Emergency Recall

During training last night we talked about the ermergency recall and how important it is. We have to think of what our word is going to be and start working on it this week. (Info following if you are not familiar with the idea) Everything I have found online for suggestions has silly words that I am ready to yell out in the middle of trouble. I was wondering what other people use for their recall word. Right now my top pic is JACKPOT, but not sure if it is the winner yet.

Thanks a bunch.

Emergency Recall vs "Come"

Just remember there is a difference between this and just teaching him to come to you when you call his name or say “comeâ€Â. For normal recall training, the treat is gradually replaced with praise. Not the emergency recall. When you call him using the emergency recall command, you need to give him his extra special reward every time he finds you.

A couple of other points about the dog emergency recall. The word needs to be something he just wouldn’t hear otherwise. This is a special command and should only be used when it is needed. “Ruetabagerâ€Â, or “Charlie Chan†or anything that the dog is not likely to hear day to day will do. Secondly, never ever correct or give him a negative experience if you’ve called him with the emergency recall. Never yell at him when he comes, even if he did just chase that cat up a tree. He has to know absolutely, when he hears that word, nothing but wonderful treats and praise is waiting for him when he gets to you. If you do behave in any negative way, it will make him less excited to return to you and will destroy all of the work you have done by weakening the command’s effectiveness.

You’ll also want to make sure that this command is not overused. This can be difficult when you begin training, since you need to use it often so that your dog can learn it. But once you’re sure he knows the command, use it sparingly. Don’t abandon it entirely you will still need to use it from time to time to keep it current in your dog’s mind. But don’t use it frivolously.

If you're serious about your dog’s safety, you need to train him to come to an emergency recall command. This training should be a positive experience for both of you and knowing that he will come without hesitation will give you piece of mind. Next time you go into your backyard and find the gate unlocked, you don’t need to panic! If you’ve been consistent with your dog’s training, he will happily return to you unharmed.

Fantastic post.

I've been working on the Emergency re-call for a few months now ~ trying not to over do it.

I happily let Joey and Zarly off lead and i've not had a problem ~ although in writing that i still keep a close eye on them and don't let them wander any more then 7-8 meters .. which they don't!

we did this in shiloh's first lot of training sessions...............we say "shiloh come" with one arm in the air.....when sayin the command we put our arm back down to our side.........it has worked every time for us.......we have tested it a few times when out on the field with shiloh...he has always come straight back to us :)

I use a dog whistle with a specific combination of short and long blows for the emergency recall. I live in a rural area surrounded by mountains, so my emergency recall is mostly for calling Polar back from far away, I figure the dog whistle is better than walking around yelling "Polar" at the top of my lungs.

Very interesting post I've never heard of that before. When Kiana doesn't come at the park I just tell her I'm leaving her there oddly enough she turns around and I turn my back she comes bolting over works all the time lol really not quite sure how I trained her into that one O_o

darwin doesnt have one, as he is a rescue.

echo's is that i drop to my knees and yell squeaky

and daughry's is yelling foodies!!!!

i dont let my dogs off unless they are in a secure area.

no off leads on purpose for my pooches

Like Sarah I whistle and normally she comes running as she knows she always gets somthing tastey.... however the other day she found a tiney hole in the fence behind the shed at my mums house and litterally went husky deaf to ANYTHING! Worst 10minutes of my life as I couldnt get her back and couldnt leave Shadow so had to send my sister running off right around the other side of the block and she had to run her down as she would NOT come back! she was found about 5 houses down pooing in a neighbours perfectly prooned garden! :blink:

So just beware you can train recall, and you can train emergency recall and but unless you have a collar on them that when you press a button injects a very fast acting sedative they are never 100% safe!!! :mellow: