Dominance

Jintel

I've grown up with dogs (never more than one at a time) and recently read a few books like 'Siberian Huskies for Dummies' and two written by Cesar Millan (Dog Whisper).

Having Suki join our pack is great and they seem to be getting on much better today; but what are the signs that one of them is becoming dominant other than the usual stuff? Is there anything husky specific?

I wouldn't say husky specific as i think dominance is a general thing with all pack animals.

Humping is a sure sign of dominance but i think they're a bit young to be doing that yet lol.......does one show more outward signs of submissive behaviour ie retreating or lying down so their body is lower than the other one?

Maybe they need to have these mad moments together to work out their own hirerarchy? Just as long as you're the pack leader !! :)

cnt say i can help u there as even tho we have 2 dogs ive neva rly noticed anythin all i no is that bing will tell blaze off if hes doin summin he shudnt b like jumpin up at the table when we r eatin he will bark at him when blaze kept jumpin at my friends dog (Khi) bingo barked at blaze and stood infront ov khi to stop him bless him

heres a link over dog body language

http://www.wagntrain.com/BodyLanguage.htm

hope this helps

tho u might have already read this so hopefully some more experience owners can help

Hi Jintel

It is pretty normal to see two dogs (especially around the same age) compete over various resources like food, toys and affection. Not that it is behaviour we want to condone obviously! But you may see it occurring a bit more between your dogs as they reach their adolescent age.

I would be making sure you really implement the NILIF program:

http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=nilif.html

Having three dogs I try not to show preference to one over the other. If I am going to give them all a treat, the first dog to comply with whatever command I give for the treat is the one who gets it first. When I get home, it is the dog who is sitting quietly and calmly at my feet who gets a pat first. I try not to create a situation where the dogs will see it is necessary to compete with each other to get whatever resource they are after, but that I control that resource and complying with my command is the only way they will get what they are after.

Hope that makes sense! :)

I love the Husky for Dummies book! Very good common sense advise. I've noticed Cesar Milan rarely has a husky on his show and never tries to teach a husky to walk on a leash LOL I want to see him walk all mine...

Our four monsters have their pack assignments sorted out and we try to keep the status quo. Mukki is alpha male and Tala is alpha female -the newbies follow with puppy as "omega brat" When they are fed or given treats it is according to their accepted ranks. It's funny sometimes, Mukki will take a cookie and place it on the ground a foot away and all the other dogs sit around him... waiting for him to either eat it or give it to them.

There is occasional humping and rough play, I try to ignore it. As long as I am supreme boss, we get along fine! Sometimes my neighbors think they are too rough but I explain that sibes play like a cross between footballers and orrangatangs.

Can make that 5 people with the Husky for Dummies book. I have it too and there is loads of brilliant advice in there. I can't remember the exact page that its on but there is a section in there which describes the difference between Dominant and Submissive behaviour I keep meaning to read through and making a write up of it and with some info from when I was at college but can't find the work I did at college! When I do hopefully will get a write up on here.