What is your sibe actually telling you?

Here is some more info I made up last night. This bit is about your sibe/s vocal and body language which can also help you understand them and help training. There is more information on the way about this subject (i.e. facial and tail expressions) which I will try and make up tonight and post on here tomorrow :)

Anything to add or explain please do so :)

What is your Sibe actually telling you?

Dogs communicate through various different behaviours. These different behaviour can be simplified into 2 groups, these are:

• Vocalisation

• Body Language

However, both are much more complex than the words say. Each behaviour represents a different meaning as to what your dog is saying to you or another dog.

Knowing what your dog is saying can play a vital part in understanding him/her and can help to train them in the best means possible. Unlike us humans, dogs don’t need to learn how to talk or how to express their feelings/emotions as it comes natural to them and they will also learn a lot of this from their mother during their first few, yet vital, few weeks/months they have with her.

Vocalisation

Barking

A dog’s park is mostly a juvenile noise. Usually a bark is between a snarl and a yelp.

Many Siberian Huskies are not usually a regular ‘barking’ breed of dog compared with other breeds of dog. The Sibe will usually howl, chirp, chatter or woo mostly. Why is this? Barking is more of a territorial call and, as many know, the sibe is not really a territorial dog. However, Huskies may bark occasionally for this reason but is definitely not as regularly as other dogs.

Some siberian’s will also bark as an invitation to play.

Howling

Howling in dogs is much more primitive to them than barking. This means that breeds of more ancient lineage, like the sibe, are more likely to howl than the more modern breed, like the Irish setter and toy breeds such as the Shih Tzu. These more ‘original’ breeds like the Siberian, Malamutes and hound dogs are howlers of high order.

It remains a great mystery as to the meaning of the dogs howl. It is known that sibes will howl through boredom but it is also suggested that siberian’s are just as likely to howl when other siberian’s are present, which is suspected to be a bonding strategy or this breed. A known purpose of the sibes howl is for long distance communication. Howling is low-pitched and the sound carries for a long duration. These factors together are what is required to carry the message for miles around. Although to us a dogs howl sounds very much the same, every howl is individual. This individual howl is what makes it easier for others to recognise “who’s calling†which mainly comes from the sibes close relatives, the wolf. The wolf would listen for each howl to recognise each unique sound of every pack mate.

When you have more than one dog howling or listen to wolves howling, a way to identify the alpha dog/wolf or pack leader is to listen out for the deepest howl as this is usually a sign of the dog/wolf being pack leader.

Some Siberian owners often worry that theirs do not howl. In many cases it can be due to there being only one siberian in that household. Many siberian will learn to howl when around his/her fellow howling pack mates. However, if this is not the case, you as the owner can also teach your sibe to howl if you are willing to crawl around the floor like a dog!

Many people say that Sibes, being closely related to the wolf, will howl at the moon. However, there is no hard evidence of this. Although, there is a theory which states that dogs may howl more during the full moon due to the sky being lighter and the dogs/wolves finding it easier to see. As a result of them finding it easier to see, they are therefore more active.

What is so magic about the siberian’s howl?

If you’re lucky enough to own more than one siberian, you may indulge their community howl now again. This can be a very pleasant experience for you to hear, however annoyed your neighbours may become. When you listen very carefully, you will hear their eerie and wolf-like cry which can sound rather haunting and reminiscent. Many people, who have the lucky experience of this cry, will find themselves having a sensation of thrill rushing down their back which as unpleasant as it may sound can really amaze you as to how magic these animals really are.

Due to the siberian’s community howl being of many different pitches and tones, which bounce off the walls and echo, their cry can sound like there are more siberian’s present than their really is. For example, if you have two sibes howling this cry the echo and different pitches can make it sound more like there are a dozen or so sibes in that room! This clever technique is often used by wolves to fool their opponents to thing and believe that their pack is much larger that it actually is.

In most cases, it will take more than just one siberian to make up a large howl. However, you may find that one dog will usually start to howl and then the others will join in accordingly. When this happens, it is known as a chorus howl.

A rather funny fact of the siberian’s howl is they will sometimes howl in tune with the sirens of emergency vehicles (such as fire engines) and also some sibes will howl along when the telephone rings as they will think it as another siberian calling.

Wooing

One of the siberian’s trademarks is their plaintive ‘wooing’ sound. This sound can mean many different things but it will usually be your siberian saying “No, I don’t want too†or “Please don’t leave quite yetâ€Â.

Whining

Although may of us will get annoyed by a siberian’s whine, it is a care soliciting sound. This can also be a sign of submission with a sibe. It can often mean that your sibe is letting you know he/she wants to come in or go out or they want dinner. This can be known as a way of your siberian just wanting some attention, being as family orientated as they are.

