9wk old and crate

hey guys... as some of you may know... i want to crate train my pup, he started very well with it

but im getting annoyed with the late nights before he settles into the crate without too much noise..

i mean its 10pm and i should be in bed like an hr ago to be up at 5am! loki has fallen asleep on the carpet but i put him into his crate and he will lie down good enough but then he sort of stirs and realises he been put into crate, and whimpers like hell :angry:

today i left for work at 6am but left the pup lying on the kitchen floor with his crate door open and kitchen doors closed.... apparently he didnt make any accidents or even wake steve up as i woke steve up with a phone call at 830am....

steve left for work 115pm and did the same as me - left pup shut in kitchen with cage door open... i got home about 245pm and he heard me come in so whined for me to let him out but i saw that he didnt do any accidents (which makes me proud to an extent really!!)

so now i've shut loki in the kitchen lying on kitchen floor yet he isnt making any noise!! :huh:

so should i abandon the crate and leave him shut in kitchen instead? but im worried that during the night, instead of crying to go out, he will just go on the floor at ease...:unsure:

i have 3 crates all set up with doors open, just for if they want their own space. mine are all free in house all the time.

Odin i got at 8 weeks he hated the crate so like you i left it open an him in the kitchen, we had afew accidents but he's 2yo now and he's great xxxxxx do whats best for you and your pup but dont get rid of the crate mine do use theirs when we go camping xxxxxx

hmm

steve would rather be able to leave him free in the kitchen than the crate (so that when he is toilet-trained enough to withstand the chance of us being on same shift, loki is not going to be shut in a crate for 7hrs) but i do want loki to learn that crate is there for "quiet" not that he needs it in our house, i mean if he sleeping we leave him be anyway

i find it really weird that after 15 minutes he still quiet in kitchen - unlike being in the crate... :blink:

but he would go in the crate thru the night very good... cries to go out for toilet 2x during night normally between 1-2am and then sort of 5-6am which is wake up then and defo doesnt like going back to crate!

i may try without crate for one night and see if he still cries to go out or relieves himself on the floor?

good morning.... :mellow:

it was about bleeding midnight before loki settled... he was good as gold lying on kitchen floor for hour before stve comes home and loki is up and at 'em again....

tried to leave him shut in kitchen but he whined and whined for solid 20 minutes (hence it was like 1145pm!)

i told steve to go let him out then put him straight into his crate and come to bed...

little bugger was good as gold werent he for steve?????

he went out for pee and steve managed to put him in crate... he quietly whined for 5 minutes... and hallejuah he shut up!!

AND

solid slept to 530am.... which is when i got up to get ready for work.... steve had to get up initially to let him out...

i fed him at 6am... and left him shut in kitchen... i'v yet to find out if steve managed to stay in bed or if loki whined like heck after i left for work...

wait for an update... :rolleyes:

bless... steve had to get up at like 730 = Parcelforce came bloody early with the new divider for loki's crate!

think he managed a nap on the sofa tho when loki had nap too... :rolleyes:

last night was better... loki was knackered and ready for bed... refused to go on crate tho! argh. but managed to leave him on kitchen floor instead and i went to bed at 9pm for a change!

steve came in at 1030pm and let loki out and mad half hour before bed again... steve manages to get him into crate... loki whined for about 5 minutes then shut up...

bearing in mind that steve finally got into bed at 1130pm after a shower... loki seemed to sleep thru til 430am - again he thought it was morning hence wake up time... i came down to find them both on the sofa snoozing... attempted to put loki back in crate but he werent having it - prob cos he needed toilet so took him out and good boy he had pee and poo...

fed him at 6am again... and shut him in kitchen.... whined about that... just shouted up to steve to ignore him cos he will settle within 10 min max... again i'll find out in about an hr when i give my lover a call! :D

Do you feed in the crate? This was the main turning point for us with Nukka and her crate, she hated it up till we started feeding her in there and then she couldnt wait to get in! Also every time she went in by herself we would treat her, so it got to the point where I just had to say "in your bed" give her a treat or a chew then go to bed or out and she was happy quite and dry would mostly just curl up and go to sleep! :)

Do you have a name for the crate. i have found what has worked well is regularly say 'bed'...then reward with a treat when he goes in his 'bed'. I did this loads of times during the day. I sometimes treat now i dont always though...he is very quiet all night and when we go out. when we first had him (18mth rescue - never crate trained apparently!) he howled like a mad dog when left but that lasted for only a few weeks...he's now a perfect dog.

I think it depends on what you want. if he is a chewer then i would persevere with the crating. if you want to go camping etc again i would persevere with it. It just depends on your lifestyle.

I would take the pressure of him. leave the crate door open and see where he chooses..he may eventually decided thats his bed. It may be cooler for him to sleep on the floor?

