Signaling to go potty

Hi everyone,

We are going to try to add a couple of things to Missy potty training. Previously, we would watch her and wait for her to sniff and then we'd take her outside. Lately she has had a few accidents inside and I know its our fault for not having the door open or watching her closely. I have read of people training dogs to ring a bell, bark, and other things, but I have yet to find a source that discloses how they trained that behavior. If anyone has any input on what you use or how to do any of those it would be great.

Thanks a ton

The Blackshears

Zoya comes up to me and noses my hand or arm. I did not train her to do that. She's done so since she was about 5 or 6 months old.

Our girl rings a bell by the door with her nose whenever she has to go out. When we first got her everytime we took her out to go potty we'd have her on a leash touch her nose on the bell on the way

out the door, then get outside and tell her "go potty". After a while she just caught on that ringing the bell means to go outside so she's pretty good about using it to let us know she needs to go out.

It took a while for her to learn though. We used the leash at first so that when we took her out we get her to go potty instead of just running off and doing laps around the pool like she usually does.

Good luck :)

Iv heard about using a bell too but never known how to train it...? Also Id be worried that my girl would just be perminatly stood on the bell to go out wether she needs toilet or not! LOL She loves to be outside!

At the moment she will just pace between me and the back door and then when I look stares at me in a very purposful way, Shadow will whine a little or wooh and then wooh to come back inside again if I shut the door (he doesnt like the door being shut) :)