Sibe Puppy and Two Grumpy Cats

Any advice on how to have your puppy coexist with two grumpy cats? Mishka (7 weeks) loves to try to play with our cats, but all they do is hiss and swat at her. DH is worried that MIshka will grow up hating the cats and may even attack them when she gets older. He's been reading some horror stories about Sibes chomping cats to death. Eek!!

Husky's are renowned cat killers most get on while puppies but as prey drive kicks in with age they should always have a safe haven where the cats can have refuge from the dog seperate rooms etc. i dont think any on ehere who has both would ever leave the 2 alone but if the cats dont want to know you can't force them the cat will teach it bounderies but then at some stage the dog will ignore that i know some 1 will say well my dog is alone with my cat etc but another 90% will have horror stories.

My advice is if the cat's do not want to know then let the cats have a room where the husky can not get to them even if its only to play. The cat's wont see it that way and cat's can d some damage to dogs noses and eyes.

Sorry if put downer on situation just what i have seen an heard.

the only cat that gets along with embry is my cat Ash, they were introduced the first day, embry was 10 weeks and ash was 5 months, they play rough sometimes but they do get along when left home together unsupervised.

on the other hand my boyfriends cat snaps at him all the time as does my sisters cats. he barks at them and chases them around, and i hope it doesn't make him hate cats and want to kill them. my sister also has a 10 week old kitten that embry goes CRAZY for and tries to eat which upsets me because i want a maine coon kitten so badsad.gif

Pongo has grown up with all 3 of our cats and he has learned each of their names and their reactions to him. He knows our one cat plays dead and is not fun to play with so he generally leaves her alone. My other cat will box him in the face real hard and he gives up on that after awhile. Now our other cat WILL run and Pongo thinks this is just the best game ever! He will stomp the ground like he is going to chase the cat, gets him to run away and chases after the cat until he makes refuge to our basement.

I don't think Pongo would ever intentionally hurt our cats because I feel he knows they're part of the family... However, he may accidentally hurt one of them being as he is 60 lbs and my biggest cat is 10 lbs. I would never leave the cats alone with him unless I knew they had somewhere to run away to. Usually I either put the cats in the basement when I leave or Pongo in his cage, for both their safety.

yeah I have a walk in closet in that connects to the bathroom and my bedroom so we put the extra tall pet gate that they sell at petsmart in the closet door so embry has the bedroom and the cat has the closet/bathroom when we're at work. so far it has worked quite well.

yeah I have a walk in closet in that connects to the bathroom and my bedroom so we put the extra tall pet gate that they sell at petsmart in the closet door so embry has the bedroom and the cat has the closet/bathroom when we're at work. so far it has worked quite well.

be careful huskies can get quite clever when it comes to gateswink.gif

see here is the thing an its cool you're sibes are trusted alone with you're cats but i know of few stories where dogs have turned on cats that have been together for as long as 7 years with out incident come home an found a sight that is some thing they never imagined and a few other stories but 7 years is the longest one hence why i mention it. and a husky can clear a gate if so choses hence why we need 6ft fences in gardens etc lol.

We have 2 cats, one HATES all dogs, with a vegence and she hisses and attacks the dog if it goes near her.

The other one isn't fond of the dog, but they love to chase eachother around!! secretly i think the cat enjoys it because she comes into a room, and if she made no noise she could go wherever she wanted without the dog bothering her, but she always comes in and miaows really loudly! then they have a game of chase!

When we leave Eika has the hallway and kitchen, the cats are locked in our room, with a gate up in front of the door so Eika can't get in, even if she managed to pull the handle down she wouldn't be able to get in the room.

I agree with Keath - there is always the possibility that they will attack a cat. I read the blog of a woman who had a husky and two cats. They co-existed very well for four years and one day she came home from work and the husky had gotten into the playroom where the cats spent their day - the one cat was dead and the other cowering under the couch in the corner where the husky couldn't reach him - as you can imagine, the room was destroyed. In the replies to her blog there were a lot of people saying they had both cats and huskies for years with no incidents, but also more awful stories. I suppose you can have both if you are certain that the husky cannot get to the cats when you are not there. I would so looove to have a cat smile.gif

We introduced Ice to our cat a few days ago, he got hissed at and pee'd himself, the cat vanished upstairs for the rest of the day. The cats getting better though, we've let her do her own thing and not tried to force it, Ice is nowhere near as scared of her too, they'll get pretty close to each other now, Ice will bound about at bit then the cat chases him away, funny to watch.