Good luck...hes still young and missing his litter mates. I bet if you moved the crate up with you he would be quiet all night! (thats an option until he is settled in it)

feeding inside mite be idea.... altho he sits so good waiting for it....

we use the "bed" as name for it

but he so prefers the kitchen laminate flooring...

during the day, we let him sleep on the floor or leave him free in the kitchen... we shut the kitchen doors when we go out and so far he been very good and not relieved himself on the floor anywhere... after leaving him for 2.5 hrs max so far

its just at night he gives a good whine for about 10 minutes before he settles.. then he is quiet all night unless he needs to go toilet....

i want to use crate cos yes eventually we will go camping... and much rather have him in crate at night

but it may be cos theres not really any stress about for him to see it as quiet area... that mite change when we look after lexi for a week in sept :blink:

My pup has just turned 3 months and I managed to crate train her successfully. Initially she howled and howled when she went in there, so I put the crate in my bedroom and she was quiet all night, she would just wake a couple of times to let me know she wanted to go to the toilet. I was going to try gradually moving her crate downstairs but one day I put it down there and she slept all night without a sound. Now, I'll let her outside before I go to bed, and she will walk back in and go straight into her crate and she sleeps all night. Wakes at about 7am every morning (bed time is about 10:30pm). I think she just felt more settled knowing I was nearby. I also cover the crate up with a light blanket so she has no distractions and she can settle. Now I can go out during the day and leave her for a couple of hours and she's asleep when I get back. For the first few nights I also gave her a kong to keep her occupied and settle her down. Now she only gets the kong when I'm going out so she knows her crate is the one place she can really enjoy it. I'm sure it'll all work out for you.

Milla didn't like her crate the first few nights at home (2 mos old), but my boys took turns sleeping on the couch next to her crate so they could take her out or just call to her so she'd know she wasn't alone. We also made a warm "litter mate pillow" (suede-like fabric with two ziploc bags of dry rice inside, warmed up in the microwave at bedtime) to keep her company. After a week, she would sleep all night alone with little whining and no messes in the crate.

Then we started shovelling treats in her for "going to bed." We would lead her into the crate with a treat, then give her two more with the door open. After she would go into the crate easily for a treat, I would put her in with one treat, then close the door, give her two more treats, then open the door and let her out. Once she associated the crate with treats, she started going in there for her naps. I'll leave the door open if I'm in the room when she's napping or close it if I have to leave. She doesn't seem to care one way or another. In fact, today she "went to bed" on command, without help or treats. Yay!

She has a wire crate with a sheepskin pad on the bottom, her favorite couch pillow in the back to sleep on, plus her litter-mate pillow, a towel and a rawhide bone. The crate is big enough for her to stand up, turn around and stretch to full length, but not big enough to put food or water in. The crate is between the couch and a cupboard, with books piled on top (so she can't chew on them), so she's got plenty of privacy while still being with the family.

I don't know if any of these tricks will work for Loki, but this is what worked for us.

thanks for all the replies about the crate...

but he's being a bugger about it :huh:

last night steve had to let him out about 130am.... but couldnt get him back into the crate... so he left him on the kitchen floor... typically loki shuts up and just goes to sleep perfectly fine!!

just now... me&steve have been for a meal... and tried to put him in crate... but he howled really loud and deeper....

i let him out (kitchen doors are closed) and he gives a kiss then plops right down by the cooker on the floor..... we've now just left him there and he's not making any sound..:blink:

typically steve tells me (NOW) that last weekend on a visit to my mum's that loki got into her westie's plastic hard bed and curled up and went fast asleep!! (BED LIKE DIESEL'S THAT HAS BEEN REPLACED) and loki tried to snuggle up in it again today visiting my mum

so cos im thinking to leave the crate idea... and try a plastic bed instead :unsure:

Hello,

Just thought id write to you. We have been lucky cuz Archie will go in a crate at night and when we go to work etc, he does moan alot if we have to put him in at the weekend if we go out for an hour (dont trust him on his own in the house lol)

I think that if hes not destroying the kitchen and he sleeps well, i dont seem any harm in it. Like you said put a bed in and see how he goes. Make sure he cant get out of the kitchen or hurt himself but i think its ok to do that. If your all happy to do it thats good.

Good luck, let us no how you get on!

Hayley

feeding inside mite be idea.... altho he sits so good waiting for it....

You can still make him wait just in the crate.. my two both know go and get in their crates and stay in a down possition while I'm making their food.. they then have to wait while I put the food in and shut the doors I back away and they're giving me eye contact the whole time then I release with OK.

So they still acknowledge me as the food giver and therefore the boss but it helps them to like their crates as they associate it with nice possative things like treats and dinnertime! :)

i have ordered a hard plastic bed... hopefully be here by wed

last night we went out for a meal and got back about 930pm

let loki out for toilet, he came back inside and plopped down in his "spot" in kitchen for bed...

we shut the kitchen doors... leaving him on the floor for night

i wake up at 545am this morning.... woke steve up to ask him if he's done loki at all during the night... "no"

amazed to find that loki has not done any accidents in the kitchen but went as soon as i let him out = mega fuss over him he's loving it!

fed him his breakfast at 6am and left in kitchen whilst i go back to bed....

but that didnt happen... loki thinks its wake up time... luckily steve gets up and plays with him... i get 2hrs more sleep!! :D