat. And the dog will probably be looking at you, looking at the treat and wondering what is going on. First time make the dog wait 5 minutes all the while repeating the command "leave it". If your dog is successful, then pick up the treat and give it to the dog and praise him/her. Never let the dog get the treat himself/herself... you always pick it up and give it.

If your dog was not successful, don't give up. But you stay closer to the treat than the dog that way if he/she does not listen to you, you can snatch the treat up before the dog gets it. If the dog gets the treat, it's a reward and we don't want to reward for doing the wrong thing.

Continue to do this making the dog wait longer and longer... 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes. Eventually, he/she may start turning their back to the treat when you say the command "leave it". Which is a good thing.

Repeat doing this same step for a few days. When your dog seems to have this down to a science, move on to the next step.
  • Do everything just like you did in Step 1 but move the treat closer to your dog. Having him/her "leave it" for the same amounts of time.

Repeat doing this same step for a few days moving the treat closer and closer to your dog. When your dog seems to have this down to a science, move on to the next step.
  • Up until now, you've been watching your dog to make sure he/she performs the command "leave it". Now, do the same things as in Steps 1 and 2 only now, turn your back. Start doing something else, but keeping some attention on your dog. If your dog starts to move for the treat tell him/her "leave it" without even looking at your dog. This should be sufficient reinforcement at this point and your dog should now know you have eyes in the back of your head. He/She should leave the treat.

Continue this process of acting as if you are ignoring your dog for a few days. Then continue on to the next step.
  • Now that your dog sees you as some sort of super power, it's time to put all of your previous work to the test... same set up as all before... put the treat in front of your dog and say "leave it", firmly. Now, leave the room or area in which your dog is at. Stay gone for only a minute, return. If the treat is still there, keep repeating this staying out of the area of the dog for longer periods of time.

Never forget to reward your dog by handing him/her the treat and giving verbal and physical praise when he/she has done well. Don't allow your dog to get the treat themselves.
  • This is the ultimate and the last part of the training for "leave it". When you feed your dog... right in the middle of his/her eating tell him/her to "leave it". Keep saying "leave it" firmly until your dog stops eating. You may have to use his/her name prior to the command in order to gain the attention of your dog. He/She should stop eating if you have firmly established the previous steps. Make your dog wait for however long you deem appropriate... then allow the dog to return to eating his/her meal. This is a good practice for asserting your authority of your dog as well. Kind of a reminder for him/her.
  • Now, when your dog is out and about and you see him/her pick up anything they shouldn't, use this command. A dead rat, something spilt on the floor, a plant, whatever you would not want them to have. Use it! And give praise when your dog has obeyed you.

yep agree with sarah - if its over our garden we are allowed to trim it back, my grandad pinches the neighbours apples n black berries off their tree/bush that hang over his garden he says they are over his garden so technically they are his - find out about laws regarding such things in your area hun

jennet great post +1

Great advise Jennet +1

We taught the 'Leave It' command slightly differently. The technique I used was from Victoria Stilwell (It's Me Or The Dog)

I started by having a treat in both hands. One hand behind my back and the other in the dogs view.

All I did next was hold my hand out and then as te dogs didn't know what was expected yet they obviously started to try and get the treat out of my hand. I kept a firm grip on the treat and eventually they backed their head away from the treat. As they did this I said the command "Leave It" and then rewarded them with the other treat I was holding behind my back in my other hand. They never get the treat which is kept in front of them as this is the treat I want them to 'leave it'.

I repeat the above a few times before moving on

After a few times they should start to recognise what 'leave it' means and be ready for the next step.

This time I again have a treat in each hand (one for them to 'leave it' and for reward). The reward I hide behind my back and the other I hold in front of the dog with my hand laid out flat (so they could easily grab the treat) in front of the dog. As this treat gets 'offered' I also give them the 'leave it' command. For the first few times tey may go to take the treat, if they do I take the treat away with a calm "Uh Oh" and then try again when they have backed away to where they was. When they 'leave it' on command I again give them the treat I had behind my back in my other hand.

Again I repeat this step a few times before moving on.

Then your dog should hopefully be getting the hang of the 'leave it' command and you can move onto te next step.

Again, we have two treats. One goes behind my back and the other this time gets placed on the floor in front of the dog. As the treat is placed on the floor I give the 'leave it' command using calm movements. Again you may find your dog will go to take the treat, if he does take the treat away with a calm "Uh Oh" (if the dg does get the treat of the floor, don't worry just try again) and try again. When he/she does 'leave it' reward them with the treat you had behind your back.

Repeat this a few times before moving on.

Now we start moving onto more of a challenge.

Two treats again (one behind your back, out of dogs view and the other in the dogs view). This time we are going to place it on the floor in front of the dog with the 'leave it' command and using calm movements. Now this time we are not going to stay on the floor we are going to stand up (staying in the same spot). This is going to be really testing our dog focus on you and their patience. If they go to take the treat, don't worry you're likely to not be able to get to the treat before your dog takes it and they could potentially work that out but simply ignore this (if it helps walk away for 5 mins before returning to try again). Remain consistant with him/her and when they 'leave it' praise with the reward from from behind your back.

Again we move onto more of a challenge.

Same as always two treats, one hidden from your dogs view and th other in sight. Remaining standing up, drop the treat to the floor in front of your dog with the command "Leave It". Again, it's likely that your dog may go straight to the treat in which case don't worry about it, mistakes happen, just try again (again if it helps walk away for a while to calm down) and ignore those mistakes. As we have done so far, reward and praise your dog when they follow your command.

Don't expect miracles, when I was doing this I had mistakes every time and it d get stresfull at times and almost like I was fighting a loosing battle but remain consistant and if you need too take a few steps back (One step forward, Two steps back as they say).

When you start for the first time use a calm but direct voice and a positive vibe with the rewards and as you continue to the harder challenges use a much firmer and direct tone of voice (not to the point where your yelling and shouting though) and assertive body language so your dog knows you mean business - It may sound silly but your dog will be paying close attetion to your tone of voice and your body language. If you have a treat bag or a pocket which you can easily get a treat out of you can use this to hide the reward instead of hiding it in your hand behind yor back.

Over time as your dog becomes more fluent with the command you can delay the time between the dog doing the command and you giving the reward and then even to skipping the treats and sayig a simple "Good Boy/Girl" but that will ak time.

Because you are wanting them to avoid something specific, you can use that item in your training which could make it easier for them to understand that that is you want them to leave.

I can't find a video of this technique at te moment but wen I get the camera back I will try and get a vid of myself teaching this command to one of my boys for you to see :)

Fantastic advice - thank you all. The problem is that we live in a company house on site (fruit packing plant). There are only 10 houses on site but the trees are 'holy' and we need permission to cut or trim them back. This is a very strict rule and is adhered to by everyone. The company will not cut down a tree, and even cutting back the branches of the avo tree had everyone reacting with horror. My husband is going to put a net up, like an awning under the tree to catch any falling avos and hopefully they will have eaten their last avo. Thanks once again for the training tips, it is appreciated.