Is my wall high enough?

For those who do not know already, I am about to be a proud owner of a Sibe. I just have to wait till May 15 to pick her up.

I have read that Sibe are escape artist. This kind of scares me because my back yard wall is not high enough IMOP. My walls are 4 and half feet. My Stitch (english bulldog) is mainly outside during the day and sleeps in the house at night. Stitch roams around the back yard all day without and chain or leash attached to her.

I want to be able to let my new Sibe to have the same kind of life style at Stitch but I am afraid that the Sibe will jump over the walls. My next door neighbor has a Chihuahua and it running around their back yard all the time. Im afraid if my Sibe would jump over and eat it.

Do you guys think a 4 1/2 feet wall is high enough? If not, what are your suggestion for me to do beside build a higher wall?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 4 1/2 feet will be too low for a husky. I would recommend at least a 6ft fence/wall but not chain link as they can climb this no matter how high.

If you want to let her outside when you are away, I would suggest of large pen with a doghouse in it. I would recommend one at least 10ft x 10ft x 6ft, with a top. I would still stay away from chain link and go with welded mesh. These enclosures can be expensive but the peace of mind is worth it.

If you decide to keep her inside I would recommend you use a crate for while you are away. This is for both the dog's safety and the safety of your house and its belongings.

Good luck with your new puppy and I look forward to seeing lots of pics smile.gif

That is definitely not high enough for a husky (sorry). A 6ft fence would be better but huskies can still jump/dig when they get bored. I would definitely not let your puppy outside unsupervised because that's when they get in trouble.. I know some ppl don't like this idea, but for short actual fences, some ppl double it up with an invisible fence, that way the dog never gets close enough to the fence to challenge it. Sorry it's all I can think of.

I think 4 1/2 feet will be too low for a husky. I would recommend at least a 6ft fence/wall but not chain link as they can climb this no matter how high.

If you want to let her outside when you are away, I would suggest of large pen with a doghouse in it. I would recommend one at least 10ft x 10ft x 6ft, with a top. I would still stay away from chain link and go with welded mesh. These enclosures can be expensive but the peace of mind is worth it.

If you decide to keep her inside I would recommend you use a crate for while you are away. This is for both the dog's safety and the safety of your house and its belongings.

Good luck with your new puppy and I look forward to seeing lots of pics smile.gif

I don't like using a crate because it pretty sad. If I was a dog I would not want to be in a crate. As a puppy I know its a must and I will crate her but as an adult I don't like the idea of crate. I like your suggestion of a 10x10x6 ft pen better. Where can I buy pens from? How much do they go for?

That is definitely not high enough for a husky (sorry). A 6ft fence would be better but huskies can still jump/dig when they get bored. I would definitely not let your puppy outside unsupervised because that's when they get in trouble.. I know some ppl don't like this idea, but for short actual fences, some ppl double it up with an invisible fence, that way the dog never gets close enough to the fence to challenge it. Sorry it's all I can think of.

invisible fence? What is that? near heard of it.

This is the one that I had when I lived over there.

http://www.tractorsu...-6-ft-h-3606740

This is not showing the option for the roof but the one I had came with a roof made the same materials as the rest of it. It was really easy to assemble and very sturdy.

I would put it on a cement slab or at least on paving slabs so that she can't tunnel under it.

I am not affiliated with them, and I don't know if we're allowed to post links to businesses, but you can google invisible fence and the main company site should pop up. There are actually several brands out there and they seems to work according to what ppl say. I once talked to this very nice guy on yahoo that rescues huskies, and he has about 20 huskies that stay on his property with the invisible fence only, no actual fence. Some people object to them because the system gives the dog a shock when it gets to close to the field generated by the wire buried in the ground, but once the dog learns how it works theres no discomfort supposedly. There are pros and cons to the system of course, but just do your research and maybe talk to ppl who have them installed. :)

I am not affiliated with them, and I don't know if we're allowed to post links to businesses, but you can google invisible fence and the main company site should pop up. There are actually several brands out there and they seems to work according to what ppl say. I once talked to this very nice guy on yahoo that rescues huskies, and he has about 20 huskies that stay on his property with the invisible fence only, no actual fence. Some people object to them because the system gives the dog a shock when it gets to close to the field generated by the wire buried in the ground, but once the dog learns how it works theres no discomfort supposedly. There are pros and cons to the system of course, but just do your research and maybe talk to ppl who have them installed. :)

Oh, I know what you are talking about now. Its a shocking collar that dog wear. Yeah, I don't really like that idea of shocking the dog. I'm gonna look up some back yard pens.

If the wall is yours and you can do it, you could add some 2ft wooden panels or STRONG trellis to the top of it to increase the height. Concrete screen blocks are another option. If you can't make it higher, either build your run, or rather than shock collars accosiated with the invisable fence (dubious they would actually be effective through a sibes coat anyway) you could use electric horse tape near the top. We use that at the top of our fence (6ft) to both prevent jumping and stop any neighbourhood cats becoming dietary suppliments for the dogs. You only need the lowest voltage enegiser and the dogs can see the VISABLE deterrent (they can also hear it click) At that low height, you would need warning signs on it and let your neighbour know it's there.

we have a 6ft fence and blaze jumps up at is but has never tried 2 escape i dont think 4ft is high enuf tbh and ive heard that electric fencing wont do much 2 stop a sibe from getting what it wants if it wants it it might stop them running back home tho (if they decided they wanted 2 come back once they were out) if u can i would deffinately get ur fencing sorted asap - good luck with the pup cnt w8 2 c pics :D

What country are you in Ken?