Growling

As with many dogs, a growl can be used as a sign of warning. Most sibes may growl when they are protective against something, such as food or toys.

Yelping

A lot of people can often mistake a huskies yelp as a sign of them being in pain. Although, this is true, it doesn’t mean they are in severe pain. A husky may yelp for very simple matters such as his/her toes being stood on or another dog may play bite them and cause slight discomfort. However, as the owner, it is your responsibility to check them and make sure it is something that simple. If you cannot find the source of why they are yelping then it is advised that you call your vet right away as it may be something more serious.

Teeth chattering

This is usually vocally soundless. This is usually from un-neutered males. They will snap their teeth together very quickly and this is normally done when a female is present. It is a known fact that they do this as a sign of sexual excitement and will often be joined by trembling. This can also mean that your sibe want to go for a ride in the car or may even be something as simple as they want to eat dinner.

Body Language

Circling and sniffing

When a dog circles and sniffs the floor, it means they are simply greeting the other dog. The initial greeting of dog will very often start nose-to-nose and if this goes well (i.e. no fight breaking out), then this will then proceed to the rear. Many people think this disgusting, but it is perfectly normal behaviour and is a vital part of each dog letting the other find out everything they need to know, a way to look at it is like when humans greet each other we say our name, age, where we are from, etc.

Mounting

It is not always an expression of sexuality when a dog mounts another dog or human. Many experienced dog owners will know that females mount other dogs and humans as much as males will. Mounting behaviour is also a sign of dominance. If your sibe mounts another dog in your household, it is best to leave them be and not to interfere as this can obscure the packs order and cause fighting to break out. You will find that the mounting will stop when your dogs have worked out who is where in the pack. But, if your dog does mount humans you must discourage them to do so as this is their way of showing you that they are thinking themselves as alpha over yourself.

Pawing

Many people can mistake this as a sign of affection but it is actually another sign of your dogs dominance. Your dog may place his/her paw on another dogs shoulder to show that he/she is dominant over the other and he/she may also do this to humans and is another thing you want to discourage them doing to humans, however cute it may seem.

Bowing

This can be seen mostly is playful dogs/puppies as this is a sign of being playful. If your sibe is showing this behaviour he/she will crouch down in front of you with his/her back end in the air and their tail wagging quickly. This is mainly called bowing due to the behaviour looking like your dog is taking a bow. Other behaviours he/she may show in this state of mind is jumping backwards and forwards, making strange little noises and he may also put his head low and tilt it to one site and show a cock-eyed look at you.

Playing with your sibe when they are sowing this behaviour is guaranteeing yourself to having fun and can be a great time to bond with your sibe.

Nudging / punching

This behaviour is very often your sibe wanting you to come and play with them. They will often nudge/punch you with his/her nose. This can be looked at as a similar sign to bowing but this is usually a more dominant sign of play than the bow. Basically your sibe is being more demanding to you than letting you choose, as in they may be saying please come and play with me when in a bow but when they nudge or punch with their nose they a re basically saying you WILL come and play with me NOW!

Holding hands

Many people will become afraid when your sibe does this but it nothing to worry about (if they were going to bite, it would be quick and with warning). If you sibe does this they will gently hold your hand in their mouth and will not place pressure onto you. They are simply letting you know that they want you to trust them that they are not going to bite you. When you allow your sibe to do this, you are letting them know that you have your faith in them. It can be a great bonding strategy.

Mouth licking

When you dog is/was a puppy, they will often lick their mothers mouth in when they seek food. This is a care-soliciting behaviour which they do and will often do this to their owners as well. Some dogs will also lick the mouth of other dogs and will sometimes have a quite nose around. They may lift the corners of the other dogs mouth and sniff around as a way of seeing what the other dog has eaten recently. A lot of the time, you will find that the most submissive dog will lick the mouth of the most dominant dog.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks very informative. My Naa-ney does the wooing.. I have been trying to video it but no luck i think she knows when i am trying to do so. She Unfortunately doesn't make any sound when she needs outside. If I don't see her go to the door then I am sol and if I am not quick enough same thing. She does this weird but cute thing now. I am working on new tricks.. She stands on her back legs and then sorta leans a bit and waves or paws the air at me.. its so cute.

Thanks very informative. My Naa-ney does the wooing.. I have been trying to video it but no luck i think she knows when i am trying to do so. She Unfortunately doesn't make any sound when she needs outside. If I don't see her go to the door then I am sol and if I am not quick enough same thing. She does this weird but cute thing now. I am working on new tricks.. She stands on her back legs and then sorta leans a bit and waves or paws the air at me.. its so cute.

You will have to get some hidden cameras so she is always on record ;) would love to see a video of her, like the vid you put up of her saying Hello, so sweet!

Im trying to teach Marley to speak too, he said I love you a while ago but I never had the camera :(