Know matter friendly they become though they'll never be left alone.

I wouldn't try making them get along, if the cats don't want to know it'll only make them worse and they'll eventually become dinner!!!!

I had my cat bella before even thinking of getting a dog let alone a husky - when she passes over the bridge I won't be getting another. My boys have grown up with her being around and know that she's boss. They are very good with her and other than having an occasional sniff of her when she's lounging around they leave her alone. Both my boys are crated whenever i'm out of the house and wouldn't ever leave them alone with her.

There have been 2 members who have posted in the past few months to say that their husky had killed their cat :( We all know of the dangers, it's just how you manage the risks.

Hopefully, your pup will learn to give the cat a wide berth in time but always make sure the cat has somewhere safe to go :)

on the other hand my boyfriends cat snaps at him all the time as does my sisters cats. he barks at them and chases them around, and i hope it doesn't make him hate cats and want to kill them. my sister also has a 10 week old kitten that embry goes CRAZY for and tries to eat which upsets me because i want a maine coon kitten so badsad.gif

This is what I'm worried about. Bogart and Linus always snap at Mishka b/c they don't want her to mess with them. I just hope Mishka realizes they are a part of the "pack" and won't hurt them.

be careful huskies can get quite clever when it comes to gateswink.gif

So true!!! Mishka is only 7 weeks old but has already figured out how to mess with a gate. She thinks its a game.

see here is the thing an its cool you're sibes are trusted alone with you're cats but i know of few stories where dogs have turned on cats that have been together for as long as 7 years with out incident come home an found a sight that is some thing they never imagined and a few other stories but 7 years is the longest one hence why i mention it. and a husky can clear a gate if so choses hence why we need 6ft fences in gardens etc lol.

I've heard a few horror stories like that, too. One Sibe bit a cat he'd grown up in the head and killed it instantly. I just don't want that to happen w/ our cats. ohmy.gif

We have 2 cats, one HATES all dogs, with a vegence and she hisses and attacks the dog if it goes near her.

The other one isn't fond of the dog, but they love to chase eachother around!! secretly i think the cat enjoys it because she comes into a room, and if she made no noise she could go wherever she wanted without the dog bothering her, but she always comes in and miaows really loudly! then they have a game of chase!

When we leave Eika has the hallway and kitchen, the cats are locked in our room, with a gate up in front of the door so Eika can't get in, even if she managed to pull the handle down she wouldn't be able to get in the room.

This sounds just like our cats! Bogart doesn't want to be messed with, but I think Linus secretly enjoys Mishka's attention. He's always hanging out around her, but he likes to smack her in the face (he's declawed) if she comes too close to him.

I had my cat bella before even thinking of getting a dog let alone a husky - when she passes over the bridge I won't be getting another. My boys have grown up with her being around and know that she's boss. They are very good with her and other than having an occasional sniff of her when she's lounging around they leave her alone. Both my boys are crated whenever i'm out of the house and wouldn't ever leave them alone with her.

We also crate Mishka when we're not home and at night. We're hoping that she'll know that the cats are off limits. We've been working with her ever since we got her to teach her to not bother them. But, you can't fight instinct.

build a cat run on the ceilings

Haha, I'll get right on that. rolleyes.gif

my cat means far too much to me so she is kept safe AT ALL times, we even put a lock on one fo the bedroom doors as sibes can open doors. However i believe that if i left a sibe with high pray drive home alone for a few hours and they wanted to get to her, they would chew & chew at the door until they got through. She has her time with us when the dog is out, asleep in crate etc. However its easier cos she's an elderly house cat anyway (Birman) so she has one agenda anyway ....sleeo!!! when we are out we crate the dog...i just wouldnt relax otherwise.

i know someone whose cat went to go through the cat flap..and that was that...head bitten off. Risk i'm not prepared to take but thats my personal view.