Oscar doesnt like anyone walking infront of him?

Basically i walk Oscar 1 on 1 usually as by the time we get home have food, Its time for My son to go to bed and Steph has to stay in the house with him. But due to Steph starting a new job we are getting home earleir and like going out as a family ( My son in the Pram and either me or Steph walking Oscar) when we used to do this i would alway walk in front with Oscar and Steph with the pram behind, but we went out yesterday and i walked behind and osca was going nuts pulling like mad and yelping / crying / howling just to get in front? i have never seen him like it before?

Is this normal and how can i stop him doing it? i was doing the "Stop, Sit and Stay" but it made no difference when he sat down and they were getting further away he would cry even more?

Is it just a case of keep doing the same thing and he will get used to walking behind?

I think the more you do it the better he will get, you just need to be patient - Kimba HAS to be lead dog everytime and if he's not - well - god help my arms lol I feel like inspector gadget - go go gadget arms! blink.gif

How far in front are they?

I generally walk my three on my own, and they dont mind whereabouts they are, one may be a few steps in front etc.

However if im walking with other people and different people are walking my dogs they dont like to get too far about, if I have Loki, then Willow and Thor get about 10 metres in front then Loki will start whining and pulling at the lead. Willow and Thor would also start looking back and wondering where he is. It is the same for all of them.

He could see your son as part of his pack and doesn't want to get too far away???

Sarah x

My husband walks Ozzy and I walk Micah, and they always walk shoulder to shoulder, but when Micah stops to smell or investigate something and then realises Ozzy is way ahead of her, she goes crazy, and tries frantically to reach him. I once had both of them while my husband went on ahead to take photos of a ravine, both of them started pulling and crying to get to him, and the same happens if I lag behind on my own. I think they just want us to all stay together :)

sounds as thought its normal then! If we are walking 5-10 meters behind the pram he goes nuts! but will walk brilliant if he is right beside the pram? i was wondering whether he though of my son as part of the pack and didnt want him to be to far ahead! just worried more than anything that he was getting dominant?

If we go walking with all 15..... (big famaly and lots of kennelhelp) then each one of them wishes to walk in front. as soon as one reaches it that one will settle down but all the ones behind pull to get there aswell. I think its beeing part of the pack. We are their pack and they want to stay together because together your strong.

A lone wolf is weak a pack can deal with things easier and if one of them is afraid the others instantly protect them. Same as when you walk your dog (s) and come along a drunk person or someone who been useing drugs. My dogs instantly turn into pack protective mode. Barking to get them away and makeing alarm barks, short and loud.

Thats the best part of beeing part of a pack :)

Hahahahaha, Sarah thats so funny. I thought I was the only one who remembered "inspector Gadget." lol

I had this issue with Chewy for a little while because at first I used a stroller when walking because my little

girl was too young to walk that far, but then my kids would walk in front of us a little ways so I could see them

and chewy threw a fit for about 3 weeks everytime we walked. The good news is that with patience he did

calm down and now is the best walking buddy ever. Just keep doing what you are doing, and maybe take back

a little leash until he calms down and walks nicely again. I would just reel in the leash til he settled down, make

him sit (and have the kids stop), then when he was quiet about 10 to 15 seconds we would start walking again.

• 3 weeks later...

Mushu does exactly the same thing but its horrible when people r about cos hes flipping in the air n howling n throwin himself about sad.gif I used 2 think it was cute but not anymore, im hopin hes just gunna grow out of it. If u find a way of stoppin it pls let me know x

It is just a case of patience and routine! it took a while and he does still pull but i can walk behind now ( be it on a longer lead with him) and he still pull a bit but there is no howling or going nuts! have also tried with my son walking with me and me walking Oscar and as long as Oscar is side by side with us then he is fine! as soon as my son is a little in front he will pull to get with him.

Just the nature of the Breed i think and will have to learn to live with it! he does get fed up of pulling after about half hr and will walk normally! dont realy mind as my arms are getting a workout without going to the gym! ha ha

I used to worry about what people thought about what he was acting like aswell which got me wound up and made him worse.  At the end of the day you know your dog and know that the only way to correct them is thropugh training to when Mushu does it again just stop, sit her down and calm yourself and then carry on. keep doing it a few times and they will cotton on! worked for me anyway?