All our kit came from countrystore direct (UK based).

The tapes extra security round our runs, but electric goat fence is ALL that keeps our dogs in our paddock (dry stone Walls are about 4ft high and ours can clear those without thinking about it). We have mustang 5 mains energisers, which are the lowest voltage they do. The dogs will ONLY feel it if they touch the fence with their nose, ears or feet and from experience, they only venture too close once or twice before they work out it bites and then they steer clear. To do your Walls, you need an energiser (mains or battery, in which case you would also need two batteries and a charger) broad horse tape, connectors for the tape and earth spike, tape fixings to screw into the wall (to hold the tape clear of the wall) and a circuit tester, though that's optional, and I test ours by touching it (it's only a tiny jolt and won't hurt you) Dont forget well-placed warning signs if it's anywhere that could be touched by the public or visitors.

some good ideas, here, I agree with the rest, 4 1/2 ft is not high enough for a sibe, they would be well over it the first chance they get! An outside run can be expensive but offers protection & shelter, some people use bars but make sure you get the narrow gauge, vertical bars or the husky will climb it or put it's head through the gaps! Also make sure you have a solid base, i.e. concrete, to prevent digging under the fencing.

Another option I've heard being used, but I've never used it, is attaching your dog to a walk line running the length of your back yard. They have freedom to move but are held within the reach of the line & lead.

I used to tether Kira on a chain and stake, but she did rip it out of the ground a few times blink.gif

The system Val's mentioned is ment to be quite good, I think it works on pullies so the dog has free reign but cant get to the fences to jumo over

The tapes extra security round our runs, but electric goat fence is ALL that keeps our dogs in our paddock (dry stone Walls are about 4ft high and ours can clear those without thinking about it). We have mustang 5 mains energisers, which are the lowest voltage they do. The dogs will ONLY feel it if they touch the fence with their nose, ears or feet and from experience, they only venture too close once or twice before they work out it bites and then they steer clear. To do your Walls, you need an energiser (mains or battery, in which case you would also need two batteries and a charger) broad horse tape, connectors for the tape and earth spike, tape fixings to screw into the wall (to hold the tape clear of the wall) and a circuit tester, though that's optional, and I test ours by touching it (it's only a tiny jolt and won't hurt you) Dont forget well-placed warning signs if it's anywhere that could be touched by the public or visitors.

California, USA

some good ideas, here, I agree with the rest, 4 1/2 ft is not high enough for a sibe, they would be well over it the first chance they get! An outside run can be expensive but offers protection & shelter, some people use bars but make sure you get the narrow gauge, vertical bars or the husky will climb it or put it's head through the gaps! Also make sure you have a solid base, i.e. concrete, to prevent digging under the fencing.

Another option I've heard being used, but I've never used it, is attaching your dog to a walk line running the length of your back yard. They have freedom to move but are held within the reach of the line & lead.

Only one said my backyard is 4 1/2 ft tall. The other 2 walls are higher, one is well over 6 ft and the other is about 5 1/2ft.

I thought about getting a very long chain and attach it to a tree to have her running around the back yard when I'm away. While I'm home she would be off that chain.

i know some people use chain and stuff but that worries me, incase they get tied up whilst your out.

As Val said a walk line running the length of your back yard. They have freedom to move but are held within the reach of the line & lead.

may be better ????

Walk line? What if they bit through it? When I said chain, I was thinking about like 100 ft or 150 ft chain so it can have a big area of coverage all over my back yard. If I find a leash or a walk line that it sturdy enough then I would probably get that instead.

That sounds good but I used to walk Sky and Diesel on a golf course and they had electric fencing around certain areas to keep the rabbits out. A few dogs that walked with us jumped the fence, got a shock and never went near it again. Diesel would jump it and get a shock every single time we went on there. He worked out that there rabbits the other side, and no electric shock was going to stop himsad.gif

For want of a better description, Ken, the walk line (or whatever it's official name is) is at a height that the dog cannot get to it, in the UK, I'd liken it to being washing line height, maybe 6 foot high, running the length of your yard, then attach a lightweight but sturdy metal lead on it that is free to slide the length of the line.

I would worry, like valkyries, that a 50 ft plus lead on the floor would get wrapped round things & harm your pooch :)

You dont want a chain/line that means they can reach the fences, other wise they will jump over and hang themselves. Have it so it's just short of all the fences

Yeah, of course not long enough to her to reach the walls. I have a pretty decent size back yard so thats why I said something like 100 to 150 ft.

For want of a better description, Ken, the walk line (or whatever it's official name is) is at a height that the dog cannot get to it, in the UK, I'd liken it to being washing line height, maybe 6 foot high, running the length of your yard, then attach a lightweight but sturdy metal lead on it that is free to slide the length of the line.

I would worry, like valkyries, that a 50 ft plus lead on the floor would get wrapped round things & harm your pooch :)

Yeah, I was thinking about having a metal lead from my guest house to the rear of my house and have a long leash attached to the metal lead with a ring.

If you do go with some type of line, I would suggest that you use some type of locking clip. I have had occasion with Nikita when she was on a heavy duty chain with a heavy duty trigger clip where she curled up and went to sleep and when she woke up and got up she was no longer attached. Some how will lying down she managed to open the trigger and slip if out the loop on her collar.

I would suggest something like a locking carabiner.