Home made rig

Polar is almost one-year old now, one more month to go! I'm pretty excited and can't wait to start training her on a bike. Because bikejoring equipment is hard to come by in China, I made this homemade rig yesterday in anticipation of her training days.

Material: 1-meter retired climbing rope, plastic pipe cut to length, 2 3-meter elastic bungee cords, and 1 locking carabiner. The end result is about 3.3 meters long from the bike-end to the locking carabiner. Is this a good length, or should I make it longer/shorter?

Here are the photos:

gallery_975_180_21816.jpg

gallery_975_180_94923.jpggallery_975_180_93185.jpggallery_975_180_93185.jpggallery_975_180_28141.jpggallery_975_180_22121.jpg

And here's Polar, acting as the unwilling model for my rig::D

gallery_975_180_76818.jpg

gallery_975_180_63096.jpg

gallery_975_180_55719.jpg

gallery_975_180_6758.jpg

Love the pics of Polar lying down with the line attached - probably thinking what is this all about?

Hehe, but Polar is a good sport, I told her down and stay, and she stayed there the whole time while I'm snapping away photos, even though she didn't look all too pleased about it.

Nice-looking setup! 151.gif

I'm jealous! smile.gif

I don't know anything about bikejoring (but hope to soon!), but I am an avid mountain-biker. The only thing I might suggest (again, from a cyclist's point of view) is to move your bike connection down (if possible) underneath the top tube (in that little "V" in the frame behind the head tube where the top tube, head tube, and down tube all come together). Right now, you've got it up on the tippy-top of the head tube -- if it slides up onto your stem/steerer tube while you're under way, it might interfere with the steering. Or maybe leave it where it is and just use some little strap to secure it to make sure it doesn't slide up ...

Just a suggestion, and not ever having done it, for all I know, the setup you have might be 100 percent fine. I am looking forward to trying my dog with the bike in the fall. Just too dang hot here right now (he'd look about as enthused as Polar does in the pics!)

Good luck and be sure to post up pics and vids!

I don't bikejore, but have a few friends that do, and I thought that the whole point about the antennae was to keep the line away from the tyre, i.e., it is rigid above the wheel. Yours, whilst the line is away from the tyre, the tube it is going through isn't, and can still hit against the tyre if the dog slows down or stops. If you can, I think you need to find some way of attaching the pole to the headstock so that it stays above the wheel, rather than dangling down when there is no pull on the line.

Of course I could be totally wrong, it has been known:P but thats just how I thought it was supposed to work.

The main danger while bikejoring is letting your lines slack and it getting caught in the wheel it only takes seconds and it winds round many times pulling the dog in and you usually head right over the handlebars (been there a few times :onot pretty :lol:)The antenna keeps the lines safe and in position but your set up looks pretty good and a lot safer than using just a line ,if your line slacks the pole will hit the wheel but the line wont wind around it sending you into orbit :blink:

Nice-looking setup! 151.gif

I'm jealous! smile.gif

I don't know anything about bikejoring (but hope to soon!), but I am an avid mountain-biker. The only thing I might suggest (again, from a cyclist's point of view) is to move your bike connection down (if possible) underneath the top tube (in that little "V" in the frame behind the head tube where the top tube, head tube, and down tube all come together). Right now, you've got it up on the tippy-top of the head tube -- if it slides up onto your stem/steerer tube while you're under way, it might interfere with the steering. Or maybe leave it where it is and just use some little strap to secure it to make sure it doesn't slide up ...

Just a suggestion, and not ever having done it, for all I know, the setup you have might be 100 percent fine. I am looking forward to trying my dog with the bike in the fall. Just too dang hot here right now (he'd look about as enthused as Polar does in the pics!)

Good luck and be sure to post up pics and vids!

Thanks for the suggestion Cathy, I see what you mean about the knot sliding up. Right now I'm using a self-tightening knot to connect the rope to the bike, the more pressure is on the line, the tighter the knot will get. So once Polar starts to pull, in theory, the knot will cinch tight enough that it won't be able to move up. But of course I haven't used it yet, so I don't know for sure, comes July when I get the Manmat harness for Polar and take her out for a run, I'll know if I need to move the connection to where you suggested. Thank you!

I don't bikejore, but have a few friends that do, and I thought that the whole point about the antennae was to keep the line away from the tyre, i.e., it is rigid above the wheel. Yours, whilst the line is away from the tyre, the tube it is going through isn't, and can still hit against the tyre if the dog slows down or stops. If you can, I think you need to find some way of attaching the pole to the headstock so that it stays above the wheel, rather than dangling down when there is no pull on the line.

Of course I could be totally wrong, it has been known:P but thats just how I thought it was supposed to work.

You're absolutely right, it would be ideal to have the line totally away from the front tire at all times. However, with a limited choice of materials (plus I'm not really a very handy person), I couldn't figure out a good way to fix the line so it stays away from the front tire. I don't have the material (and the know-how) to make an antenna, so this is the easiest method I can think of that might work.

Of course I'm always open to suggestions to make it better.

The main danger while bikejoring is letting your lines slack and it getting caught in the wheel it only takes seconds and it winds round many times pulling the dog in and you usually head right over the handlebars (been there a few times :onot pretty :lol:)The antenna keeps the lines safe and in position but your set up looks pretty good and a lot safer than using just a line ,if your line slacks the pole will hit the wheel but the line wont wind around it sending you into orbit :blink:

Yes, I hope it will work too. But I'm ordering some knee pads and elbow pads just in case...

• 2 weeks later...