Off the lead............

I know this is a big diverse subject between all of us so i thought i would show u this vid.

If u read wot ive put on you tube i have said yes n no 2 let ur Husky off the lead. Alot of u say never n some of say u can.

Here r my 2 boys from the walk from this mornin, Scooby bless her just can't b let off the lead thats y i have both opinions.

Hope u enjoy :)

Thanks for sharing that Emily. biggrin.gif

It's nice to see Huskies running free.

As you say some you can trust, some you can't

Darwin I wouldn't trust.

Daughtry ONLY if we had Echo (surrogate mum) with us.

AND there were no other dogs around.

As a general rule of thumb, unless they are in a fully secure area, they are on lead.

Great Vid though biggrin.gif

I totally agree, i only do this in remote locations. I would never do this wher there r other dogs or rds close by etc

I think its nice 2 see Huskies runnin free n love 2 share this.

Nook has the best recall.. 1 quick high pitched 'NOOK' n hes stright back everytime.

I know alot of people will not like this vid cos they will think people will go out n try it themselves but i have stated many many times ONLY DO THIS IF U TRUST UR HUSKY100%

so pls just enjoy :) x

Not that I'm gona swear to it....but the breeder I brought my husky from has his off leash when he walks them he's got some vid's on youtube I'll try and find them. He says that he believe's that it's getting their attention that is the hard bit, and he use's a whisle. When we went to see them at 5 1/2 weeks they were already responding to the whisle training he was giving them and seemed pretty well paper trained when we saw them at 6 1/2 weeks.

Well we get her on wednesday so we'll soon see lol fingers crosssed. Are you allowed to put links up to other site's on here? I did it earlier then thought...oh should I have done that?....

Emily this is an awesome video and very responsible of you to explain that you believe in both sides of the argument ;) I think you have obviously worked very hard to get that kind of recall from your boys and you obviously know when you haven't achieved that level of recall as Scooby is still on the lead. I applaud you 100% (+1 rep)

Emily this is an awesome video and very responsible of you to explain that you believe in both sides of the argument ;) I think you have obviously worked very hard to get that kind of recall from your boys and you obviously know when you haven't achieved that level of recall as Scooby is still on the lead. I applaud you 100% (+1 rep)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty hot topic now. As I've said before, I like to walk my husky off the leash especially in hot weather as it let's her regulate her internal temperature better than I can. However, you must keep in mind the area -what distractions there are, what other dogs or animals may be running around, and of course possible hazards like busy streets. I walk mine on the beach when its deserted because its pretty narrow (40 ft wide or so) and I can see where she is all the time, and there's nobody there in the off season. There is an empty housing development nearby that works well for the same reasons. The point is, only you can decide if and when you can trust your dog and, more importantly, if its worth the risk.

ok well, for the first time EVER - and it will probably by the last, i let skyla offlead, we went to the feild there were no other dogs around except my mates dog who she played with, we only had 1 incident when we had to run away from them to get them to come back to us - its not that they were running away its that they were too far away from us for my liking :P i have videos im uploading atm which i will post up when they are finished

Emily my only problem with the video is that it is easly accessed and new owners could see this and think they can let their dogs off too.

If people want to put videos up like this, I feel they need to tell the people all the facts properly and explain that it is in a secure place away from roads and also warn that huskies go missing everyday because owners let them off the lead.

We let both our dogs off the lead as much as possible and agree if the place is secure you should be able to let your dogs off the lead.

Our Siberian is now 18 Months Old.

We live near a heath and our front door opens straight out to the road (There is no pavement outside in front of my house) so training our dog to sit at the kerb was a challenge.

We picked our Dog (Merlin) up from the breeders when he was 14 weeks old.

I walked him on the lead 200 yards to the heath and let him off as we entered the heath.

He was very timid (Still is) and stayed with us.

After walking him like this for a month he was use to the area where we walk him. He would walk in front of us as far as he could, as long as he could see us.

RECALL

This was a bit of a problem because he wouldn’t eat out side so no reward when he came back.(But liver is your friend huskies go mad for it)

Instead we would walk off (head back) and say bye. This would make him run back to us but he would not come close as he didn't want his lead on.

To get him to come to us we would call him back, give him a stoke and carry on with the walk then at any point (never the same place) put his lead on when he walks by.

One Year On

We can walk our husky off the lead only in an enclosed space i.e. Heath, Field, Park

My husband can walk the dog home off the lead he will follow him from the gate (At heath) and walk 100 yards by my husband’s side across a road and then a further 100 yards to the front door.

My husband has been working on training our husky off the lead for 1 year its not been without its problems.

If you have a male i would recommend Neutering