Keep her off the couch....any ideas?

So I decided to keep my fur babies off of the couch. Trust me its probably harder for me than it is for them because I LOVE TO SNUGGLE WITH THEM on the couch. However, Zihna decided that she does not want Whisper on the couch and as soon as he would get on she would irritate him till he get off and then she would run to the other couch and jump on it and stand there like: NOPE you not getting on this one either. So to prevent any problems I decided to keep them both off and get each a nice chill out spot in the living room.

Whisper is still at Doggy Camp and they will teach him there to stay off the couch and I am working on Zihna here. The problem is that I think she is training me. She knows that OFF means off the couch, but she decided that she will only get off the couch if I get off it as well.... :lol: :lol:.

Most of the time she wont even bother, but when she gets her crazy puppy minutes we always play what I call the OFF GAME! She will jump on the couch when I am not paying attention (as in looking at the TV or on the laptop) and then when I see it I say: Zihna OFF! But she wont move! She will just look at me.....BUT as soon as I GET OFF the couch to walk over to the other couch to get her off, she will usually jump off by herself. As soon as I sit back down she will jump back on...when I get back up she will jump off. That goes on for about 5-10 minutes and then she wont get back on for the rest of the day......and then we do it all over again the next day.

Any ideas on that?

can u keep a long training line on her and when she jumps up you can hold the lead and pull her (gently ovcorse) off the sofa and tell her down or off and that way you dont have to get off to make her get off :) praise her when she gets down and allows you to stay on the sofa too

Thats not a bad idea, just that one of my couches is kind of sitting in the middle of the living room as in that you can walk circles around it. But I do have a retractable lead I could use next time she gets those crazy 10 minutes. I have been praising her when she gets off and I was thinking about giving her treats when she gets off....but I was kind of worried that she will get on and off just to get treats then. LOL....she does that with her crate....she will go in and look at me like: Hey look I am being a good girl and I am sitting in my crate...can I have treat now???

They are soooo darn smart....lol....

Nix comes up with good ideas every once in awhile. All I can add is be consistent. If you maintain that the dogs are not on the sofa, then others in the family have to enforce the same rule. Otherwise, the dogs will only learn it's not OK to be on the couch when you are around.

Nix comes up with good ideas every once in awhile. All I can add is be consistent. If you maintain that the dogs are not on the sofa, then others in the family have to enforce the same rule. Otherwise, the dogs will only learn it's not OK to be on the couch when you are around.

Oh yes and I think that is the hardest part. My daughters friend is here for fall break and she likes making Zihna jump for toys.... I don't like that and I have to constantly remind her to give her the toy if she sits down and is calm. I have been sitting on the floor with Zihna and let her chase her toy without the jumping and it is just as much fun for her. I just feel like a broken record right now because I have to say the same thing every day. LOL.

But yes that is the hardest part to get everyone else to be consistent. Especially with Teenagers....they listen just as great as Husky puppies!!! LOL

I am having the same problem with my pup suki, she loves to sprawl herself out across the sofa, so i am in the process of teaching her down to come off the sofa, it is working but its a case of perseverence, Suki sometimes thinks its a game and starts to tear arse backwards and forwards off then on the sofa, when she does this, i take her into the kitchen so she knows its not acceptable, just keep up the good work and i hope it all works out for you x

LOL that mental image is a good one! Dont they just love to play games with you.. my girl would do this with our bed she'd jump up all husky grins and Id tell her off so she'd jump off but run round the room and jump up the other side.. Id try to sound serious when I told her off but I just couldnt help laughing so it never really worked! Cheeky little moo! LOL :lol:

When you tell her off throw a treat on the floor that way she learns getting off the sofa is rewarding, then once she is off get another treat and tell her come and then down (getting her to lay down next to your feet on the floor) and then reward so shes not just jumping right back on the sofa again. Repeat as nessasary! :)

Hope that helps.

LOL that mental image is a good one! Dont they just love to play games with you.. my girl would do this with our bed she'd jump up all husky grins and Id tell her off so she'd jump off but run round the room and jump up the other side.. Id try to sound serious when I told her off but I just couldnt help laughing so it never really worked! Cheeky little moo! LOL :lol:

When you tell her off throw a treat on the floor that way she learns getting off the sofa is rewarding, then once she is off get another treat and tell her come and then down (getting her to lay down next to your feet on the floor) and then reward so shes not just jumping right back on the sofa again. Repeat as nessasary! :)

Hope that helps.

LOL...yes its hard to stay serious. It can be annoying sometimes especially when I am trying to get some work done on the PC and here comes the crazy puppy moment...but at the same time its so funny because it shows me how smart that little girl is. :lol: So I cant get mad at her. :wub:

It has gotten a bit better over the past few days and she is starting to jump off without me getting up. Not always but she is starting to give in slowly but surely. :)

Nikita does this with the bed. I use the air dusters (the canned air used for computer and such), I tell her off and show it to her in order to get her down, rarely have to spray it any more as she knows she doesn't like it. If you try to pull her down by her collar she just wees instead. Once I turn my back though she tries sneaking back onto the bed. Those that have met Nikita know just how silly her trying to sneak anywhere would berolleyes.gif.