Husky Diets

Hi all,

My 2 huskys are currently 11months old and we feed them science plan puppy large breed.

They have always had intermittent stools (not always solid) the vet just says give them chicken and rice if the stools go loose. Other people have told me it could be their food?

Does anyone else have similar issues and have any adivce onto either a product or range of foods to try? I am going to ween them off the puppy large breed onto adult food next month.

Cheers :)

Science Diet is not the best food. It has quite a high grain content and for the money you spend on it you can get a lot better quality dried food. Corn/maize and grains (including rice) are pointless to feed to dogs because it literally goes straight through them. If you switch to a food with a lower or no grain content you will notice the dogs poo less because they are absorbing more food as opposed to getting rid of all the grain that passes through them.

Not all dogs do well on a raw or BARF diet, but it is definitely worth a try. There is a book by Dr Billinghurst called "give your dog a bone" that is excellent if you want to consider a raw diet. I would do a bit of research into it first, here's a fact sheet if you are interested :)

http://www.barfworld.com/html/barf_diet/barfdiet_faq.shtml

I have heard that Science Plan isn't as good as they say it is. I used to feed my boys on the Purina ProPlan but this didn't do much good to their stomach due to the colourings and other additives they put in the food. I now feed mine on Wainwrights food as a permanent meal and they also get a variety of Raw bones, gammon, chicken, lamb and beef through the week. They don't get meat every day but every other day they do.

I have been reading about the BARF diet through the links on here and am thinking about changing to that but it's not a definate desicision yet. The majority of Husky Owners I know feed theirs on this diet and say its brilliant

great link smeagle added to rep, going to print this off now and have a read through as to be honest, i don't know much about the barf diet, thanks!

Thanks - that particular link is from Dr Billinghurst's BARF site here in Oz, and it is largely referring to the pre made BARF patties you can buy. They are ok but it is much better IMO to make your own - and if you read his book he tells you how to do it. It may sound daunting at first but it's not as hard or complicated as you initially think!

• 3 months later...

Hi,

My Husky is 10month old, we've only had him 2 weeks so are still getting to know him. Since the day we brought him home from rescue, his stools have been very loose. The vet advised us to give him rice and chicken for 48hrs and then James Wellbeloved. His stools were fine on the rice and chicken but have been a bit looser on the kibble. The only problem is that when he was on the rice and chicken he became really 'greedy'. He would scoff his meal in seconds and then be on the scrounge all day until his next feed.On the kibble he makes it last for ages and doesn't seem very interested after a few mouthfuls. Is this quite normal husky behaviour with food?

Hi Ramona, how much to you feed of the kibble and how often? Huskies have very sensitive stomachs at 10 months, he would only need 1 or 2 meals a day.

Did you find out what food he was on before you got him?

fazz, we had the same problem with Suka, he cannot tolerate the standard chicken and rice foods, he is on wainwrights salmon and potato it's the only one he can tolerate! Our old lab had a sensitive stomach due to his illness and the vet told us that dogs with a sensitive stomach cannot have standard chicken and rice, they need simple carbs and proteins such as potato and salmon or turkey, i have followed that advice ever since. Wainwrights is a great food, and it is reasonably priced too :) Way to go on sorting out the poop.

Ramona, if your husky was fine with chicken and rice, i would perhaps not give white rice as it is a fast release carb, so all the energy is released too fast once digested, this makes you hungry shortly after, i would switch back to chicken and rice, but use brown (wholemeal) rice instead, it is a slower release of energy and should help keep your husky going for a little bit longer.

Thanks,

He has 2 meals a day, I use some of the leftovers of his first meal to stuff a kong with some peanut butter to bind it. The shelter told me he was on dry complete puppy food only. Feeds were twice daily. It was interesting to read about the rice because we did give him white rice and while he was on the rice and chicken he not only was very greedy but also really hyper/excitable. We thought it must be the chicken, but couldn't understand why it would be.

Regards,

Ramona

Good advice Sammie, added to rep.

I would keep him on one brand of food for the moment, sibes don't do well if you chop and change their diet all the time.

When my boys get runny stools, i put a tablespoon of chappie in with their kibble, this seems to work quite well with mine.

Have you tried skipping a meal and seeing how he does when you introduce the meal he would normally have later in the day? If his stools don't improve you could starve him for 24 hours, don't worry about doing this, it will just give his tummy time to settle down. At 10 months, he should be on an adult food now as well as he won't need the high protein of puppy food for growth.

Keep us posted on how you get on :)

Science plan is crappy and all vets will readily reccamend it! Alaska was on this at 7 weeks and she got the runs bad and her poo was never firm, then i switched to james wellbeloved duck and rice and since then weve fed lamb and rice, fish and rice << it's great food and sensitive for the digestion >>> our two (bro and sis) are 11 months and are a good weight and have fim stools >> but i think a mixture of raw food is the best...would you ever consider feeding half raw, half kibble?

here's a link on the kibble we feed >>> you can look at my picceys and see how my two look weight wise..pretty decent lol:

http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/dog/duck__rice_kibble/ingredients__analysis/puppy_performance.aspx

We still feed puppy, and will do so until 18 months

When I got Loki he had terrible runs!!

I starved him for one day then fed him small/often meals of boiled chicken and rice through the day. We fed this for about 4 days, with no treats or extras.

We then began adding his kibble to this in small stages, until after about a week it was sole kibble.

This did work and whenever we get fosters in with the same issues we do the same and it works.

We feed Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Salmon and Rice

Sarah x

Yep sammie, it does seem that Wainwrights is the best for ours :)

When rocky & skyler were younger and they had loose stools, chicken and rice helped settle their stomach, when we weened them onto the dry food, we also introduced plain yoghurt as it acts as a probiotic and helps to settle the stomach also. Thankfully we havent had any issues recently. :D

Thanks sooo much for the advice, I'll definately look at the link! I've now put Rocky onto Junior feed, he's not very interested, but he's always on the scrounge! I don't want to give him any bad habits though. His main 'love' seems to be bread!!! Really don't understand this.

Regards,

Ramona

P.S any tips on what to put in his kong please, to avoid repitition?