While at work ...

thebomb

Good day.

Just want to have some advise form you guys:

My wife and I work from 8 to 5. Would the dog become rambunctious and bored because we are to there most of the time?

I will train the dog everyday and take it for regular walks and runs? But will this be enough? Will this be enough so that the dog will turn out a family friend or foe?

me and my wife (sarah) also work the same hours as yourselves and have 2 huskies. I come home at dinner every day to give them a bit of a run around and they are both very happy. To be honest most of the time when I come home they are fast asleep lol.

In answer to your question, they will be fine so long as they are not there for the full 8 hours IMO, ie.would make sure you come home at dinners every day without fail. You'll also be a lot better as you will be giving them plenty of exercise.

Welcome to the forum :) .. I'm sure you'll get plenty of other opinions also :)

Hello Marc

Thanks for the welcoming message :)

Will you agree with me that exercise is the key to keeping to Dog Happy? I really want a Siberian Husky and already did a lot of research on the breed, but my concern is that I DO NOT want to make the dogs life miserable.. . I do understand that i needs exercise and a lot of attention and will do everything in my power to give it that. But because we have to work will it be enough to keep the dog happy?

Firstly, welcome to the site :D

Have you already got a dog or are planning to get a dog?

My partner owns his owns business and I work for him and we are at the shop for the majority of the day and I was worried before we got Gizmo that he would be on his own all day and that would increase the risk of him developing Separation Anxiety and could also cause him to be alot more 'hyper' than usual and make it harder to house train him. Luckily our nextdoor neighbour is a very nice lady who is at home for the majority of the day so we let her know that we were going to be getting a puppy and would she mind popping around our house every hour or so to let him out for a wee and possible play with him. I was expecting her to say no as it was rather cheeky of us, but she agreed and we said we would pay her a little for doing so. And so, having this in mind we bought Gizmo. Because we already had Gizmo when we decided to extend our family to 2 more huskies we didn't bother asking our neighbour to pop around, plus Jamie said I could stay at home with them (woohoo!) so I was there to let them out and keep them occupied.

There are many people in your situation which really want to get a dog or puppy but feel that they can't due to the hours they work. As Marc said, it is possible for you to have a dog/puppy and still work the hours you do. If it is a puppy you get then they will need feeding 3-4 times a day until about 6 months so you would need to ensure someone is there to make sure they get fed. Also exercise is very important, especially with a breed like the Sibe as they do love to run. Like Marc and Sarah do they walk theirs first thing in the morning before they go to work so their sibes can burn of some energy and help to relax them whilst on thier own. This doesn't have to be a long walk just about 30mins to 1hr walk for them. When they are puppy, you can't usually take them on walks until about 12 weeks old so if you got a puppy get a few toys for him/her to play with whilst your not there and also run around with them when your there and play with him/her and the toys as this can also help with more important areas such as training.

I hope this makes sence. Basically what Im saying is you can still get a dog/puppy with the hours you work. There is just a few things to take into consideration which you already have by reading your question.

Good Luck ;)

Thank you siberian_wolf for your welcome. :)

To answer your question, i dont have one yet. But my relatives on my wife side has 3 left, 2 males and 1 female.

I would like to buy one male (they have blue eyes, very beautiful) as i said already did a lot of research on the dogs. So your answers have made up my mind, going to take one. :)

But please feel free to give me more advise :D

Welcome to one of the best places I've found regarding the Siberian. We have many, many members who know their Siberians inside and out---

My boy is 14 now and my husband still goes home over lunch to let him out for a jaunt. (Though at his age, the "jaunt" is more of a potty call than exercise -- he's totally content now to just lay around and occassionally terrorize the cat)

You must also remember that Sibes are very, very intelligent. They will quickly learn how to manipulate you if you're not alert to what's going on.

Best of luck with your new furry family member. Enjoy and be ready to post lots and lots of pictures!

welcome to the site im sorry i cant help u as sum1 is always home to look after ours but cnt w8 to c pics ov ur new furry friend and hope u find all the help u need here i no i did (every1 is really friendly aswell so dnt b scared 2 post ANY questions at all even 1s u may think are abit silly)

Hello Marc

Thanks for the welcoming message :)

Will you agree with me that exercise is the key to keeping to Dog Happy? I really want a Siberian Husky and already did a lot of research on the breed, but my concern is that I DO NOT want to make the dogs life miserable.. . I do understand that i needs exercise and a lot of attention and will do everything in my power to give it that. But because we have to work will it be enough to keep the dog happy?

Yep exercise is very important for keeping a Sibe happy, but exercise is not the only important thing you need to do. Training is also a very key factor in owning a husky, because they can be very strong willed and will take advantage if you let them.

The other thing to remember is that until a Siberian is close to 12 months of age, you should not be exercising them too much - a puppy's joints are soft and still developing, and too much exercise can damage them.

If the dog is going to be home alone for eight hours most days, you should also think of ways to keep it mentally and physically stimulated otherwise it might get bored and destructive.

With us Sakora lives outside but, because the people I rescued her from kept her outside and left her alone , never walked her or really played with her, So she was very destructive, she had dug a huge Crater in there yard, I've had her for 3 months now and we've had no problem, My neighbor stays home he also checks on sakora every couple of hours,I work 3 days a week for 8h , I make sure she has femur bones and gerally stuff to play with and chew while I'm at work, also lots of walks work for her, Youll find what works for you, When we get a puppy I will probably kennel him/her in the house until its a bit older and check in every couple of hours! then when old enogh him/her can be outside with Sakora! IF thats where it wants to be