Raw feeders out there!!!

Hey :wave:, Alaska is off the satin balls now, she is 9 months and weighs 19kg so i think she is about right, she is less ribby and has a bigger appetite so im back onto the raw food now...what are peoples regimes??

heres mine today:

1st meal of the day:

-3 raw chicken wings

-1 can of fresh red alaskan salmon from marks and sparks ;) lol with a drizzel of olive oil

2nd meal:

1 block of frozen tripe and chicken with cooked mixed veggies, a handful of of boiled shell pasta and 1 egg

but now she is 9 months is there anything else she can have? i was told that i need to have a balance of calcium as too much calcium can force joints together and too little is also bad...what is the right medium to have to i know my girl getting all the nutrients for a growing puppy?

Hey :wave:, Alaska is off the satin balls now, she is 9 months and weighs 19kg so i think she is about right, she is less ribby and has a bigger appetite so im back onto the raw food now...what are peoples regimes??

heres mine today:

1st meal of the day:

-3 raw chicken wings

-1 can of fresh red alaskan salmon from marks and sparks ;) lol with a drizzel of olive oil

2nd meal:

1 block of frozen tripe and chicken with cooked mixed veggies, a handful of of boiled shell pasta and 1 egg

but now she is 9 months is there anything else she can have? i was told that i need to have a balance of calcium as too much calcium can force joints together and too little is also bad...what is the right medium to have to i know my girl getting all the nutrients for a growing puppy?

You spoil them;) one thing I would say though is to keep the veggies raw as well, ( making sure they are well mashed up) cooking them takes away alot of nutrients...

I agree with Smithy, I would feed the vegies raw and make sure they are well mashed up - because otherwise the dog won't digest them properly and they will just poo them out (yeah I know gross, just think of what happens if you give your dog a whole raw carrot to eat, it comes out in their poo!).

I also wouldn't feed pasta, I don't feed grains of any kind and I also don't feed potato. Pumpkin is the only carb I give them. If you feed them enough you don't need to bulk the food out with grains... they have no nutritional value for the dog. Also - don't forget they do need some offal in their diet :) An adult should be eating 2-3% of their body weight each day.

I feed a mixture of raw meaty bones; chicken wings/frames/necks, lamb necks/forequarters/flaps/shanks, turkey wings and necks etc. I also make up a BARF mix of human grade beef mince which I mix with lots of raw grated vegies and fruit (celery, pumpkin, apple, carrot, etc), natural yoghurt, a few tins of sardines and offal (I usually put chicken livers). I give this to the dogs a few times a week :) I do a big mix up and make several kilos of the mixture and freeze it in smaller containers so I can take them out to defrost as I please.

When it comes to fish I feed sardines and mackeral and salmon if I can get some.

I've found these links really handy:

http://www.barfworld.com/html/barf_diet/barfdiet_specific.shtml

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

we have a mushing friend who brings chicken legs as a gift when she visits.. nothing funnier than watching them walk around with them and they seem to last a while.

Also, during hunting season, look for a butcher who is dressing game, they are not allowed to sell the meat here -so ours is very glad to give away all the bones and scraps! There is usually an amazing amount of meat on the bones -we are quite jealous! Our dogs had elk and venison this year. When Quinn, was very small, he would straddle the big bones like he was riding a horse! We try to save and freeze them but they never last long!